Government of Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Government of Canada Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

3.1

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

Initial interview in the Toronto office, followed by comprehensive technical testing (2hr exam) in Ottawa. Variety of methods used to interview: an initial knowledge test (multiple choice), a panel discussion, the exam, another panel interview. Selected to hire by multiple units within the department - was told I will have a choice of which offer to accept. In the end, they coordinate internally, and no choice was given.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with a very difficult supervisor. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Director General Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

very intense, 45 min prep with questions, 30 mins to respond, no probing or prompting, need to be concise and detailed at the same time. crucial to do the homework, read the rpp and dpr, know everything about priorities mission and mandate and new developments in the department.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

It was a very rigorous process that requires a very good memory of certain previous experiences. They also require that you demonstrate the skills they are looking for in your answers. Bottom line is that you need to be over-prepared to do well in this interview.

Bilingual Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

There is a screening stage when applying for the job, I was then sent an essay style question in which I was to show how I had dealt with a specific type of situation in the past. I was then notified by email of an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Scenario style question - your manager asks you to set up a conference call for people within your home team, and remotely   1 Answer

Communications Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Winnipeg, MB (Canada)) in April 2013.

Interview

Public Service Commission audits have shown that Transport Canada does not meet standards of fairness in their staffing processes. Their interview questions are vague, but if you do not give them the exact answer they are looking for, you are screened out.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were excited about something you were doing.   1 Answer

Senior Real Estate Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Halifax, NS (Canada)).

Interview

The process is extremely fair and open, but candidates really need to know their material with very specific knowledge about the position, policies and business practices. This is not an entry level position. I applied after years of experience in this specific business unit. Lower level positions may be open at some date, where industry experienced people or people with other levels government experience may be screened in for an open job competition.

Interview Questions

• Questions about Treasury Board policy on real property processes.   1 Answer

Trade Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Two employees of the embassy interviewed me. They were looking for specific skills for a specific project so they have asked me a very specific question like where I have proven that I have those skills they are looking for. They also wanted to know whether I have the industry knowledge based on in which industry I will be active the most.

Interview Questions

• What innovative way would you approach top executives from TNC´s? (As email and phone don´t always work that well)   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Gatineau, QC (Canada)) in February 2012.

Interview

You first have to enter your name in to a pool and answer a series of screening questions. Many months later you and the thousands of applicants have to go through a screening process. If you are selected, then you are invited to write screening test. If you pass, your name is selected from the administrative pool to be invited for and interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would process a ministerial docket into the electronic filing system.   1 Answer

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

You need to carefully read the job advertisement and ensure your cover letter includes how you meet all the criteria and then back that up on your cv. If you make the first cut, you will likely write a test where these criteria will be tested via scenarios that you have to describe how you would deal with them (demonstrating that you meet the criteria). Then at least one interview will follow and this is almost always a panel of 3 or more people. Again, you are asked questions that are meant to reveal if you meet the criteria. IT is a box ticking exercise. Sometimes, people get jobs who know how the interview process works and are not as qualified as others who do not get jobs but are not familiar with or good at the GOC interview process.

Interview Questions

• Your director hands you an urgent assignment on a day you had planned to conduct employee reviews and several other tasks of an urgent nature. How do you handle the requests and ensure all the work is done?   Answer Question

Disability Adjudicator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada in December 2012.

Interview

Initial communication via email, inviting for a pre-screening test. Test consisted of two case studies. Next, interview invitation after a 1.5 weeks. Interview panel consisted of the unit and department managers, mostly competency based questions, with some behavioural.

Interview Questions

• How does someone who is using cocaine for 10 years present?   Answer Question