Grammarly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 19, 2017

2.7

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted after I had applied online for a phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter was very fast and responsive. I moved on to a second phone interview which I thought was going well until they asked about my education history and college GPA. I've been out of school and a working professional for several years now, so this threw me off a bit and did not sit well. They did not move forward with me after the call.

Interview Questions

Grammarly Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for this feedback on your experience interviewing with Grammarly. I'm sorry it wasn't a positive outcome for you. We consider a variety of things when evaluating candidates to determine the ... More

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was super quick and transparent. I had a 30 minute phone call with HR, and then I had a 45 minute phone call with the head of paid advertising. Everyone I interacted with was super friendly and transparent about the interview process (2 phone interviews, onsite interview, technical coding assignment), which was awesome.

The people I interacted with were very friendly and passionate about the company. In general, the vibes/morale seem pretty good at Grammarly, so they seem to put alot of emphasis on picking the people who can fit their positive culture.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

They reached out via a phone interview. Initial recruiter was very nice and helpful. Pretty Standard.

2nd stage: Call with Marketing Manager. This again was pretty standard, just telling you more about the role so you know what you are applying for.

3rd stage: On-site. This was interesting. Mix of marketing type of questions and basic background. They did take a long time to interview--1 hour each for 3 people. I spent three hours there.

4th stage: They said they liked me after the on-site, then gave me an assignment. I completed the assignment, which did take at least a couple hours. They told me there would be a 5th stage, yes ANOTHER stage where I go back on-site for another interview.

Took a week before I heard that they wanted someone with more experience. I get that, but the thing I thought was annoying was that I stated very clear through my phone calls and on-site that I am a entry-level candidate with some light experience, hoping to grow into a larger role. I actually completed the assignment pretty well, and I don't have to be an experienced marketer to say that. Looking at the other reviews on this site, it looks like they never really give anyone an offer. This makes me thing the "reason" the manager emailed me is slightly BS.

These guys are very thorough. The bad thing is, they never seem to hire? If they are going to do 3-hour on-site interviews, plus an assignment, plus another 3-hour on-site, it should be worth your while. But I get the feeling that they are interviewing with little intention to hire (unless they get a rockstar candidate who probably could go to a better company). They openly call themselves a bootstrapped startup after all, which means they have less funding then they would like (hence, hiring must be tough for them).

Give this company a shot, just be aware that they will take up a ton of your time, and you are very likely not to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenging situation you have been in?
      How do you feel about working at a startup?
      Answer Question

Digital Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I got a phone interview with Grammarly as the first round of interview process. The recruiter who called me was very nice and professional. They were very efficient at scheduling phone call. The interview was about asking me what type of positions I am looking for and what type of skills they are looking for, and get to know me a little bit. Even though we didn't move on because of sponsorship issue, it was a good experience with Grammarly overall.

Interview Questions

• What type of roles do you see yourself more interested in?   Answer Question

Social Media Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The process was quick. Initial reach out on LinkedIn, phone call, assignment and in-person interview within a month.

Was very excited about the company pre the in person interview. Yet, during the interview the interviewers seems rushed and cut me off several times. Hard to connect with on a personal level, and they didn't seem to be making an effort. (Not the case for all the interviewers! But they were overshadowed.)

Interview Questions

• What are your failures? (Be prepared to discuss each element of your schooling/professional career.)   Answer Question
    • What do you not like about your current position/place of work?   Answer Question
    • What should your manager be doing to make your place of work better?   Answer Question
    • Something like, what skills do you have? And what are you inherently good at?   Answer Question

Affiliate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The Head of Marketing reached out to me via LinkedIn. After a phone screen with the hiring manager, they invited me into the office. Though I didn't know excessive amounts about the role, I felt extremely uncomfortable the second I walked into the office. They re-shuffled my interview as I learned due to a last minute email. I was supposed to interview with three people. The hiring manager and Head of Marketing both seems unenthused and uninterested in what I had to say. Then they dismissed me after the second interview, mentioning that my background didn't fit what they had to offer and they didn't want to waste my time. It was extremely uncomfortable and unprofessional. If they had conducted themselves in a respectable way, they would have concluded the interviews and let me know that it didn't work out. Glad I didn't have the chance to decline an offer.

Digital Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The manager said he would let me know about next steps after the phone interview. I never got a yes or no answer. Absolutely a big lie from the manager.

Email Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

First step - phone screen with recruiter
    Second step - phone screen with hiring manager
    Third step - 1:1 with hiring manager and sharing a project plan on what I would do next in this role
    Fourth step - Skype call with one of the 3 co-founders
    Fifth step - 1:1 with CEO and hiring manager
    Sixth step - Consecutive 1:1 with CEO, hiring manager, 2 other co-founders
    Seventh step - Reference checks (They do backdoor reference checks i.e. speaking to those who have not been authorized by the candidate)
    I had shared with them that in order to work, I would be requiring a visa transfer, which from Day 1 they had agreed to do so. However, after 6 rounds of interview and numerous calls, the decision to not hire was taken solely because they were not ready for visa transfer. While I understand that it is difficult for startups to afford visas, what was surprising was the lack of honesty from step 1.
    Secondly the whole reference check episode stretched longer than expected. With every reference that they reached out, I would get a follow-up call about how they were impolite in those reference calls. Please be careful when you are sharing your list of references with them as it is important to maintain good relations with your current network than lose them for a future career prospect that may or may not work out

Interview Questions

• What was the exact date you left your previous company? (While there were no difficult questions as such, this one was certainly the most unexpected one; with special emphasis on the word "exact")   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grammarly in December 2014.

Interview

One of my friend is working in Grammarly and referred me so I have short process. I was asked about my previous experience in Java, Server side with high loads.

Interview Questions

• How you would profile Java Server side code and troubleshoot it on high loaded system?
      Please describe deployment process on Amazon Cloud.
      Answer Question