Google Interview Questions in Zurich, Switzerland | Glassdoor

Google Interview Questions in Zurich, Switzerland

Updated Feb 5, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Interview

The hiring process consists in two hangouts interviews and a full day multiple interview session at their office. Recruiters are cool and always at your disposal. Only the first interview is not technical, the others are strongly oriented to algorithms and data structures.

SWE/SRE Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in November 2016.

Interview

I sent my resume to an employee for referral
    A human recruiter contacted me and told me to fill a questionnaire about my skills and interests
    I attended a interview preparation session on google hangouts
    I had to schedule two 45min interviews and choose programming language (C++,Python,Java)
    Technical Interviews - like competitive programming - codeforces, topcoder
    I failed the interviews, but if I hadn't, the next stage would be find a host team

Interview Questions

• Count consecutive equal integers in an array
      Depth first search using recursion
      Topological sort with cycle detection
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in November 2016.

Interview

The process took two months. Applied through employee referral and had a 2 interviews via Google Hangouts. Then there is a host matching phase where I had several host matching interviews until matched with a project.

Interview Questions

• Algorithms and data structures questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)).

Interview

Been contacted by a recruiter after an employee referral. After a couple of phone calls with the recruiter I had a Phone screening interview and 5 on-site interviews. Both of them involved solving relatively short programming problems. The problems are roughly at the same level of top-coder medium problems.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in October 2016.

Interview

All was perfect, I went to Zurich, all expenses are reimbused by Google. Other than this all was perfect and well-designed. Even Google gave lots of gifts before the interview.

Software Development Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interviewers were pleasant and helpful. The questions were programming problems based around fairly difficult puzzles and algorithms. There were 2 interviews of roughly 45 minutes each at the end of which I was asked to ask my queries. I was required to discuss my algorithm/solution to the problem, think of more efficient alternates, think up an implementation and code clean and bug free on google docs in a language out of C++/Java/Python.

Interview Questions

• How do you evaluate the reverse polish notation. Additionally implement a variant that also allows assigning values to variables, recalling them and reassigning them as an addition to the RPN.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in October 2016.

Interview

The very next day after appling on the company website I have got a call from one of their recruiters. We scheduled a first on screen hangout. After that we schedule a technical interview with a Google engineer on screen via shared drive document of about 45min. I decided to take 1 week from the first general interview to the second technical one in order to study.

Interview Questions

• To implement in Java a Breadth First Search on a NxN char grid in order to find the shortest path to a desired char starting from a random position.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in July 2016.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter through LinkedIn. We first had an informal call, whereby after some general chat he asked me if I'd like to proceed to a tech part, which I did. There were a sequence of questions related to networking, processes, and linux administration, but not deep-diving, more like probing the overall orientation. After this call we agreed to follow up with a tech interview call.

The tech call included two relatively involved but still fairly easy questions related to navigation through tree and graph data structures. The next day I was called and invited directly to an onsite.

The onsite consisted of five whiteboard problem solving sessions, with a lunch in between. The coding tasks were fairly easy, but the interviewers did not ask to optimise the solutions, which turned out to be the killing point, as they expected me to be proactive and suggest improvements without asking. There also was a NALSD session, and a troubleshooting one. Both of which apparently went worse than they expected, though also better than I anticipated, given hardly any previous experience.

Overall, the process was very smooth, with Google showing amazing patience for my limited availability. The recruiters were very friendly, the interviewers very kind, and the questions interesting and challenging. I did catch one of the interviewers on not really knowing the details of the internals he was asking about, which surprised me, as did the outcome, since they were a bit picky while showing some ignorance themselves. Nonetheless, I feel they were all very engaged, experienced, smart people, genuinely interested in learning about my skills.

The entire process took a long time, but that was because I specifically asked them to wait for me to be available, which they did without any complaint, what I can only wholeheartedly admire.

Interview Questions

• I haven't signed any NDA, but was informally asked not to share the questions.
      You need to refresh your algorithms and data structures, system administration, and coding skills, as well as get familiar with the SRE type of work, problems, etc, best if you can get grip of their recently released book (check with O'Reilly).
      Answer Question

Software Engineer University Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in July 2016.

Interview

After passing the phone and hangout interviews, one is asked to come to a Google office to go through five technical onsite interviews. Those interviews consist of algorithms, data structures, and system design questions that should be solved in 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Graph algorithms, system design, designing data structures   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Google (Zürich (Switzerland)) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied for this position online and soon received an invitation for a 45 minute phone interview. During this process I communicated via e-mail directly with the senior person in charge of the recruitments. Everything well so far.

I prepared well for the interview and at the agreed time received a phone call from another (propably more junior) employee. The problem was that this person did not seem to be able to speak English at an intelligible level. After he had spoken a few sentences, I had missed his name altogether and I also did not know, whether he is speaking English or some other language. He read directly from a paper, mumbled most words, and spoke in a very monotonous voice. Obviously, the interview did not go very well, as I had to answer the questions based on one or two words I recognized in a sentence. Next working day after the interview I received an e-mail telling me that they would not like to go forward with my application :)

Come on Google, you can do better, hire a person that speaks English. You are making your applicant fail.

Interview Questions

• "Describe p value"   Answer Question
    • Suppose that you are using eye tracking on a cross-eyed participant and the calibration cannot be successfully. What do you do?   1 Answer