Government of Canada Creative Services Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Creative Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in August 2007.

Interview

My application went in early in April. This was the standard online application used for Government positions, wherein it's so important to use all the keywords you can to be screened in.

About two months later, I received a phone call inviting me to an interview. The interview was to be 2 weeks later, though it got rescheduled at the last second to be another week after that. I still don't know if this was a flexibility test or not!

The actual interview was attended by the manager of this position -- a director -- and his manager, a Director General. Upon arriving I was given a sheet of the questions they would ask, and was put into an empty office to review those and make any notes. After 20 minutes I was taken to the interview room, which was another office.

The interview was actually fairly casual, in tone, though it was a formal scored interview. In government interviews the questions are pre-determined, and the answers are scored based on whether candidates touch on the necessary points or not. Interviewers spend a lot of time writing and scoring. I was given constant feedback throughout the interview, however, indicating when I had answered in enough detail, or prompting for more.

I gave a sheet with my references (as had been requested) and left. Three months later, having heard nothing more at all, I got a call indicating that they would be checking my references within the week. Three weeks later, they did check the references. Three weeks after that, I got the call that the job was mine if I was still interested. This was a slow and arduous process -- worse than the typical post-interview process in government.

Interview Questions

• Questions along the line of "can you tell us about a time when..." because it's always so hard to remember a good example, instead of just the first thing that comes to mind!   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation as I was already a Public Servant. I could negotiate start dates, that's it.