Google Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Google Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 17, 2017

3.4

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Very poor and demanding. And programming... funny.
    Treated people like a artificial intelligence machines. Crazy. Corporation will always be corporation. Marketing doesn't matter.

Very poor and demanding. And programming... funny.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview, through hangouts, followed by five onsite technical interviews, required coding in the whiteboard and in a google document.
    I was given the choice of programming language to use (Python,Java,C++), except for one interviewer that requested me to write the code in Java.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: Given a keyboard like the ones that appear on a TV screen and a word, print an optimal sequence of moves necessaries to type the word. The possible moves are UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGH,ENTER(to select a character). The starting point is always the top left corner.   1 Answer

Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process is quite straightforward but usually depends on the availability of the role and their current headcount. I applied via referral. It took 12 days for them to get back and approve my application. They asked to fill in the short form with the motivational questions: why google. your proud achievement. your availability. etc After they review it, you get an HR confirmation interview that's focused on your general understanding of the role. Why Google? what google does, What account strategist does, what main products do we have, why this role..nothing unexpected. The second stage consists of three interviews with google team members. So far I've done two of them (waiting for another one). The first one is a sales pitch - you're given a particular client and you have to talk over their challenges ( demand decline, slow growth) and suggest adwords solutions. My advice is to learn more about adwords and read success stories and forums so you can identify easily what can go wrong. Also ask follow up questions e.g : What's the traffic been like ? what's the company's pas performance? You will show your kwledge of the clients relationships. The second interview is very role focused and based on understanding of you daily activities. Still waiting for their reply. Hope it helps. They are friendly and open people so it's important for them to see your honesty. Don;t make up things. It's better admit that you're unsure than to lie.

Interview Questions

• -Why Google? What is Adwords? What if you were given a portfolio that consists of 500 clients? How would you manage it? What's your recent challenge? Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

This was a referral by a contact at Google.

Within a few days of sending in my CV, a member of the HR team got in touch to arrange interview slots. The interview process was very slick, and any changes/updates were communicated immediately.

In total, I had two face-to-face interviews (On the job knowledge and Leadership) and two over Hangouts (Cognitive ability and 'Googleyness') around the end of October 2016.

Several weeks passed by without an update, so I chased both my referrer and my recruiter. Both said there had been some delays due to people being out of office. I waited a few more weeks, chased again still nothing.

It is now approaching the end of January 2017 and still no update, despite following up over e-mail/phone.

While I'm not holding my breath for an offer, I am a little surprised that I never heard back either way.

Perhaps I slipped through the net, or maybe my recruiter is just ineffective. In any case, it has been an overall negative experience, and I hope that Google pays attention to this sort of review in order to improve the process for others.

Interview Questions

• Google do not allow candidates to share details of interview questions. If you get through to the interview stage, your recruiter will give you a good idea of what to expect for each of the four interviews.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I had 2 telephone interviews with Google - the first was the normal hangout session where I was asked the standard questions about my experience. The second was a problem solving interview, which confused me as I knew this wasn't the standard Google interview format (usually next stage is in person meeting). The interview consisted of 3 hypothetical questions - 2 of which had nothing to do with recruitment and the aim was to see how your thought process worked. My interviewer phrased questions very negatively e.g. 'Can you not think of anything else?' As a recruiter myself, I would never phrase questions like this as it leaves a bad impression with the candidate (which it did with me). I also spoke to several people in the Dublin office who were cold and unhelpful. Overall, even if Google wanted to proceed with me - I wouldn't have accepted as the interview process is not candidate focussed at all, and the interviewers were uninspiring.

Interview Questions

• 1) 'You are asked to lead a training programme at Google and the attendance is low - what do you do next'

2) 'How do we check that our customers are happy with our product'
      Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online in July, took a few weeks to get a response from Google. The processes started with Google asking me to fill out some questions in relation to a project that i'd worked on. After submitting this i was quickly pushed on to the next stage. About a couple of weeks later, I had a virtual meeting with the hiring manager who asked me some product related questions as well as a few sql questions. E.g. how would you know when to send a push-up notification to a consumer, what metrics would you look at / measure / optimize upon. I also passed a sql test at this point. The product-related questions were pretty open ended.

It took about 2 weeks to find out that I'd be accepted to the next and final stage of the process (it was strange that they would take so long in making that decision. At this point, i had accepted a job elsewhere, however after relentlessly applying over a number of years i wanted to push through this to the end.)

The next and final stage of the process was in the London HQ , 4-in a row + (?business lunch?) interview process. I thought my first interview went really well as i felt i answered questions okay, and they were open ended. I got a "hope to see you soon" kind of ending - but the questions were so relentless that there was barely enough time for me to ask a lot of questions at the end and understand the role i was applying for in better detail. The second interview was similar, ending with a quick sheet of paper where i was told to demonstrate / define linear regression and then quickly told to write some sql code based on some columns , the question had make me nervous as I didn't fully understand what the output / business case of the problem was trying to solve and it was a twister using counts/subqueries where i didn't stay calm. Before i could finish, the interviewer had to end the session for lunch and took my paper.

After this there were 2 video calls remaining - these interviewers were pretty friendly and asked me to go through more product based questions (e.g. how would you decide what to show someone on netflix, what programming skills do you know, types of joins, etls etc.) The last one ended with a sql test which i thought went better than the second one but i think there was something that they didnt like in the way i was writing or i didnt make myself 'sound confident' . I think this was partly the basis of my application getting rejected or not being strong enough, they did not give proper feedback following the process and it really left a bitter taste for me. I've applied so many times and not to get strong feedback / weighing up negatives/positives after reaching the final stage really left me pissed off to be frank.
    If they are looking for programmers / statisticians rather than industry business analysts then it should be more clear. I can also write queries with all joins, various functions, subqueries as well as picking up new functions off the table but if I'm given 30 sec to look at dataset and crunch and then get harsh criticism for my code (where i'm not a full programmer) then so be it. I'm honestly not sure if i feel like even trying to apply again. I also felt a bit of a arrogance from a couple of the people in the recruitment process as well as some robotic-ness from HR (you don't have to explicitly tell me the timezone of our call when you know i'm based in the UK already and we just spoke 20min prior to arranging the call. Also got a couple of memes from their HR... felt odd more than anything.)

Interview Questions

• what type of sql joins do you know   1 Answer

Smb Account Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. After submitting a CV, I was contacted by a recruiter. I was invited to participate in a fairly standard competency based telephone screening. The next stage was an interview with a member of the team I have applied to. This interview consisted of a mock sales pitch and some competency questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you successfully lead a team to solve a problem.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Phone screening referring mostly to my CV and motivations but also one or two (easy) technical questions (e.g. complexity of a particular sorting algorithm).
    Technical phone interviews vary a lot from one google engineer to another. For the internship there will be two phone coding tests, for the permanent position just one. Usually they include two coding questions, one easier, one more difficult.

Interview Questions

• One of the more unexpected questions was to give a rough estimate of 2 to the 200.   2 Answers

Finance Interview

Interview

Two consecutive 30 minutes skype interviews with two senior analyst one by one.
    They use hangouts but it doesn't work later so they called me.
    Questions:
    1. What is the first line of SQL?
    2. What languages do you speak?

Interview Questions

• 1. What is the first line of SQL?
      2. What languages do you speak?
      Answer Question

Bizdev Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Pleasant and professional. Got through several rounds consisting of personal fit, professional experience, and situational interviews.
    They really want to see how well you can perform on the spot and be flexible.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked a situational question to sell an Ad product to a client and to describe the process behind it.   Answer Question