Grand Canyon University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2017

2.7

136 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Dissertation Chair Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

A lot of questions about Christian values, very little. They are in dire need of PhD adjuncts, as turnover rate is very high; most quit very quickly. Hiring process is a joke. You have 3 weeks of unpaid online training, that is more about GCU covering their assets, than really training new hires. Horrible experience from beginning to end.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. They really need bodies to fill open courses.   Answer Question

Professor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

The position posted was labeled as a professor "online," so I assumed, like most positions this was a remote application. Within the day I applied, I received an email requesting times for an initial phone screening. The individual called me the next day and went over basic interview questions, like "when are you available to start' and "explain a time you had to work with a student during a personal issue." In addition, I was told the salary starts at 50-55 a year, which is rather low for a position requiring a PhD or EdD, and the position is in a cubicle setting in the administration office of GCU. The position has specific hours you need to work, such as 11-7 or 12-8pm, and on Fridays it is 8-5pm. There is no flexibility in the schedule, and the position may allow for one day of working remote after a year. The interview led to follow up requests from faculty and department chairs requiring transcripts

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to show excellent customer service.   1 Answer

Instructional Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

The recruiter just described what the job position was all about and told me that she would get back to me with the further interview process. The recruiter also explained the university dress code and what was expected of me in this position.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University in August 2017.

Interview

Filled out an online application for the position within a week I received an email requesting a phone interview to be scheduled for the next day. The interview was easy with most of the questions asking you to describe your positions listed on the resume. The recruiter also asked what was the pay for each position. In the end, I didn't move on to the next stage of the interview process, which was weird because I do the exact same thing at my current job. The school would have been new to the area and it would have made sense for them to move forward with the person from the major competitor in the area who did the duties they were asking for. I received a standard rejection letter with no explanation.

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Sacramento, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was originally referred by the position by a GCU employee. HR Talent Acquisition reached out within a week asking to set up a phone interview. The interview was pretty basic - see questions below - then she asked me to fill out a writing sample. This consisted of three scenario based prompts you might encounter as a counselor. Once I sent that back a secondary interview was set up with the regional manager.

Interview Questions

• How does your previous experience connect to this position?   Answer Question
    • What do you look for in your next employer?   Answer Question
    • Why are you interested in leaving your current position?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What functions can you use in Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook?   Answer Question
    • On a scale of 1 - 10 how proficient are you with computers?   Answer Question
    • Would you be willing to work evenings and weekends? Are you ok with the 60 hour work week?   Answer Question

Account Executive-Online Division Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Albany, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Indeed Job link, heard back via email within a few days requesting a time for a phone screening. Interview was 30 min long with an HR person. VERY basic interview with questioning focused on my resume, pay with corresponding companies and highlights of my sales accomplishments. Nothing creative with the questions here. HR person spent a significant amount of time explaining that training would be in AZ starting on 9-5-17 and continuing for 2 weeks. Then back to AZ for 4 days in mid-October. Asked if I had any conflicts with these dates or the travel. HR explained pay structure which is NOT negotiable. Interesting, I've never had the experience in an interview where they tell you the pay and to pretty much take it or leave it. The position was advertised at $65k and that was the "Level 1" pay. Quota metrics were based on how many new students you get to enroll with the online program, 28 for Level 1. In a year you are eligible for level 2, 40 students @$70k, year 2 Level 3, 50 students @ $75k. In the subsequent year you have the option of going to level 4, 60 students @$90k.
    Also discussed was free tuition and some other benefits. Kind of a weird situation/place. I have been out of full time work for over 2 years but doing consulting on the side, so I said yes to everything question related to my availability.
    I was asked how many years experience in Higher Education I had, I said more than 25 yrs. In hindsight I would guess my age scared them off, I was not asked to continue to the next stage. Odd since my background in HE sales and as a training coach fit nicely into the job responsibilities which included walking prospective students through financial aid and admissions applications. Sounds like a lot of hand holding.

Interview Questions

• If hired will you continue with your consulting business?   1 Answer

University Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I had to complete a Q&A, phone interview and two face to face interviews. First face to face interview was with the HR Rep and the second interview was with Three Supervisors

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2017.

Interview

They contacted me after a week of submitting my application. I did a phone interview, it was more detailed than I thought it would be although I thought it went well.

Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Work as an adjunct if you expect to get an interview. I got the adjunct job by applying to online job postings. Phone call with HR. In person with the department leader. You need a Masters degree in your area in order to be considered for work as an instructor. The adjunct experience answers most of the questions your boss will have about you as a potential full time employee. Your students will share their experiences with your boss. They want intelligent, dynamic, clear and relevant classroom experiences. Speak English well. Know your subject of expertise. Grade fairly and treat students with respect. If a student is failing, follow the "Early Alert" process and document missing work, poor quality or absences and there will be no surprise angry complaints about your performance as an instructor.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of an effective use of technology in the classroom   1 Answer
    • Put these in your order of your preference: teaching, research, publishing academic journals.   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how your work experience will help you as a teacher   1 Answer
    • GCU is a Christian university. How would you treat Christian values in the classroom?   Answer Question

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University in February 2017.

Interview

I had an odd experience applying here, overall. I usually send in a "dummy" resume first, something very similar to my job experience but with a spoofed identity to see what they do or don't respond to. It was very nearly immediately rejected - something like a few hours passed before I got a "no thanks" email.

I looked for things the employer might be biased against to edit out. I dropped my first two jobs, which were in a more manual labor/service environment based on previous experience helping friends doctor their resumes for Grand Canyon and other similar "Sales, but we call it something different" jobs. Bingo! Grand Canyon is biased against people who had labor jobs, Lord knows why, but pretending I never broke a sweat while making money snagged a phone interview right away with identical practical experience.

This is where it gets pretty weird: I got the regular screening email. It's "can you work this shift, is this pay acceptable, can you commute to our location" stuff. It's designed for very basic answers, and it's pretty much binary. Either you are willing to take the job as it is, or you aren't. I filled out the form in a very basic, unobjectional way.

One day later they sent me a rejection letter. It was in fact the identical form rejection letter they sent my first "dummy" resume. Something turned them off, I guess? It would be useful to know what for future interviews, so I sent a letter asking what red flag had popped up and disqualified me. I was very politely told to screw off.

I've been rejected at first application before, plenty of times. I've been rejected less times at the interview stage. I've never had a screening call cancelled for no apparent reason before, though. Just overall very weird.

Anyway, tips! I have a few friends who have interviewed here before, so here goes:

They absolutely prefer you to either have a degree or be working on one. I had a friend get to the interview stage who had to explain his medically necessary year-long hiatus from his degree program, and that was enough to get a "We would rather have someone who is *actively* pursuing a degree, but thanks." rejection.

Grand Canyon hates people who had jobs they view dumb people to hold. If you want an office job, may moses bless you if you were a police officer or a carpet cleaner at some point. The base assumption made is that those people couldn't have done those jobs and still be capable typists or salespeople. Again, don't ask me why, because it's not my culture, but just edit those references out.

One friend who lived a few miles away was rejected for wanting to commute on a bike. He explained after being told that they needed "reliable transportation"(he lived a mile away and had a $1000 bike) that he also had a car, but preferred to bike for exercise when possible. It apparently soured the interview. He related that it had a very "bikes are for poor people" feel.

TL:DR; Grand Canyon set up and then reneged on a phone interview for reasons they refused to explain and were terse and unhelpful when asked why. Grand Canyon hirers for "desk jobs" will, based on the experience of me and a handful of friends, reject anyone who lists any kind of manual labor or service industry experience. One bicyclist friend was rejected for what appeared to be "bikes are for poor people" bias. Gaps in college education, even if well explained, will net you a rejection - pretend you are current and hope they don't check. Basically don't be poor, and don't have been poor at any time.

Interview Questions

• "Can you make this commute?" "Is the listed salary sufficient?" "Can you work this shift?"   1 Answer