Grammarly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process with Grammarly is definitely one of the best interview experiences I have ever had. I got the letter about their position from my advisor and the jobs they are doing look really attractive to me. I was asked to do a coding task for a practical NLP problem, after passing the task I had a video interview with the CEO directly. The CEO is very open-minded and the questions asked were basically behavior questions. After the interview, we decided that we had a good match in values and I was invited to visit their office in SF. In their SF office I met their VPs and gave a talk about my thesis. I also had a round of technical interview with one of their engineers. All the people I met were sharp and super helpful. The CEO is a very determined person and we talked a lot about the plans of the company, all the experiences I have shows that the company has a great team atmosphere and has plenty of talented people.

They offered me a premium version of their product to help me understand their product. They even offered me a free trip to New York to help me make my decisions after the interview. Through the New York trip, the head of the research lab (he is an excellent researcher in our field) scheduled everything for me.

To sum up, this is definitely one of the best companies I have ever met in my interviews. The company shows great respect for its interviewees, the CEO is a very determined person who clearly know what he is doing and what he is planning to do. All the people in the company are hard-working, talented and helpful. I can see great potential in the company and I strongly believe in the future of the company. While I decided to take another offer due to my current status, I am still looking forward to working with them some day in the future.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked in the technical round: word break, n-gram and its smoothing techniques, cross-validation. All are practical questions for NLP tasks.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

A data challenge/exercise homework was given. I promised to return it a week later. I spent about 15 hours answering the questions and writing a a thorough report. About one week after submission I received a rejection email without any feedback. As is customary I replied to ask for feedback on the assignment, which is when I realized, quite egregiously that the rejection email was sent from a do-not-reply email address. I contacted the reviewer to ask for feedback, and never heard a response.

Interview Questions

• From a list of user "ping" data, compute some descirpitives, and user retention curves. Finally determine which referral sources made the most successful users.   1 Answer

Web UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grammarly (Walnut Creek, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Initial phone screening interview with recruiter followed by interview with 2 frontend engineers. The second interview covered experience and gauged if you were familiar with their existing dev environment. You can land on either two teams: the marketing side and the actual product. I was then sent a very Math-focused hackerrank which I did not do well in.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview process was quick. Spoke to the recruiter, and decided to move ahead in the process. Then had a video call with one of the engineers on the team. He asked about prior work experience, tools used, working methodology etc. followed by a coding question on graphs.
    Was invited onsite after the phone screen. Onsite comprised of 4 rounds - 3 involved coding and designing questions. Last round was with the VP of engineering, he asked questions about past projects, past employers etc. - no technical question in this round.

Content Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The entire interview process at Grammarly is very well-designed and well-implemented. I worked with Valerie, the head of recruiting and she made this process much easier. The interviews were well-organized, everyone calls you on time and shows up to meetings prepared. People are very friendly and knowledgeable about their work. Everyone seems passionate about the product they have built and the future of the company, which seems like a great environment. I met with several people I would potentially work with, and all the interviews were more behavioral in nature. They really try to get to know you well; a good cultural fit is crucial to them. I appreciate the time they take to ask you very thoughtful questions!

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my entire history starting from the time I went to college, and why I made the decisions I did.   1 Answer

Computational Linguist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly in March 2017.

Interview

It was a multiple-interview process and they were very responsive -- I had the first interview on a Friday with a recruiter, and the second interview the next Friday with the hiring manager, and they were kind enough to let me know as soon as the following Monday that they had chosen not to continue with the interview process and taken me out of the running.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would go about programming a palindrome detector.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I was given a take-home coding task which was definitely not a typical interview task, but rather a real work project. Producing the simplest solution took me 8 hours, I didn't mind doing it just out of curiosity. After I submitted my solution, I got no feedback, just an automatic response that I don't fit.

Grammarly Response

Mar 29, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback about your experience with Grammarly. I wish it were more positive for you. I have shared your comments with the hiring team, and we are exploring how we can be better here... More

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

After talking with the company recruiter who was very friendly, they scheduled a technical skype interview relatively quick. They let me know what could be asked about during the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to build a simple react component that displayed a list of items and gave you options to delete or add lists.   Answer Question
    • Write myBind in javascript   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted after I had applied online for a phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter was very fast and responsive. I moved on to a second phone interview which I thought was going well until they asked about my education history and college GPA. I've been out of school and a working professional for several years now, so this threw me off a bit and did not sit well. They did not move forward with me after the call.

Interview Questions

Grammarly Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for this feedback on your experience interviewing with Grammarly. I'm sorry it wasn't a positive outcome for you. We consider a variety of things when evaluating candidates to determine the... More

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was super quick and transparent. I had a 30 minute phone call with HR, and then I had a 45 minute phone call with the head of paid advertising. Everyone I interacted with was super friendly and transparent about the interview process (2 phone interviews, onsite interview, technical coding assignment), which was awesome.

The people I interacted with were very friendly and passionate about the company. In general, the vibes/morale seem pretty good at Grammarly, so they seem to put alot of emphasis on picking the people who can fit their positive culture.