Government of Canada Interview Questions in Ottawa, ON | Glassdoor

Updated May 11, 2017

3.2

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

Two weeks after the written exam I received an e-mail inviting me to an interview. It has been scheduled in about 10 days and the skills the interviewers will assessed were indicated in the invitation. The interview lasted half an hour. The interviewers were professionals. Overall, I had a positive experience even though I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation when you had to manage many priorities at the same time   Answer Question

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Department of Fisheries and Oceans, correspondence unit. Was greeted in lobby by someone on the interview panel. Make small talk while going up and assume your interview starts when you walk in the door. Brought to a small room where I had half an hour to prepare answers to the questions in advance. 5 Questions. Could take notes. In panel interview (3 ppl) only those exact questions can be asked. You must answer all parts of the question and give examples from your past experiences. You will be told in advance very clearly what your interview will be about and it is easy to imagine the type of questions you will get.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you faced a questionable situation involving values and ethics and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatineau, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Gatineau, QC (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Asked to attend a group interview with the hiring manager and others from the work group. The external recruiter was also present. I was told about the general plan for the work group and type of relationship I would have with the clients, the project managers, the IT staff and what the overall goal of the larger project was.

I then spoke providing greater detail on the projects I worked on for the last 10 years: what were there goals, how I worked with the team, etc. I then discussed my strengths and weaknesses and gave examples of each.

Interview Questions

• Describe the work you did in various jobs over the last 10 years. Which skills did you use? Give examples of the main skills you used in each project. Specify in detail and talk about how well each of these techniques worked. How did you meet a challenge? What did you do wrong and how did you deal with it? What documents did you create. How did you work with IT? How did you work with the business units?   Answer Question

Awards Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The hiring process is multiple levels; an exam (in this instance, 2 exams), then the interview(s). The process can be daunting - you never know if there will be one exam or more, how long it will be before you get to the next step, how long the process will be overall. They would do well to streamline some of their processes, as they are far more time-consuming than the job itself warrants in some instances. If you are already a government employee, the process is usually easier, but you may deal more with internal politics and unfair hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit for this role?   Answer Question

Remote Sensing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview involved three situational questions, questions given upon arrival and had 10 minutes to look over questions and come up with answers. Interview was short 30min total time spent in interview... about 45min total with interview prep. Panel of three interviewers. Never provided feedback or told me whether I got the job or not which I found very surprising.

Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, lasted under twenty minutes. Corresponded with HR for about two weeks, then with manager for a few weeks to schedule time. Manager actually failed to show up on time for the first scheduled interview, but was very polite about it and quick to reschedule.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the public service, what traits do you bring to the workplace?   Answer Question

Bilingual Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

There is a screening stage when applying for the job, I was then sent an essay style question in which I was to show how I had dealt with a specific type of situation in the past. I was then notified by email of an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Scenario style question - your manager asks you to set up a conference call for people within your home team, and remotely   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I submitted through the government's official website. There was one face to face interview (for which I had to travel from home to Ottawa). I received a positive response quite quickly. However, it took several months before the official job offer came through. This was definitely the most annoying part of the whole process but is standard for all government jobs.

Interview Questions

• There was no particularly difficult question. I think the interviewers had already made up their mind before I arrived there as it was very comradely.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. The government has specific salaries for your level.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was incredibly long and tedious. They were very disorganized and there were many gaps between understanding the next steps in the process. You have to be very patient as it can be a very drawn out process and with people who often do not fully understand the next steps. Get ready for a good deal of frustration.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Government of Canada (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

Initial interview in the Toronto office, followed by comprehensive technical testing (2hr exam) in Ottawa. Variety of methods used to interview: an initial knowledge test (multiple choice), a panel discussion, the exam, another panel interview. Selected to hire by multiple units within the department - was told I will have a choice of which offer to accept. In the end, they coordinate internally, and no choice was given.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to deal with a very difficult supervisor. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?   Answer Question