Grammarly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Grammarly

1. Featured Interview

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process with Grammarly is definitely one of the best interview experiences I have ever had. I got the letter about their position from my advisor and the jobs they are doing look really attractive to me. I was asked to do a coding task for a practical NLP problem, after passing the task I had a video interview with the CEO directly. The CEO is very open-minded and the questions asked were basically behavior questions. After the interview, we decided that we had a good match in values and I was invited to visit their office in SF. In their SF office I met their VPs and gave a talk about my thesis. I also had a round of technical interview with one of their engineers. All the people I met were sharp and super helpful. The CEO is a very determined person and we talked a lot about the plans of the company, all the experiences I have shows that the company has a great team atmosphere and has plenty of talented people.

They offered me a premium version of their product to help me understand their product. They even offered me a free trip to New York to help me make my decisions after the interview. Through the New York trip, the head of the research lab (he is an excellent researcher in our field) scheduled everything for me.

To sum up, this is definitely one of the best companies I have ever met in my interviews. The company shows great respect for its interviewees, the CEO is a very determined person who clearly know what he is doing and what he is planning to do. All the people in the company are hard-working, talented and helpful. I can see great potential in the company and I strongly believe in the future of the company. While I decided to take another offer due to my current status, I am still looking forward to working with them some day in the future.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked in the technical round: word break, n-gram and its smoothing techniques, cross-validation. All are practical questions for NLP tasks.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted after I had applied online for a phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter was very fast and responsive. I moved on to a second phone interview which I thought was going well until they asked about my education history and college GPA. I've been out of school and a working professional for several years now, so this threw me off a bit and did not sit well. They did not move forward with me after the call.

Interview Questions

Grammarly Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for this feedback on your experience interviewing with Grammarly. I'm sorry it wasn't a positive outcome for you. We consider a variety of things when evaluating candidates to determine the... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview process was quick. Spoke to the recruiter, and decided to move ahead in the process. Then had a video call with one of the engineers on the team. He asked about prior work experience, tools used, working methodology etc. followed by a coding question on graphs.
    Was invited onsite after the phone screen. Onsite comprised of 4 rounds - 3 involved coding and designing questions. Last round was with the VP of engineering, he asked questions about past projects, past employers etc. - no technical question in this round.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter kept asking me if I am interested in the position on Linkedin and even called me a few times. I looked at the company and finally decided to go for it. The conversation went well and they said that they would move fast and give me an interview. Next day I get an email saying I'm not senior enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

applied online
    received a response a month later for a preliminary phone screen
    post phone screen received a coding challenge

This might just be me but i find technical recruiter's, in general, questions about node strange. Recruiters, if you're reading this: asking for an opinion on node is like a cars salesperson asking for thoughts on combustion engines. Though it's a part of the domain, it's just weird.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Pretty dismal process. The recruiter referred to me as "the Android guy" - shows you how devs must be treated - cannon fodder. Same old stupid CS questions to satisfy the ego of some dev who cant write good code himself. Fix your process because your product is nice.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial email exchange with recruiter, phone interview scheduled. Phone interviewer did not show up, pinged recruiters multiple times on the day and following days and never heard back. This may be related to a problem in hiring 3rd party recruiters, gave up on interviewing with them.

Grammarly Response

Nov 7, 2018 – VP of Engineering

I'm sorry this happened, and it's not representative of the candidate experience we're striving for. Please reach out to me directly (joe.xavier @ grammarly.com), and I'll work with you to determine... More

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone interview and onsite. Weird manager who was selling me too hard on their team. Their goal is to run an eastern european sweatshop but in the US. Everyone works long hours, is expected and is eastern european.

Interview Questions

• Design some concurrent system, an architecture question that the interviewer couldn't articulate for 45 min   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly in September 2018.

Interview

Reached out to the CEO, who then reached out to the VP of Engineering who then set up a code-pair video interview with one of the employees.

Question was interesting - initially went off in a wrong direction, but managed to solve it finally. The interviewer didn't seem very impressed. Didn't make it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Given a long string and a dictionary of accepted words, find if the string can be broken completely into a set of words given in the dictionary (this set should also be minimum, if multiple such sets exist).   1 Answer

Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me for a different role, but after discussing my experience they recommended I look into another role that hadn't been published yet that fit me better. Afterward, I had a quick phone screen with the hiring manager for that role and was brought onsite for a marathon session with several team members across the business. Everyone was friendly and they'd even scheduled in a coffee break since I was there for nearly five hours. Part of that was due to their required interview process with the hiring manager: I had to very explicitly explain each of my roles all the way back to my first job, as well as my professional relationships with each of my bosses, and what positive and negative things I thought each would say. Even so, I left feeling glad for the experience. Unfortunately after a week or so, their recruiter called to let me know they were moving on with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• For each role on my resume, I had to recount my role and responsibilities, my boss's working style, how I felt about it, what positive/negative things my boss would say about me, and why I left.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

They reached out via a phone interview. Initial recruiter was very nice and helpful. Pretty Standard.

2nd stage: Call with Marketing Manager. This again was pretty standard, just telling you more about the role so you know what you are applying for.

3rd stage: On-site. This was interesting. Mix of marketing type of questions and basic background. They did take a long time to interview--1 hour each for 3 people. I spent three hours there.

4th stage: They said they liked me after the on-site, then gave me an assignment. I completed the assignment, which did take at least a couple hours. They told me there would be a 5th stage, yes ANOTHER stage where I go back on-site for another interview.

Took a week before I heard that they wanted someone with more experience. I get that, but the thing I thought was annoying was that I stated very clear through my phone calls and on-site that I am a entry-level candidate with some light experience, hoping to grow into a larger role. I actually completed the assignment pretty well, and I don't have to be an experienced marketer to say that. Looking at the other reviews on this site, it looks like they never really give anyone an offer. This makes me thing the "reason" the manager emailed me is slightly BS.

These guys are very thorough. The bad thing is, they never seem to hire? If they are going to do 3-hour on-site interviews, plus an assignment, plus another 3-hour on-site, it should be worth your while. But I get the feeling that they are interviewing with little intention to hire (unless they get a rockstar candidate who probably could go to a better company). They openly call themselves a bootstrapped startup after all, which means they have less funding then they would like (hence, hiring must be tough for them).

Give this company a shot, just be aware that they will take up a ton of your time, and you are very likely not to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenging situation you have been in?
      How do you feel about working at a startup?   Answer Question