Great American Insurance Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Great American Insurance Company Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.6

Property Claims Adjuster Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company.

Interview

Long long long process. I applied for a workers comp trainee position. I did a phone interview, which was harder than i expected lots of Star questions and why should we hire you. After that I got invited to an in person interview. It was a panel interview of 3 people. Again lots of star questions and questions about my past work experience. This is were it got strange. I didn't hear from them for a week then the person I interviewed with called me and told me that they were merging two positions (workers comp and property) and that if I wanted to I could interview with the VP of claims through telephone (he was back east). I told him sure. He scheduled me for an interview with the VP man. The day came around and no phone call. I guess it was a scheduling conflict. I got it rescheduled for the next day. I was told that this was the last interview. The interview lasted an hour. The guy asked pretty standard questions, except one "Why is the man hole round" that through me way off. Was told that he would make a decision soon. And got another email regarding yet another interview, this time with 6 people over the phone. We will see how it goes.

Interview Questions

• Why is the man hole round?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company (Cincinnati, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

Referred to by employee in the marketing department. Was contacted a week later. Went in for the face to face interview and was contacted the same day with a job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. $34K base with 18 days paid vacation

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

Completed online Application, within two weeks had HR phone interview, HR in person interview, then in person interview with hiring manager. A few days later had an interview in person with the hiring manager's manager and then interview in person by the president of the organization. Then a few days later I was asked to meet "over lunch" with the manager that I would work directly with. Incidentally, ALL the managers were men which threw up a red flag for this gal. "If it walks like a duck then it's a duck", #GAI=BOYSCLUB

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Hiring manager called, offered the job and told me the salary. When I asked for the additional $5k which was specified in my application, he said that we will start with his salary and then at the yearly review we will see where we are then.

UA Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Process went smoothly from the initial interview to the 2nd interview with Divisional VP. It was more so a conversation rather than an interview.. I always believe in knowing a way to express what you do and stating it from the beginning of the interview and then you ask them questions.. * Always research the company's values and history so it can be part of the interview and this will help steer the topics off of work... I received an offer and was very excited!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Able to negotiate salary

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crosse, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company (La Crosse, WI) in July 2016.

Interview

This is a phone screen. The recruiter introduced some parts of this job that didn't say on the job description. Then It began with some personal simple questions like introduce yourself a little bit and what course you like most in college. After that, he came up with some simple technical questions like what is a class. I used a cellphone and the signal was very bad that day. So the recruiter may didn't hear my answer very clearly. I didn't get any reply after the phone screen.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2016.

Interview

The process went smooth, I met with three different people. The three people were all from different levels and teams that work closely together to see if I'd be a good fit for one team in particular. I was asked behavioral questions with a twist (not standard wording which threw me off a little). I'm glad I'd prepared though.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you promised to have something completed by a deadline and were not able to deliver. What was the impact? How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company in May 2016.

Interview

Interview was very informal. They asked me what classes I have taken in college and why IT interested me. They also asked me if I had leadership positions in the past. The interview was with two people over the phone. It was a casual conversation.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2016.

Interview

Let me preface this by saying, I'm a member of Mensa; It's an organization for people with high I.Q.'s who score better than 98% of people who take these types of tests.

So, dressed in a business suit I go into a room with several other candidates to take a "test". I sit down and do said "test" which is all logic and deductive reasoning types of questions, basically an I.Q. test. I am excellent at these types of tests! Not one question was even remotely about ANYTHING programming language related.

There was a guy in the front of the room sitting at a computer who would keep looking up at people and then typing things, repeatedly. I also noticed at the front of the room that there was a security camera high up on the wall in the center of the room.

So i get done, knowing with 100% certainty that i got AT LEAST 90% of the questions right, absolutely for sure. Then he walks me out the door and says "Well, your test scores are below our baseline of what we are looking for in a candidate, so we wont be going any further in the process. Thank you. There is the stairs." Needless to say, i was shocked! Speechless, literally speechless.

I can not say for sure if there were people watching on the security camera who were relaying messages to this guy as to who to hire or not hire based on certain "looks" of people, whether that be racial, gender, age, or disability based, etc. But what i can say is that they are going to spend a whole lot of time and man hours trying to find very many candidates with a higher I.Q. than myself willing to work at an entry level position.

My opinion is, do not even bother applying with this company or its subsidiaries.

Interview Questions

• "Using W for North, E for South, Q for East, and M for West, what letter would you use in their order to follow this map: North, North, South, North, West, East, North, East, South?"   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company (Cincinnati, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a local recruiter and told about the opportunity so I sent in my resume. GAI asked to interview me about a week later. The recruiter sent me a generic project manager job description and could not give me specifics. I showed up for the interview where the recruiter met me, and I was a bit surprised at his attire (jeans/casual). The recruiter told me to make sure I was friendly and outgoing because the position required that I work with people who were put off by PM's who were "too hard charging". Next, I interviewed for about an hour with the PMO manager, a Senior PM and a Program Manager. I thought the interview went OK and I was able to answer all their questions. Later I heard back via the recruiter that "from a personality perspective he didn’t convey much of a take charge kind of attitude" which was surprising since they didn't ask me anything about dealing with issues or handling difficult people. I believe the recruiter did me a disservice by giving me bad information about the job.

Interview Questions

• What development methodology do you use?   1 Answer
    • What metrics do you use to track projects?   1 Answer
    • Describe a project where you were unsuccessful.   1 Answer

Writing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Great American Insurance Company in April 2016.

Interview

1st round = phone interview
    2nd round = on-site interview
    They contacted me 3 months after I submitted my resume through online campus recruiting portal. The interviewer was positive and accommodating! She was trying to make sure my skills/ experience fit that of the overall company.

Interview Questions

• Q. What describes an ideal work environment for you?   Answer Question
    • Q. Please elaborate on your writing capabilities (specific from the resume)   Answer Question