Grammarly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

1. Featured Interview

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

The interview process with Grammarly is definitely one of the best interview experiences I have ever had. I got the letter about their position from my advisor and the jobs they are doing look really attractive to me. I was asked to do a coding task for a practical NLP problem, after passing the task I had a video interview with the CEO directly. The CEO is very open-minded and the questions asked were basically behavior questions. After the interview, we decided that we had a good match in values and I was invited to visit their office in SF. In their SF office I met their VPs and gave a talk about my thesis. I also had a round of technical interview with one of their engineers. All the people I met were sharp and super helpful. The CEO is a very determined person and we talked a lot about the plans of the company, all the experiences I have shows that the company has a great team atmosphere and has plenty of talented people.

They offered me a premium version of their product to help me understand their product. They even offered me a free trip to New York to help me make my decisions after the interview. Through the New York trip, the head of the research lab (he is an excellent researcher in our field) scheduled everything for me.

To sum up, this is definitely one of the best companies I have ever met in my interviews. The company shows great respect for its interviewees, the CEO is a very determined person who clearly know what he is doing and what he is planning to do. All the people in the company are hard-working, talented and helpful. I can see great potential in the company and I strongly believe in the future of the company. While I decided to take another offer due to my current status, I am still looking forward to working with them some day in the future.

Interview Questions

• Questions asked in the technical round: word break, n-gram and its smoothing techniques, cross-validation. All are practical questions for NLP tasks.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Interview process was quick. Spoke to the recruiter, and decided to move ahead in the process. Then had a video call with one of the engineers on the team. He asked about prior work experience, tools used, working methodology etc. followed by a coding question on graphs.
    Was invited onsite after the phone screen. Onsite comprised of 4 rounds - 3 involved coding and designing questions. Last round was with the VP of engineering, he asked questions about past projects, past employers etc. - no technical question in this round.

Content Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

The entire interview process at Grammarly is very well-designed and well-implemented. I worked with Valerie, the head of recruiting and she made this process much easier. The interviews were well-organized, everyone calls you on time and shows up to meetings prepared. People are very friendly and knowledgeable about their work. Everyone seems passionate about the product they have built and the future of the company, which seems like a great environment. I met with several people I would potentially work with, and all the interviews were more behavioral in nature. They really try to get to know you well; a good cultural fit is crucial to them. I appreciate the time they take to ask you very thoughtful questions!

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my entire history starting from the time I went to college, and why I made the decisions I did.   1 Answer

Computational Linguist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly in March 2017.

Interview

It was a multiple-interview process and they were very responsive -- I had the first interview on a Friday with a recruiter, and the second interview the next Friday with the hiring manager, and they were kind enough to let me know as soon as the following Monday that they had chosen not to continue with the interview process and taken me out of the running.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would go about programming a palindrome detector.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I was given a take-home coding task which was definitely not a typical interview task, but rather a real work project. Producing the simplest solution took me 8 hours, I didn't mind doing it just out of curiosity. After I submitted my solution, I got no feedback, just an automatic response that I don't fit.

Grammarly Response

Mar 29, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback about your experience with Grammarly. I wish it were more positive for you. I have shared your comments with the hiring team, and we are exploring how we can be better here... More

UI Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

After talking with the company recruiter who was very friendly, they scheduled a technical skype interview relatively quick. They let me know what could be asked about during the interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to build a simple react component that displayed a list of items and gave you options to delete or add lists.   Answer Question
    • Write myBind in javascript   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I was contacted after I had applied online for a phone interview with a recruiter. The recruiter was very fast and responsive. I moved on to a second phone interview which I thought was going well until they asked about my education history and college GPA. I've been out of school and a working professional for several years now, so this threw me off a bit and did not sit well. They did not move forward with me after the call.

Interview Questions

Grammarly Response

Jan 30, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for this feedback on your experience interviewing with Grammarly. I'm sorry it wasn't a positive outcome for you. We consider a variety of things when evaluating candidates to determine the... More

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grammarly in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was super quick and transparent. I had a 30 minute phone call with HR, and then I had a 45 minute phone call with the head of paid advertising. Everyone I interacted with was super friendly and transparent about the interview process (2 phone interviews, onsite interview, technical coding assignment), which was awesome.

The people I interacted with were very friendly and passionate about the company. In general, the vibes/morale seem pretty good at Grammarly, so they seem to put alot of emphasis on picking the people who can fit their positive culture.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

They reached out via a phone interview. Initial recruiter was very nice and helpful. Pretty Standard.

2nd stage: Call with Marketing Manager. This again was pretty standard, just telling you more about the role so you know what you are applying for.

3rd stage: On-site. This was interesting. Mix of marketing type of questions and basic background. They did take a long time to interview--1 hour each for 3 people. I spent three hours there.

4th stage: They said they liked me after the on-site, then gave me an assignment. I completed the assignment, which did take at least a couple hours. They told me there would be a 5th stage, yes ANOTHER stage where I go back on-site for another interview.

Took a week before I heard that they wanted someone with more experience. I get that, but the thing I thought was annoying was that I stated very clear through my phone calls and on-site that I am a entry-level candidate with some light experience, hoping to grow into a larger role. I actually completed the assignment pretty well, and I don't have to be an experienced marketer to say that. Looking at the other reviews on this site, it looks like they never really give anyone an offer. This makes me thing the "reason" the manager emailed me is slightly BS.

These guys are very thorough. The bad thing is, they never seem to hire? If they are going to do 3-hour on-site interviews, plus an assignment, plus another 3-hour on-site, it should be worth your while. But I get the feeling that they are interviewing with little intention to hire (unless they get a rockstar candidate who probably could go to a better company). They openly call themselves a bootstrapped startup after all, which means they have less funding then they would like (hence, hiring must be tough for them).

Give this company a shot, just be aware that they will take up a ton of your time, and you are very likely not to get an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenging situation you have been in?
      How do you feel about working at a startup?   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Grammarly (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I got a phone interview with Grammarly as the first round of interview process. The recruiter who called me was very nice and professional. They were very efficient at scheduling phone call. The interview was about asking me what type of positions I am looking for and what type of skills they are looking for, and get to know me a little bit. Even though we didn't move on because of sponsorship issue, it was a good experience with Grammarly overall.

Interview Questions

• What type of roles do you see yourself more interested in?   Answer Question