Grant Street Group Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Grant Street Group Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Apr 10, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screening which was short and pretty standard followed by an initial phone interview. I when through several rounds of skype interviews before being asked to come to an on-site interview. The on-site interview lasts the entire day. Overall all the people I interviewed with were very friendly and nice to talk to. The interviews were actually pretty fun overall. The CEO is pretty dry to interview with and comes across as being kind of angry but everyone else is nice enough to make up for it.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through a complex issue that you understand.   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you had to solve a complex issue?   Answer Question
    • If you were to create a piece of software, what would it do and how would it look?   Answer Question
    • What would the process of designing the software look like?   Answer Question
    • What are your greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • They ask you a couple basic math problems and ask you to walk them through how you got the solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

The first round was a phone screening with a recruiter who asked basic questions about my resume and my interest in the company and the position. During this time, I also attended an on-site shadow day at the company. The next round was an video conference interview with the a business analyst lead in charge of recruiting. The final round was an all-day in-person interview. I met with several people from all around the company, some in-person and some over video conference (which felt a bit odd). There were many basic behavioral interview questions, a session where you went over a problem you worked to solve with a group of BA's, and a session with a couple of extremely basic math questions. All and all, I found the entire process very positive, and was very surprised when I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to explain a difficult concept to someone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

It was a thirty minute phone call with basic question. After that they emailed a "take-home" writing assessment. You have 60 minutes to write the paper. It basically asked you described a business/complex problem that occurred and the steps you took to solved it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

HR sent me a 45-minute Perl test, which I passed. After that, they sent me a 2-hour take-home programming assignment, which I also passed. After another HR call, they told me multiple times that I'd be taking a one-hour Javascript test over webcam.

It turned out to be nothing of the sort. The interviewer only asked me vague questions about improving the solution to my take-home assignment. My attempts at clarification were unhelpful. Neither of us seemed to understand each other's point. He then told me we'd concluded the interview.

This was a pretty busy time of the year for me. Needless to say, if I'd gotten a remotely accurate description of the interview format, I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours for nothing.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve your solution to the take-home assignment?   Answer Question

Grant Street Group Response

Dec 19, 2016 – Human Resources Specialist

We're sorry to hear that your interview experience didn't meet your expectations. This sounds like our old interview format, and we have improved the interview process since then. If you have any ... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online, then they sent me a list of questions to answer. One month passes and no response. I contact them and they set me up with a phone screening. I complete a one-hour writing assignment detailing a challenge I overcame at the workplace. Then I went to an all-day interview at their office in downtown from 9:00 am to about 3:00 pm.

Overall, I was alarmed by the white majority in the office. I saw one South Asian fellow in passing, but everyone else was Caucasian. They talk about how "diverse" they are, but employing a people with different academic backgrounds doesn't make the same impact. Aside form the total lack of diversity, they seemed a little disinterested in their work. They talked a lot about "company culture" (which I can now deduce means "white culture"), but some noted that the job itself was kind of boring and tedious. The work isn't something you want to do, I think people like it there because they fit in and there's free food. In hindsight... meh. Full disclosure, I'm white, but I don't look it. I was fully qualified for the job and delighted most of the people at my full-day interview but alas, no offer. I wonder why...

Senior Perl Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and never heard anything. Emailed Company, received email next day asking to set up interview. Also took an online test. Nice people but they seemed a little scattered.

Interview Questions

• Basic perl questions, not hard if you have had any time working with perl. However there was a time limit so if you are a methodical programmer you may have some trouble.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2015.

Interview

It starts with an initial phone screening and writing test. The writing test 60 minutes to describe either a product implementation you were involved in or a time that you solved a complex business problem. The next stage is an all day on-site interview (I got there at 10:30 AM and didn't leave until 4:45pm). There are a number of one-on-one sessions (about 20 minutes each) and two senior business analysts took me to lunch. There is one panel interview (3 people) where they ask you to talk about what you wrote in the writing sample. They'll ask you to illustrate things on a whiteboard while you talk and ask you questions about the project for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to solve two fairly simple math problems and then explain how I solved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was forwarded to a basic coding test, and then one-to-one web conference where I was asked to look at some code and explain what it does. None of the questions were especially difficult, assuming you'd seen any amount of code before.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through university. The process took approximately two weeks. First was a code screen involving very basic function implementations. Next was a coding challenge which was a bit more involved. Finally, there was a technical Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a url, return the words and their frequency on the webpage in ascending order.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

Answered a series of questions in person and filled out a registration form. Mostly basic questions about your experience and resume. I was later contacted to via email and was asked to finish a programming test. You had one hour to complete it. It was a basic web scrapping script. Easy