Google User Experience Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google User Experience Designer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 14, 2017

2.9

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I was contacted by HR through a phone call, 2-3 weeks after applying. They matched me to a few teams. Then I had phone interviews with the teams. The teams wanted people who could code and design. The interviews were not difficult for a person who has both skills

Interview Questions

• General design interview with front0end coding questions   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and asked my friend to give me a refer during the application period. I was contacted by a recruiter about a week later and finished a questionnaire of which team I'm interested and some of my background. Then as every intern did, I was put into the candidate pool. You'll be there for up to 6 weeks. If there is a host like to move forward with you, you will get an interview. If not, you fail.

The experience of recruiting was so nice, since the recruiter emailed me saying I wasn't forgotten by Google because I didn't get a response for 3 weeks. Fortunately, I was contacted by her because a host in NYC would like to have an phone interview.

You'll get the first name of the host and a sentence about the project they want you to involve. The interview took about 45 mins as a pretty normal one. She described the project and asked 2 behavior questions. Then I spent about 20 mins for a portfolio review. Last but not least, questions for interviewers.

After about a week, I was told that she'd like to move forward and got the offer.

Interview Questions

• How could you describe interaction design to someone don't know interaction design?   1 Answer
    • What kind of person are you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

I was approached via email by one of their recruiters, who asked me to submit my name for a position on their UX team. I was never sent a description of a job. This has happened twice in the past 3 years. In the first instance, I only spoke with a recruiter who "shopped" my resume around to teams to see if they thought there was a fit. There wasn't. The second time I got through to someone on their UX team. He asked me questions about my work and my portfolio, and he described the workplace at Google. The recruiter called me about 2-3 days later to ask how I thought the interview went; I thought it went well. I was actually pretty surprised and devastatingly disappointed when the recruiter told me that I wasn't right for Google. I didn't get any feedback about what they didn't like.

I have to rate this as a pretty negative experience on Google's part. It's incredibly rude to ask someone to interview for a position where pre-screening hasn't already taken place. In my experience, if an in-house recruiter contacts me, it's because someone has already chosen a subset of candidates. To me, this is like being personally invited to a party, and then being rejected by the bouncer.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between information architecture and user experience?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your work.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

I applied online and few weeks later, got an email from the recruiter. and scheduled an interview via email. talked 30 minutes with a user experience designer at google, asked me about my design process, portfolio, previous experience and did some design exercise. didn't make it to the next step

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen and then a phone interview with a designer. Phone interview consisted of a portfolio review and a critique exercise where I picked an app and critiqued it with the interviewer. I was then invited to do a design challenge and after that was accepted I was invited onsite in Mountain View for a day of interviewing. The onsite consisted of a two part design presentation to a group of about 8-10 designers from different teams across Google. The first part of the presentation was the design challenge and the second part was presenting a project from my portfolio. I then fielded questions from the group of designers. After the presentation session I did a series of one on one interviews with the same designers I presented to in the morning. In total I did about 6 one on one interviews which included mini design challenges, technical and behavioral questions. Overall all the interviewers were friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Design a system for controlling a toy car with a smartphone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the recruiting agency. Then a brief phone conversation with the hiring manager, and then moved into an on-site interview in the SLU offices. The on-site interview was with the hiring manager in a 1:1 setting. Very casual setting. Had a positive conversation.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to walk through some projects and explain my design process. Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied in December of 2014. Got an interview request via Twitter, didn't make the first team, got picked up by the second team. First round of interviews with team A consisted of learning about me and my work. Same went for the second interviewer.

Team B contacted me as well, set up another (and final) interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you walk me through one of your projects?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Had a great phone interview with the internal recruiter - it's Google, and the job requirements are fairly standard, so that went well. I had a follow up phone interview (not even Google Talk?), and was disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm from the interviewer on the design team. I felt like he was reading questions off of a script, and didn't actually engage with me at all on my experience or how I'd add value to the team. I understand interviewing other people isn't the most fun thing in the world, but felt like this person was literally phoning it in. His responses to my questions about how they build and what processes they had made me want to hand him a coffee. There was also no follow up to say if I would be getting another interview, or that they went with another candidate. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions - fairly standard. Wasn't prepared for the lack of enthusiasm though.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Had a couple of friends recommend me. A recruiter contacted me by e-mail to schedule a phone screening.

Interview Questions

• Oddly enough, why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Applied on internet, recruiter contacted, phone interview