Grand Canyon University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grand Canyon University Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017

2.8

Admissions Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University in February 2017.

Interview

I had an odd experience applying here, overall. I usually send in a "dummy" resume first, something very similar to my job experience but with a spoofed identity to see what they do or don't respond to. It was very nearly immediately rejected - something like a few hours passed before I got a "no thanks" email.

I looked for things the employer might be biased against to edit out. I dropped my first two jobs, which were in a more manual labor/service environment based on previous experience helping friends doctor their resumes for Grand Canyon and other similar "Sales, but we call it something different" jobs. Bingo! Grand Canyon is biased against people who had labor jobs, Lord knows why, but pretending I never broke a sweat while making money snagged a phone interview right away with identical practical experience.

This is where it gets pretty weird: I got the regular screening email. It's "can you work this shift, is this pay acceptable, can you commute to our location" stuff. It's designed for very basic answers, and it's pretty much binary. Either you are willing to take the job as it is, or you aren't. I filled out the form in a very basic, unobjectional way.

One day later they sent me a rejection letter. It was in fact the identical form rejection letter they sent my first "dummy" resume. Something turned them off, I guess? It would be useful to know what for future interviews, so I sent a letter asking what red flag had popped up and disqualified me. I was very politely told to screw off.

I've been rejected at first application before, plenty of times. I've been rejected less times at the interview stage. I've never had a screening call cancelled for no apparent reason before, though. Just overall very weird.

Anyway, tips! I have a few friends who have interviewed here before, so here goes:

They absolutely prefer you to either have a degree or be working on one. I had a friend get to the interview stage who had to explain his medically necessary year-long hiatus from his degree program, and that was enough to get a "We would rather have someone who is *actively* pursuing a degree, but thanks." rejection.

Grand Canyon hates people who had jobs they view dumb people to hold. If you want an office job, may moses bless you if you were a police officer or a carpet cleaner at some point. The base assumption made is that those people couldn't have done those jobs and still be capable typists or salespeople. Again, don't ask me why, because it's not my culture, but just edit those references out.

One friend who lived a few miles away was rejected for wanting to commute on a bike. He explained after being told that they needed "reliable transportation"(he lived a mile away and had a $1000 bike) that he also had a car, but preferred to bike for exercise when possible. It apparently soured the interview. He related that it had a very "bikes are for poor people" feel.

TL:DR; Grand Canyon set up and then reneged on a phone interview for reasons they refused to explain and were terse and unhelpful when asked why. Grand Canyon hirers for "desk jobs" will, based on the experience of me and a handful of friends, reject anyone who lists any kind of manual labor or service industry experience. One bicyclist friend was rejected for what appeared to be "bikes are for poor people" bias. Gaps in college education, even if well explained, will net you a rejection - pretend you are current and hope they don't check. Basically don't be poor, and don't have been poor at any time.

Interview Questions

• "Can you make this commute?" "Is the listed salary sufficient?" "Can you work this shift?"   1 Answer

Student Services Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview with HR, then in-person interview with same HR Rep and then a panel interview with three hiring managers for the department. The phone interview with HR has you go over your resume almost line by line. They want a clear understanding of what your role was in each position and what you did. Once you get the HR in-person interview, that was situational questions. If you pass that you are immediately asked to schedule the panel interview which will be more situational questions. If not, the HR rep will just say thank you, and that they will be reaching back out to you shortly.

Interview Questions

• Situational and behavioral questions. Asked things like "describe a time when..."   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

Received an email to confirm an interview, interviewed about a week later. After the interview I was informed that I will be notified in about two weeks. After three weeks I was offered the job

Interview Questions

• How do you use your strengths to overcome your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Lopes Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

October 2016, applied online and got called in for an interview the next week. Interview went pretty good. Lots of behavioral questions like "Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a conflict within your team." It took around 15 mins tops. They called me a few days later with an official offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a conflict within your team.   1 Answer

Online Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was really tedious because they use the star method. Situation, task, action, result. There were about 5-7 questions and you have to use that with all of them. There were a lot of questions like tell me a time when....all pertaining to careers, challenges, and performance. The two people interviewing were really nice and they loved that I asked questions at the end. The recruiter was also very helpful and she practiced a few questions with me on the phone using the star method before I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't know what a customer wanted and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview with the department chair a couple of weeks after applying to the position. We went over questions that described the position in detail and the program's curriculum. Interview questions focused on my past experience and why I would be a good fit for the program. The interviewer was nice and allowed me to ask questions throughout the interview rather than waiting until the end.

Adjunct Professor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University.

Interview

Applied for job and spoke with recruiter. This was not a difficult process (moderate recruiting process) takes about 2 months including a course to understand university, background check, must wait for all employer feedback before you can move to the next level. Must pass the course before you can to teach at University

Regional Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Hope that the little window you might have open is the one this time. But, no matter your fit for the position, the Vice President has already chosen his candidate prior to the interview process so describing the interview doesn't really matter. The last two opportunities really didn't even have interviews, a new person was just placed in the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you can contribute or add to the culture of this team.   Answer Question

Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in April 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty simple process. They called for a phone screening and then scheduled an in-person interview. The in-person interview was about 45 minutes to an hour of STAAR questions.

Interview Questions

• Give us a time that you had to help someone over the phone.   1 Answer

Admissions Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, received email back with screening questions and phone interview time, replied to screening questions and scheduled phone interview with HR. Had phone interview, then 1:1 interview with same woman from the phone interview. She then told me I had to come back for a panel interview with the managers. I scheduled and attended the panel interview. Did not receive offer after 3rd interview. The whole process took about 2 weeks

Interview Questions

• "As a business we over promise things that we are not able to follow through on. Tell us a time that you did this"
      "Tell us a time a customer didn't know what they wanted"
      "Tell us about a time you gained the trust of a customer"
      Answer Question
Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Grand Canyon University Admissions Representative Interview "Can you make this commute?" "Is the listed salary sufficient?" "Can you work this shift?"
Grand Canyon University Student Services Counselor Interview Phoenix, AZ Situational and behavioral questions. Asked things like "describe a time when..."
Grand Canyon University Junior Admissions Representative Interview How do you use your strengths to overcome your weaknesses?
Grand Canyon University Lopes Specialist Interview Phoenix, AZ Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a conflict within your team.
Grand Canyon University Online Enrollment Counselor Interview Tempe, AZ Describe a time when you didn't know what a customer wanted and how you handled it.
Grand Canyon University Assistant Professor Interview What is your ideal work environment?
Grand Canyon University Adjunct Professor Interview Why do you want to teach for Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon University Regional Director of Operations Interview Phoenix, AZ Tell me about what you can contribute or add to the culture of this team.
Grand Canyon University Enrollment Counselor Interview Tempe, AZ Give us a time that you had to help someone over the phone.
Grand Canyon University Admissions Counselor Interview Phoenix, AZ "As a business we over promise things that we are not able to follow through on. Tell us a time that you did this" "Tell us a time a customer didn't know what they wanted" "Tell us about a time you gained the trust of a customer"