Government of Ontario Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 5, 2017

3.2

SEO IT Systems Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

There was an online form to submit an application. Process seemed to take very long to hear back for an interview, and there is a possibility that you may not hear back from them. If you are successful in achieving an interview, you will get a call back from the government regardless of whether or not you receive an offer of employment.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Hamilton, ON (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

Overall the interview was smooth. It was suppose to consist of a panel of two/three (interviewers). Mainly behavioural (1 Strengths/. Questions pertaining to resume were few because they call you in having studied your resume.

Interview Questions

• A situation where you had to overcome a difficulty, and how?
      A strength question.
      A weakness question.
      Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2014.

Interview

Normally the interviews involve a 2 stage process: (1) Skills / Aptitude Test, (2) Interview. The skills / aptitude tests are contextual, and will depend on the job that you're applying for (e.g. a job requiring a lot of financial analysis will normally have an Excel skill test).

The interview is conducted by a panel of manager-level individuals (normally 3). One of the individuals will ask a pre-established question, and the candidate will answer. The panel will not make very much eye-contact, as they will be busy making notes. The more notes they take, the better you are doing; everything depends on you getting a high-score, which means hitting the key points. This is the government's attempt at "transparency", to demonstrate that the individual that hit the most points actually received the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were asked to deliver on a project. How did you approach the project? What methodology did you apply?   1 Answer

Senior Analyst Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got a call within 10 days for interview. There was a written test (Technical) followed by an interview with panel of 2 managers and a presentation. Topic of 10 page presentation was mailed to me couple of days before interview. Lots of Behavioral questions and process oriented questions were asked. Some Technical questions were asked mainly from architecture side.

Interview Questions

• Describe abilities to get project back on track.   1 Answer

Junior Business/Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2014.

Interview

2 months after applying, I was chosen from about 500 applications to attend a written skills test for this position. I was not sure if this meant I was ALSO getting an interview or what format the test would take; repeatedly asking the OPS contact person for additional information resulted in radio silence (very unprofessional). I did my best to prepare for a written skills test by studying concepts related to my field which were applicable to the position. The actual written test was quite challenging; similar to a university-level MIS course. Only 1 hour, all essay-style questions related to Biz Analysis, and it was indeed handwritten on paper. However, it was very difficult. 60 minutes was not enough to complete the test. Also, the test was conducted in a group setting with the other people (less than 10) who were also selected for this position. At that time we were also informed that everyone who was selected for a test was ALSO selected for an interview; too bad they were not transparent about this earlier! The interviews would begin in less than 2 days time (!), and would consist of the interview candidate writing an I.T. business case and then presenting it (topic provided) as well as an interview. I did not agree with this highly aggressive timetable (the presentation was challenging enough that it would take me a whole day to complete, leaving me barely any time to prepare for an interview!) so I elected to drop out of the process.

I am not a fan of the lack of transparency in the OPS hiring process; in the private sector I'd get at least 5 days notice for an interview and open lines of communication with the HR staff. If they had told me that the test would be immediately followed by an interview then I could have done my interview preparation beforehand, allowing me to work on the presentation right after the test.

If currently employed, expect to take at least an extra day off from your job in order to work on the presentation (this is in addition to taking time off to write the test as well as attend the interview!).

Interview Questions

• The written test has essay-style/short-answer questions related to standard MIS concepts (i.e. Functional Requirements, Use Cases, etc.)   Answer Question

Senior Strategic Communications Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

Prior to the actual interview, you are asked to prepare an assignment. On the day of the interview you will be asked to present your assignment before a panel of 3 people. Following the presentation, you will be asked a number of questions. Following the Q&A session, you are given one hour to complete another assignment.

Interview Questions

• Q1: Can you outline for us how your skills and experiences match the requirements of the position you're applying for?
      Q2: To be successful in this position, you must be able to manage complex, multi-faceted communications strategies. Please give an example of complex communications strategies you worked on a describe your role in developing and implementing it.
      Q3: To do your job effectively, you will need to build good relationships with all levels of management. Please us how you will go about doing that/
      Q4. In this position, the successful candidate will need to work under tight deadlines to ensure the timely delivery of accurate products and strategic advice to support senior management. What do you anticipate would be the challenges inherent in this role? What strategies would you use to overcome these challenges?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2013.

Interview

Saw the position posted on their website and I applied online by sending in my resume and a typical government cover letter which consisted of you provided concrete examples of how you meet their criteria. I was invited to do a written test, an oral presentation and then an interview with a panel of 3 directors. Several months later, I was offered a position.

Business/Financial Analysis Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

After the written English test, I got an interview for the Business/Financial Analysis Internship. The questions were given beforehand (15min) and you could write down notes for yourself, all questions related to previous experience in Financial Analysis, such as: 1) tell a bit about yourself, 2) what Fin An experience did you have 3) If you had a problem while doing Fin An how did you solve it? 4) When you had differences in co-worker opinions, how did you solve it? 5) How did you get co-workers to work together?

Interview Questions

• All were ordinary behaviour-based interview questions in relation to Fin An work. You can find these basic questions on any interview preparation site.   1 Answer

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

A presentation comprising ten slides on a given topic followed by six questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary rates are dictated by bargaining unit/union negotiations. There is some room if you are coming from outside the government to negotiate.

Summer Experience Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Ontario in May 2013.

Interview

Was given questions 15 minutes beforehand to review. Allowed to take notes.
    Asked 5 questions during the interview by two interviewers. Questions were general (eg. Experience working with computer software, What would you do if you are experiencing conflict with a team member). Interviewers spent most of the time jotting down notes.

Skills test afterwards consisting of a short Excel assignment and a short essay. The Excel assignment was very odd - the skills tested were very simple, but the questions themselves and the content did not make sense.

Approx. 1.5 hours in total.

Interview Questions

• Excel Assignment - the data they gave and what they wanted you to do with it did not make sense. The actual skills tested were very simple, but it seems like the assignment was made by someone who was not very familiar with data. Had another Excel assignment for another interview that was similar, though in this instance, the question seems to be made from someone who did not understand basic statistics.   Answer Question