Grand Canyon University Interview Questions in Tempe, AZ | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 7, 2017

2.6

Online Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was really tedious because they use the star method. Situation, task, action, result. There were about 5-7 questions and you have to use that with all of them. There were a lot of questions like tell me a time when....all pertaining to careers, challenges, and performance. The two people interviewing were really nice and they loved that I asked questions at the end. The recruiter was also very helpful and she practiced a few questions with me on the phone using the star method before I interviewed.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't know what a customer wanted and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in April 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty simple process. They called for a phone screening and then scheduled an in-person interview. The in-person interview was about 45 minutes to an hour of STAAR questions.

Interview Questions

• Give us a time that you had to help someone over the phone.   1 Answer

Online Enrollment Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview first. Then in-person interview with H.R. Then in-person interview with 2 managers in the online division. I accepted the offer, but was the offer was descended due to background check. Very disappointing, because was very honest about DUI on application, but I didn't write down the place I was convicted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had difficulty with a manager or team member and how you handled it.

All questions were the STAR method...

Background check extensive including credit check.
      Answer Question

University Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in December 2015.

Interview

Submitted application and received a call back from someone in HR. Advised me to come in for an interview. Was expecting to meet with someone 1x1 but was met with a panel of 3 different managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe an uncomfortable situation, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

I received an email to set up a time for a phone interview. After the phone interview, the next step was an in office interview. I first met with the talent specialist who set up the phone interview and she asked me several questions about why I wanted to work for them, etc. After that I was taken to a conference room and had another interview that was conducted by two managers. The managers had great personalities which helped to calm some of the nervousness most of us experience with an interview. They asked me about my work history on my resume. They also asked several S.T.A.R. Method questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process took five days. I had a phone interview with the recruiter and was scheduled for an in-person interview the following day. Three days later I received an email regarding their decision.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview Questions:
      - How did you hear about this position?
      - Why do you want this job?
      - What makes you a great fit for this job?
      - What would your co-workers say about you?

In-Person Interview: STAR Method Questions:
      - Tell us about a time when you provided exceptional customer service.
      - Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a conflict within your team.
      - Tell me about a time when you have had to deal with an angry customer.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

One on One with a team manager - was asked a series of questions to include experience, the pros and cons of the job. How comfortable was I working in a cube environment.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to overcome an objection of someone who needed school but couldn't afford it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted two online applications for the same position with different posting dates. I never got a reply or heard from anyone besides an auto-mated email after initially completing each app. It took a referral to get an email to set up a phone screening. Even after my referral submitted my info, it took a week or two to get an email. However, I later found out that they were starting training for new hires about 10 days out from when they contacted me. Not nearly enough time to give two weeks to current employer and process seemed quite rushed considering I had submitted two applications anywhere from two to four weeks in prior.

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving current position? What would your friends say your strengths are? What are you strengths? Tell us about a time you provided excellent customer service.   Answer Question
    • Have you worked in a call-center environment before? Are you comfortable taking 100 phones calls a day and/or talking on the phone for 3 hours a shift?   Answer Question

This was a phone screening. I was offered an in-person interview but declined since the position seems to be more of a call-center and sales environment (which is noted in many of the employee reviews on Glassdoor). Also, on the website they advertise $43k to start for the position but they only were offering $40k. They noted on the phone after you complete two years you are automatically increased to $50k. Overall, felt they advertise false information about the position and its pay, and then they rush through the interviewing process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ) in August 2014.

Interview

The recruiter seemed confused as originally she was considering me for a different position. She asked me to email her with 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. She didn't get back to me for a couple of days and then it was only to tell me that that position had been filled and would I be interested in the enrollment counselor position. I said yes, and once again she asked me for 3 dates and times I would be available for an interview. We scheduled a time for the following Monday.

Later that day, she said she would prefer to have me do an in-person interview rather than a phone screen and asked me again to set an interview time. I reminded her of the time we had already set and we decided to use that time. I showed up on Monday and she asked me questions that were basically a phone-screen interview rather than a formal interview. She mentioned that I would be hearing from them the next day to schedule an interview with the hiring manager.

She also mentioned salary very early in the conversation. She wanted to know my salary history and was concerned that I might not be happy with the salary they were offering, which was not negotiable.

I never did hear back to schedule the next interview, and follow up messages have not been returned.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions whatsoever.   1 Answer

Student Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grand Canyon University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was contacted approximately 30 days later. After a phone interview, I was rushed into an interview that went well. After the interview, the interviewing hiring manager contacted my internal referral and asked about me and I was told they had a nice conversation. I've been in many interviews and so I know good ones and bad ones and this was a good one. Sent follow-up thank you notes as well. Was told I would hear back within a week, but I never heard back. After two weeks I contacted the HR coordinator I had been working with by phone and email. After multiple attempts to make contact I never heard back and never received a rejection notice. My voice mails and emails were flat out ignored. I had also contacted the hiring manager to follow-up after about a month and I never received any communication back from her either. While I have a feeling I slipped between the cracks, I've never been through an interview process where I never heard back. I've never had ignored communication either. It was extremely disappointing because I have lots of experience and was excited about working for them. It was extremely unprofessional and frustrating because they told me I needed to interview within two days of contacting me, which forced me to change travel plans. Hindsight being what it is, I don't understand the rush. I can't help but hold GCU in much lower regards because they did not show any respect for me or my time.