Government of Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Government of Canada

3.1

Trade Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Two employees of the embassy interviewed me. They were looking for specific skills for a specific project so they have asked me a very specific question like where I have proven that I have those skills they are looking for. They also wanted to know whether I have the industry knowledge based on in which industry I will be active the most.

Interview Questions

• What innovative way would you approach top executives from TNC´s? (As email and phone don´t always work that well)   3 Answers

Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview process includes a test and in person interview. The test looks for how you handle projects and your writing skills. The in person interview is with a pannel and looks to see your people skills. The questions are both personal and knowledge based. The process is one interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you do speak any language you claim to. They will ask you a question in that language to gauge your ability. Most of the questions are how to handle people and situations, make sure you consider your personal approach.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase with a government position. The salaries are publicly posted and they will not and cannot budge on salary.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2010.

Interview

Consist of in person interview of speaking with the hiring manager, technical test of typing and using websites.Basic questions were asked, as long as you have office working experience and can use a computer, pass the background checks , and is a Canadian citizen, you should be able to qualify.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Government of Canada in January 2008.

Interview

Typical interview, where they asked the behavioural questions. They have situation questions. Just be yourself and know all your previous skills and experiences very well before you go into the interview. There was only 1 interview and after they gave me an offer. The interview was typical, around 30 minutes or so.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where a teammate wasn't pulling their weight. What did you do?   Answer Question

Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, lasted under twenty minutes. Corresponded with HR for about two weeks, then with manager for a few weeks to schedule time. Manager actually failed to show up on time for the first scheduled interview, but was very polite about it and quick to reschedule.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the public service, what traits do you bring to the workplace?   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Crazy convoluted hiring process that takes over a year. Managed to get though the test (although I failed many in other competitions first). Interview was 5 questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had two conflicting choices and had to use your judgement to move forward?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't one, you accepted whatever was offered

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in May 2009.

Interview

Panel interview against 15 people. Two of us were hired for 4 months to compete against each other. one of us was hired on a full time basis. There was a phone interview, followed by two months of wiating for a one on one interview. They also performed background checks which prevented me from working there for a month.

Interview Questions

• What are your opinions on the duty to democracy and parliament under a minority government. I thought it was an odd question, and have no idea if I answered it right.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated to get into an accelerated promotion program, but there was no room to negoiate starting salary.

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

usually written exam, then interview, then reference check, then another interview to see if fit the position. Usually really long process.

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Government of Canada in April 2009.

Interview

Test, then group interview

Interview Questions

• Explain your leadership capabilities   1 Answer

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Informal word-of-mouth process leading to a one-year contract but a promotion. Very arbitrary. There were jobs I fully qualified for but were rejected from and those I barely qualified for but were accepted to based solely on character reference, the capacity and desperation of the potential employer to hire.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would enjoy working on this issue?   1 Answer