Government of Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 1, 2017

3.1

Senior Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in October 2013.

Interview

Application for hiring pool, tests, interview board, selection into pool.
    After several months, interview for specific position.
    Selected. Description is entirely adequate, but these words are added to meet your survey's 30-word requirement.

Interview Questions

• general relevant experience   1 Answer

FSWEP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2013.

Interview

It was pretty easy. There were two managers and they explained the job description/functions to me and how the agency works. They then asked why I wanted to work for Passport Canada, and proceeded to ask questions about what I know about Passport Canada .

Interview Questions

• How many offices are there in Canada? What is our mandate?   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Two weeks after the written exam I received an e-mail inviting me to an interview. It has been scheduled in about 10 days and the skills the interviewers will assessed were indicated in the invitation. The interview lasted half an hour. The interviewers were professionals. Overall, I had a positive experience even though I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation when you had to manage many priorities at the same time   Answer Question

FSWEP, Client Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied for an FSWEP student position. I was invited for an interview and provided with a list of topics to be discussed. During the interview, I was required to explain the topics emailed to me. It took them about 4-6 weeks to get back to me. Majority of the time was spent waiting for the background/security check.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you demonstrated the ability to excel in a team driven environment.   Answer Question

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Department of Fisheries and Oceans, correspondence unit. Was greeted in lobby by someone on the interview panel. Make small talk while going up and assume your interview starts when you walk in the door. Brought to a small room where I had half an hour to prepare answers to the questions in advance. 5 Questions. Could take notes. In panel interview (3 ppl) only those exact questions can be asked. You must answer all parts of the question and give examples from your past experiences. You will be told in advance very clearly what your interview will be about and it is easy to imagine the type of questions you will get.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you faced a questionable situation involving values and ethics and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Communications Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Winnipeg, MB (Canada)) in April 2013.

Interview

Public Service Commission audits have shown that Transport Canada does not meet standards of fairness in their staffing processes. Their interview questions are vague, but if you do not give them the exact answer they are looking for, you are screened out.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you were excited about something you were doing.   1 Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

Initial interview in the Toronto office, followed by comprehensive technical testing (2hr exam) in Ottawa. Variety of methods used to interview: an initial knowledge test (multiple choice), a panel discussion, the exam, another panel interview. Selected to hire by multiple units within the department - was told I will have a choice of which offer to accept. In the end, they coordinate internally, and no choice was given.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with a very difficult supervisor. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Administrative Support Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

There was a panel of 3 managers who alternated asking approximately 20 questions that were mostly scenario based like, what would we do in particular situations or events. The interview lasted approximately 1.5 hours and all that were participated were really nice. Questions were easy to answer and non were convoluted.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a particular type of telephone inquiry.   1 Answer

Senior Real Estate Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Halifax, NS (Canada)).

Interview

The process is extremely fair and open, but candidates really need to know their material with very specific knowledge about the position, policies and business practices. This is not an entry level position. I applied after years of experience in this specific business unit. Lower level positions may be open at some date, where industry experienced people or people with other levels government experience may be screened in for an open job competition.

Interview Questions

• Questions about Treasury Board policy on real property processes.   1 Answer

Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, lasted under twenty minutes. Corresponded with HR for about two weeks, then with manager for a few weeks to schedule time. Manager actually failed to show up on time for the first scheduled interview, but was very polite about it and quick to reschedule.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the public service, what traits do you bring to the workplace?   Answer Question