Government of Canada Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Government of Canada Interview Questions

Updated May 11, 2017

3.1

Director General Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

very intense, 45 min prep with questions, 30 mins to respond, no probing or prompting, need to be concise and detailed at the same time. crucial to do the homework, read the rpp and dpr, know everything about priorities mission and mandate and new developments in the department.

Industrial Hygiene Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with one interviewer. Many technical questions were asked about my industrial hygiene program and certain aspects of industrial hygiene, which I had no trouble explaining. It is important to know the federal aspects of industrial hygiene compliance and safety compliance. Very few behavioural interview questions were asked, but I added in some behavioural answers. The interview was 30 minutes long. I was informally accepted by email a week later.

Bilingual Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

There is a screening stage when applying for the job, I was then sent an essay style question in which I was to show how I had dealt with a specific type of situation in the past. I was then notified by email of an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Scenario style question - your manager asks you to set up a conference call for people within your home team, and remotely   1 Answer

Programmer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Applied the current job online from public service. Then the public service informed me to have a technical exam. After one week, the public service asked to have a interview with 3 people from public service. After two weeks, I got the offer.

Citizen Services Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (London, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview began with a written test where I was given a document to proofread and followed by a few questions based on the information in the document.

In the actual interview I was interviewed by two individuals who very friendly. The questions corresponded directly to the merit criteria in the application. They scored my answers based directly upon criteria set up by the department.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Questions

• There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Protocol Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada in May 2014.

Interview

Veteran priority hiring streamlined some of the process; within 24 hours of the deadline, I was asked to interview the following week. Due to distance, conducted a video conference interview with very senior department members. This interview was based on a behavioural experience model.

Interview Questions

• The questions were actually given before hand. Still the toughest part is phrasing answers as "I" instead of "we".   Answer Question

Project Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Canada.

Interview

Presentation letter, resume, interview and reference check

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us why the respect of cultural diversity in the workplace is important?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No possible negociation

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.

Informatics Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Saskatoon, SK (Canada)).

Interview

GoC has a site whereby you can see all the current jobs they are hiring. You apply and upload your resume to them. Provided you qualify you will be screened into the process. Then you will write an exam and go through an interview. If successful, you will now be in a pool from which managers can hire you from. Pools can last several years, or be refreshed from time to time.

Interview Questions

• How did you let someone go - how did you do it, how did you minimize the stress on the person and how did you handle it yourself?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Depending on the position and how difficult it is to find candidates you can sometimes start at a higher pay level than the usual initial beginning level. You need to ask about it since it is seldom expressed. Otherwise, the beginning level(s) are firmly set via collective agreements.