Grand Circle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 11, 2016

3.2

Traveler Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

My first interview was a phone/screening interview with a recruiter where I was asked situational personality questions, and got more information about the job requirements. The company is very serious about their six core values, practicing an open attitude, and being extremely flexible with regard to scheduling. I was surprised when I was asked in the screening interview about potential conflicts up to 4 or 5 months in advance. I have never been asked to provide this information in an interview before, or at the very least, not in the initial stage. At the end of the phone interview I was invited to participate in a group interview on site 2 days later. I was interviewing together with 4 other people who were applying for different, non-competing positions. We were asked to share our knowledge about the company values, client base, programs on offer, and then show teamwork in action by collaborating on an egg drop/travel pitch challenge, and a hypothetical crisis management scenario. We were then asked to rate ourselves on a scale of 1-5 and explain why we chose that rating. After the group session, we were brought to a waiting room where we waited to be called up for part 2, observation and one-on-one. I listened in on a customer service call and was asked to provide feedback for the person I was listening to. Then I was asked to a one-on-one with a hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to confront a colleague or superior about a method you disagreed with. How did you handle the situation? What was the result?   Answer Question

Senior Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

ridiculous.. questions are not related to skills.. it seems like they do not care about the set of skills. Group interview is a joke.. I consider it as a wast of my time..

Interview Questions

• do you offer your honest opinion when you asked for feedback? Do you speak up and participate in meetings? Do you take one more step than you thought you could?
      the first this that I wanted to do is just stood up and leave.. what a waste of time!! I wish I trust all the negative reviews that are published.. I trust them now.. As soon as you hear Grand Circle name - just run!!
      1 Answer

Traveler Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA).

Interview

They are very selective. Group interview is to test you out in a group setting to see if you stand out and display their core values. If you don't you don't make it to the next round.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Apply
    Within a few days you'll get an email from HR for a convenient time to speak
    Then there will be a small phone call / scree
    It's not really an interview - just a friendly call about the role and company.

Interview Questions

• - Simple call, asking about your skills and fit for job.   Answer Question

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

A joke. When I'm in the 2nd round & they still have no job title or description, that says a lot. And they want a lot of personal information about you including a personality index. After I put 8 hours into interviewing & research, I heard...nothing at all. I guess they passed? I'd have passed on an offer but how incredibly unprofessional. Glad I refused to do their other idiotic assignment.

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Initially, I talked on the phone with a representative from HR. It lasted about 30-minutes. Do some research on the company first. She will get a "feel" if you can talk to the hiring manager. If you impress her, a phone screen will be scheduled with the hiring manager for your position. It is a short phone call lasting maybe 30 to 45 minutes or so. My hiring manager was VERY BLUNT about the company and encouraged me to read Glassdoor and to be sure I want to continue. FYI, my manager left the company about 3 months I started. Be forewarned!

The in-person interview, overall, took between 5 to 6 hours. GCC holds interviews twice a week, Tuesday and Thursdays. The morning session began with a lesson/discussion on company culture and history. It was impressed on me beforehand to study. IF YOU ARE REALLY DESPERATE for this position, be outgoing, friendly and take charge during the team building exercises.

Yes, you heard correctly team building exercises! For me we were given a number of straws, some tape and a raw egg. We (there was a group of about 6 to 8) were given a travel scenario to work from -- ours was a parachute trip in Costa Rica. Basically, we had to provide a presentation on the trip, then construct a cage around the egg and drop it. Hopefully, the egg will survive the drop. There are a couple of other team building exercises that basically fall into the category of "What would you do to resolve this problem?" They change so, what I had may not be what you have.

The two representatives from "People & Culture" (i.e. HR) will decide if you met the ideal GCC employee requirements or not; if you are deemed worthy of Grand Circle you are invited to meet with representatives of the specific department/group that you will be working with. At anytime, you can walk out -- keep this in mind.
    I STRONGLY suggest really reading the reviews on Glassdoor about GCC. The turnover/attrition rate is over 40%. All new hires are on a 90-day probationary period on benefits.

Interview Questions

• Can anyone tell us who started Grand Circle Travel?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied for a position through a recruiter. I had a 20 minute phone screen with a woman in HR. She explained that Grand Circle bases its hiring decisions mostly on whether or not the candidate fits in with the company values, and less on whether or not they have the required skill set. I went in for an in-person interview the next week. The other reviews on Glassdoor are accurate- there is a group interview where you interview with a group of other candidates who are there for different positions. They have you complete the egg drop exercise and work through a case study, and they talk quite a bit about their values and how the company makes decisions. After the group interview, they bring everyone back to the waiting room and call you out one by one to the next round. I believe almost everyone in my group passed the group interview, but you can be asked to leave if you do not. The interview for the actual position was fairly standard. I met with 5 or 6 people in groups of 2. The whole process went from 8:30-12.

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

Circus. Group interview lasts over 2 hours with no food or water given.
    You must be vocal and interact with the process or you will not make the first cut.
    They will tell you "We get 100's of resumes a day, so making it this far says a lot about you."

Interview Questions

• Three team building exercises.
      1) Egg drop, yes egg drop. Straws and tape and make up a story about your egg and its travel path. They then make you stand on a chair and drop the egg, does not matter if it breaks or not.
      2) What would you do in emergency situation?
      3) Disaster happened in country where travelers are, what do you do now?
      1 Answer

Digital Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

First round is a telephone call. Second is a group interview. You go in with people who are interviewing for all sorts of jobs and sit in a group. They talk about the company and the culture. You split into two groups and are given tasks. The first was you're given an egg, 17 straws and a length of scotch tape and are told to make a contraption so that when you drop the egg from the height of the ceiling, it doesn't break. Literally. This is what they did. The next is they put you in different groups and give you disaster scenarios and ask you to come up with a plan of how you would handle them. If you pass this interview, you go into single interviews right after. I met with three groups of 2 people.

Interview Questions

• What is more important, meeting a deadline or perfecting the copy?
      How do you handle a fast paced environment?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

It was difficult because I'm a woman and I find those things difficult. But I asked for more and in the end they gave it to me without much of a problem. I should have asked for more but I panicked. I got $3000 more than the original offer.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grand Circle (Boston, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter was long, heavy on their "culture and values" but informative. Phone screen with hiring manager was short, on point, and seemed to be a good fit. In person "group interview" was a ridiculous waste of time. Activities culled from a middle school curriculum - can you build something to keep the egg from breaking, review a case study and guess what the action plan/outcome was - basic, silly stuff. If you're young, inexperienced and trying to land, go for it. The travel perks are likely worth it. This certainly appeared like a lot of ageism in play to weed out the oldsters from the cool kids. If you're established in your career, don't waste your time with this amateurish assessment of your abilities to be a good fit. Your skills, experience, and track record never come into play.

Interview Questions

• What values do you remember from the web site?   1 Answer