Government of Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2017

3.1

Trade Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Two employees of the embassy interviewed me. They were looking for specific skills for a specific project so they have asked me a very specific question like where I have proven that I have those skills they are looking for. They also wanted to know whether I have the industry knowledge based on in which industry I will be active the most.

Interview Questions

• What innovative way would you approach top executives from TNC´s? (As email and phone don´t always work that well)   Answer Question

Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview process includes a test and in person interview. The test looks for how you handle projects and your writing skills. The in person interview is with a pannel and looks to see your people skills. The questions are both personal and knowledge based. The process is one interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you do speak any language you claim to. They will ask you a question in that language to gauge your ability. Most of the questions are how to handle people and situations, make sure you consider your personal approach.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase with a government position. The salaries are publicly posted and they will not and cannot budge on salary.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Interview

Consist of in person interview of speaking with the hiring manager, technical test of typing and using websites.Basic questions were asked, as long as you have office working experience and can use a computer, pass the background checks , and is a Canadian citizen, you should be able to qualify.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

It was great! My interviewer was very interested in what I had to say. He also explained the atmosphere and job requirements very well. The interview was easy and fast.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Two weeks after the written exam I received an e-mail inviting me to an interview. It has been scheduled in about 10 days and the skills the interviewers will assessed were indicated in the invitation. The interview lasted half an hour. The interviewers were professionals. Overall, I had a positive experience even though I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation when you had to manage many priorities at the same time   Answer Question

Senior Real Estate Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Halifax, NS (Canada)).

Interview

The process is extremely fair and open, but candidates really need to know their material with very specific knowledge about the position, policies and business practices. This is not an entry level position. I applied after years of experience in this specific business unit. Lower level positions may be open at some date, where industry experienced people or people with other levels government experience may be screened in for an open job competition.

Interview Questions

• Questions about Treasury Board policy on real property processes.   1 Answer

Payment Services Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

The interview process was straightforward. I would recommend taking your time thinking about your answer and writing down points that they want you to cover. There is no reason to be intimidated. One thing you should remember is that passing the interview doesn't guarantee you a position, instead, you are placed in pool of qualified candidates. The entire process can takes weeks up to months.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an angry client?   1 Answer

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Department of Fisheries and Oceans, correspondence unit. Was greeted in lobby by someone on the interview panel. Make small talk while going up and assume your interview starts when you walk in the door. Brought to a small room where I had half an hour to prepare answers to the questions in advance. 5 Questions. Could take notes. In panel interview (3 ppl) only those exact questions can be asked. You must answer all parts of the question and give examples from your past experiences. You will be told in advance very clearly what your interview will be about and it is easy to imagine the type of questions you will get.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you faced a questionable situation involving values and ethics and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Gatineau, QC (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Asked to attend a group interview with the hiring manager and others from the work group. The external recruiter was also present. I was told about the general plan for the work group and type of relationship I would have with the clients, the project managers, the IT staff and what the overall goal of the larger project was.

I then spoke providing greater detail on the projects I worked on for the last 10 years: what were there goals, how I worked with the team, etc. I then discussed my strengths and weaknesses and gave examples of each.

Interview Questions

• Describe the work you did in various jobs over the last 10 years. Which skills did you use? Give examples of the main skills you used in each project. Specify in detail and talk about how well each of these techniques worked. How did you meet a challenge? What did you do wrong and how did you deal with it? What documents did you create. How did you work with IT? How did you work with the business units?   Answer Question

Payment Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

Relatively slow process. Was sent a test via email a few weeks after applying online. Was notified a week after test submission I had passed to the next phase, was brought in for an interview, told to wait in a small, windowless silent room and to call when I arrived; phone didn't work and I had no access to any doors for assistance, so was kept waiting for a while. Finally found someone in the hallway and they let me in. Interview took 40 minutes, two people interviewed me, by explaining the process then leaving the room. All questions were essay style.