Grammarly Interview Questions

Updated Apr 29, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 118 of over 118 interviews

Employee Referral6%
2.9
HardAverageEasy

Grammarly

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly

Interview

The interviews were thoughtful, efficient, and pleasant. I had a wonderful experience and everyone I met was kind, considerate, and genuinely cared about me as a person and my fit within the Company.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were geared towards getting to know me as a person in addition to my professional experience and understanding my strength and weaknesses not only as a potential employee but as an individual.
    Answer Question

Grammarly

Application

I interviewed at Grammarly

Interview

The interview started with two separate 30-minute screens with the recruiter and the hiring manager. After that, we scheduled an hour-long deep dive with the hiring manager regarding my previous work experiences. And finally, it ended with a dual, presentation+interview, final step. I presented a GTM plan for the Enterprise Sales function and then interviewed with the head of engineering for one hour.

Interview Questions
  • Grammarly adheres to the topgrading methodology for interview questions. The process is to ask the same 4-5 questions for each of your previous work experiences, starting from the very beginning.

The latest conversations about Tech

57 Comments

Tech

205.7K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Grammarly~636873
Join the conversation on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

The internal recruiter did a great job communicating next steps throughout the whole process. Everyone was very professional and asked thoughtful questions. I felt like I knew what to expect every step of the way.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (New York, NY) in Mar 2022

Interview

I submitted a 1-page resume and cover letter and was invited to a 30 minute screening call. After that I had a 45-min call with the hiring manager, completed a take-home test, and then 6 additional zoom calls, two of which involved "technical" tasks (one whiteboard-style programming activity and one activity focused on linguistic knowledge). There was also a "coffee chat", which was a chance for me to ask two ALs anything I wanted to ask.

Interview Questions
  • The non-technical interviews involved asking me about all my past jobs, including best and worst experiences and strengths and weaknesses of my previous managers. I think the main focus was on eliciting the degree to which I evidence Grammarly's EAGER values. The company puts a high value on hiring people who share their values and will be a good fit for the culture. The technical interviews focused on general programming ability, logic, and linguistics knowledge relevant to the position. I was also asked some standard questions, e.g., why do you want this job? what would you bring to the team? etc.
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in Mar 2022

Interview

I recently had an interview with Grammarly and I had a great experience with the whole interview process. I was first contacted by the hiring engineering manager directly via Linkedin and it turned out to be an effective way to quickly have better insight into the specific job roles and opportunities. Throughout the interview people, I've spoken with people from different functions, levels, and roles. I felt that many of them are genuinely welcoming and authentic, and they share the vibe and the excitement that they have among Grammarly employees. Those who conducted my interviews mostly asked practical questions, not the type of leet-code questions or typical questions that you could find from the internet. My recommendation for preparing their interviews is to reflect and understand your past work projects and experiences and demonstrate your ability to apply your expertise for your future works. One thing to note is that you should try to stay as authentic as possible, and provide three people that you had worked for reference checks (in case you got the offer). Lastly, I've passed the interview and received the job offer. I'd say the compensation is fair and competitive. You might be able to negotiate a better offer if you ask just the recruiter who has been very responsive, helpful throughout the whole hiring process. At first, I did not have a good understanding of many things about the company but once I've passed interviews, Grammarly showed me the presentation slides that showed the good trajectory that the company is aiming for, and I think that's one of the benefits of going through the whole interview process to ensure that both your and the company know each other better to make a good fit. If you're looking for a medium-sized company that has great culture and growth potential, I'd recommend starting with interviewing with Grammarly.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (Seattle, WA) in Mar 2022

Interview

The interview process first involved a one-hour discussion to determine suitability for the role. Then, there was a take-home assignment that took approximately 4 hours to complete (though they generously provided over a week to complete it). After passing this stage, there were five one-hour interviews, each evaluating a different aspect of the role. These aspects included NLP model evaluation, scripting, experimental design/statistics, and experiences with previous roles/managers. All interviews were conducted by people directly connected to the role (or closely related to it), and I found this to be refreshing compared to previous interview experiences. There was also a 30-minute coffee chat with two team members to discuss company culture. All interviews were conducted over zoom. My interview schedule was clear and easy to follow, and they accommodated my schedule without problem.

Interview Questions
  • Re: Experimental design/statistics: Design an experiment that compares the output of two different NLP models. How would you go about doing this? What variables would be involved? What would the final analysis look like? Re: previous manager(s): What was something they did particularly well? What was something they could have improved? What would they say you did well? What would they say you could improve?

Grammarly

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Grammarly in Mar 2022

Interview

Grammarly's interview process is seriously impressive. They use some interesting methods to dig a lot deeper than other companies. As a result, I think they form a complete and accurate picture of the candidate. It speaks to the quality of the company as a whole. On top of all that, the recruiting team was fast, professional, and friendly. I learned a lot about how to run a top notch interview process just by going through it.

Interview Questions
  • - Detailed review of all past manager relationships - Detailed review of all past jobs - Standard behavioral and role-related questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Grammarly (New York, NY)

Interview

The AL interview process is very thorough, but manageable and respectful of your time. Everyone I spoke with during the interview process was outstanding - brilliant, reflective, and kind. The process is thorough but they structure the interviews in a very unique way. Some questions are more technical or refer to your expertise and experience, but many asked you to reflect on your experience, growth, challenges, and what you've learned. The interview process gave great insight into the thoughtful and intentional culture at Grammarly. The take home assessment was of very reasonable length and gave a helpful picture of what some of the day-to-day work an AL does at Grammarly.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Grammarly

Application

I interviewed at Grammarly

Interview

Had a phone screen followed by three back to back virtual meetings. Everyone was professional and friendly. Ultimately I wasn't the right match for this particular role, though it's a great company and I'd welcome the opportunity to interview for a different position.

Interview Questions
  • What's your process in building out hiring strategies and pipelines
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Grammarly (South San Francisco, CA) in Feb 2022

Interview

I only met with a Grammarly recruiter one time on a phone call. I think I left a bad first impression since I didn't prep my answers well enough to sell myself and I didn't receive any feedback. I received a rejection email. The communication is fast though, and I was happy to hear back from a posting I applied to.

Interview Questions
  • 1. Tell me your experience in Customer Success? 2. Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how did you correct it? 3. What's your experience with Implementation and Retention?
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 118 Interviews

Grammarly Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Grammarly as 46.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.98 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Software Engineer and Analytical Linguist rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Marketing Manager and Data Scientist roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Grammarly takes an average of 26 days when considering 130 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Marketing Manager had the quickest hiring process (on average 17 days), whereas Analytical Linguist roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 102 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Grammarly according to 130 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 31.06%