Government of Ontario Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.2

Junior Business/Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2014.

Interview

2 months after applying, I was chosen from about 500 applications to attend a written skills test for this position. I was not sure if this meant I was ALSO getting an interview or what format the test would take; repeatedly asking the OPS contact person for additional information resulted in radio silence (very unprofessional). I did my best to prepare for a written skills test by studying concepts related to my field which were applicable to the position. The actual written test was quite challenging; similar to a university-level MIS course. Only 1 hour, all essay-style questions related to Biz Analysis, and it was indeed handwritten on paper. However, it was very difficult. 60 minutes was not enough to complete the test. Also, the test was conducted in a group setting with the other people (less than 10) who were also selected for this position. At that time we were also informed that everyone who was selected for a test was ALSO selected for an interview; too bad they were not transparent about this earlier! The interviews would begin in less than 2 days time (!), and would consist of the interview candidate writing an I.T. business case and then presenting it (topic provided) as well as an interview. I did not agree with this highly aggressive timetable (the presentation was challenging enough that it would take me a whole day to complete, leaving me barely any time to prepare for an interview!) so I elected to drop out of the process.

I am not a fan of the lack of transparency in the OPS hiring process; in the private sector I'd get at least 5 days notice for an interview and open lines of communication with the HR staff. If they had told me that the test would be immediately followed by an interview then I could have done my interview preparation beforehand, allowing me to work on the presentation right after the test.

If currently employed, expect to take at least an extra day off from your job in order to work on the presentation (this is in addition to taking time off to write the test as well as attend the interview!).

Interview Questions

• The written test has essay-style/short-answer questions related to standard MIS concepts (i.e. Functional Requirements, Use Cases, etc.)   Answer Question

Senior Strategic Communications Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

Prior to the actual interview, you are asked to prepare an assignment. On the day of the interview you will be asked to present your assignment before a panel of 3 people. Following the presentation, you will be asked a number of questions. Following the Q&A session, you are given one hour to complete another assignment.

Interview Questions

• Q1: Can you outline for us how your skills and experiences match the requirements of the position you're applying for?
      Q2: To be successful in this position, you must be able to manage complex, multi-faceted communications strategies. Please give an example of complex communications strategies you worked on a describe your role in developing and implementing it.
      Q3: To do your job effectively, you will need to build good relationships with all levels of management. Please us how you will go about doing that/
      Q4. In this position, the successful candidate will need to work under tight deadlines to ensure the timely delivery of accurate products and strategic advice to support senior management. What do you anticipate would be the challenges inherent in this role? What strategies would you use to overcome these challenges?
      Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2013.

Interview

Saw the position posted on their website and I applied online by sending in my resume and a typical government cover letter which consisted of you provided concrete examples of how you meet their criteria. I was invited to do a written test, an oral presentation and then an interview with a panel of 3 directors. Several months later, I was offered a position.

Business/Financial Analysis Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

After the written English test, I got an interview for the Business/Financial Analysis Internship. The questions were given beforehand (15min) and you could write down notes for yourself, all questions related to previous experience in Financial Analysis, such as: 1) tell a bit about yourself, 2) what Fin An experience did you have 3) If you had a problem while doing Fin An how did you solve it? 4) When you had differences in co-worker opinions, how did you solve it? 5) How did you get co-workers to work together?

Interview Questions

• All were ordinary behaviour-based interview questions in relation to Fin An work. You can find these basic questions on any interview preparation site.   1 Answer

Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

A presentation comprising ten slides on a given topic followed by six questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary rates are dictated by bargaining unit/union negotiations. There is some room if you are coming from outside the government to negotiate.

Summer Experience Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Government of Ontario in May 2013.

Interview

Was given questions 15 minutes beforehand to review. Allowed to take notes.
    Asked 5 questions during the interview by two interviewers. Questions were general (eg. Experience working with computer software, What would you do if you are experiencing conflict with a team member). Interviewers spent most of the time jotting down notes.

Skills test afterwards consisting of a short Excel assignment and a short essay. The Excel assignment was very odd - the skills tested were very simple, but the questions themselves and the content did not make sense.

Approx. 1.5 hours in total.

Interview Questions

• Excel Assignment - the data they gave and what they wanted you to do with it did not make sense. The actual skills tested were very simple, but it seems like the assignment was made by someone who was not very familiar with data. Had another Excel assignment for another interview that was similar, though in this instance, the question seems to be made from someone who did not understand basic statistics.   Answer Question

Systems Analyst - CO OP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2011.

Interview

Got an interview call by applying to a position posted on CO-OP Job Board of my college.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral interview questions. They check if you can fit in their work environment or not. An interview was followed up by a written technical test.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Interviewer asked questions about past work experience and assigned a skills test. Test consisted of reviewing an old document and recreating it. The questions were simple, but the assignment was difficult.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions were asked. Interview was not very formal so they mostly focused on past experience. For example, what did you door there? How did that experience prepare you for this role? etc.   Answer Question

short contract.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Government of Ontario in January 2011.

Interview

Interesting.

Interview Questions

• What was your experience in MS Exchange Implementation? We need someone who has worked mostly on MS Exchange implementations.   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Government of Ontario (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2011.

Interview

The interview involved two regional managers who knew the administrative functions of their area but seemed less aware of the Methodology behind the policy and technical details of what they said they want as performance indicators and why the ministry chose those particular ways. The interview consisted of questions about my Ontario EMS system knowledge and the analysts basic job. They also gave me additional information about how the competition for permanent employment could occur.

Interview Questions

• Tell us your understanding of the privacy legislation.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about some of your work about accessing administrative data and how you would use the Microsoft products to produce reports for the region and for the providers.   1 Answer