Great Oaks Charter Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Great Oaks Charter Schools Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

Tutor Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools.

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone interview with someone from their headquarters. Then was invited for an in-person interview. During the in-person I got a tour of the school, observed student tutorials, and had a one-on-one interview with the Coordinator of the Tutor Corps at the school.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in your life when you were in an uncomfortable situation. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I first applied to the Tutor corps and received an email about a week later to set up a phone interview. The first phone interview was about 20 minutes and they asked a lot of questions about myself as a person and student. Then about a week later I had a 30 minute Skype interview. Similar questions were asked, but more had to do with my work habits and how well I would fit into the Great Oaks environment. Both interviewers were extremely nice.

Interview Questions

• What is one class you struggled with and how did you get through it?   1 Answer

Tutor Corp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

I received a phone call scheduling a phone interview. In the phone interview, I was asked some basic questions about my classroom experience and questions about how I would be able to handle certain situations, etc. Then the interviewer said I would be a good fit for a certain site, so they set me up with a Skype interview for that site. I interviewed with that site and the interviewer explained a little more about the company. And I answered a few more questions about my experience, etc.

Interview Questions

• What will get you through the long, grueling days where you just want to quit?   1 Answer

Was a little concerned with other reviews of job, as well as previous engagements.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools in June 2016.

Interview

I first had a phone call and then a Skype interview. Both interviewers were very nice and friendly. They made me feel like I was doing very well during the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a different tutor had pulled one of your students out of line, claiming they were talking?   Answer Question

Tutor Corps Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received an email a few days later to set up a phone interview with a recruiter. They initially talk about the position, ask typical tell me about yourself questions, some behavioral questions on your past experiences in tutoring/teaching or with children, and then have time to answer your questions. It was very conversational and relaxed. After that, I was asked to an in-person group/panel interview at the school I was most interested in working at, but decided later not to move forward because of concerns over the stipend amount. However, it really did seem like an awesome opportunity and work.

Interview Questions

• A lot of tell me about a time you experienced a challenge type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools (Wilmington, DE) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was emailed by their talent recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview took 30 minutes and they said that they would have me do a group interview for the school in Wilmington, DE. The in-person interview happened a month later and ended up being 3 hours long. It ended up being a one-on-one interview with the hiring manager and she led a tour around the school where I met the current staff. We sat down and she asked me similar questions that were on the phone interview. She then gave me 20 minutes to read a packet on Mars and prepare a 15-minute lesson to a student (I have never lesson planned before in my life). I was notified a week later that I got the job and was given a week to accept or decline the offer.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a bit about yourself"
      How does your education background fit in to our mission?
      Describe your leadership experience.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools (Wilmington, DE) in March 2016.

Interview

There are 2 phone interviews with Recruiting before you interview with the actual branch school in person (or over Skype if you can't go to the actual school). The in-person interview consists of a tour of the school, sitting in a classroom and tutorial, having a mock tutorial with a student, a Q&A session with current tutors, and then an interview with 3 admin staff.

Interview Questions

• They ask the usual strengths/weaknesses. One question was to describe a situation where you made a mistake and received feedback and how you handled that feedback.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools (Bridgeport, CT) in January 2016.

Interview

Long, pointless, and frustrating. It took them weeks to get through everything and I always responded within a couple hours. They took way too long to get back. They wasted a lot of my time. I spent the entire time talking about my enthusiasm for Literature and how excited I was to teach English, then once I got there they told me I'd be a math tutor. They completely misrepresented themselves and their intentions.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you failed?   1 Answer

Great Oaks Charter Schools Response

Jun 21, 2016 – Director of Talent and Recruitment

Hello. Thanks again for your feedback. Your hire was not typical as we generally do not make mid-year hires. In fact you were one of two people that were hired for a mid-year start and the only ... More

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Online application, phone call, in person interview. Process was quick and heard back from people in a timely manner. Questions were typical for what you would expect when applying for a school.

Interview Questions

• What are three qualities that will help you persevere through difficult times the job may confront you with   Answer Question

Great Oaks Tutor Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Great Oaks Charter Schools in November 2015.

Interview

very fast process. Received an email after submitting an resume, asking to schedule a time with a recruiter. At the end of the interview, they asked to schedule in person interviews on site, which included shadowing and a mock tutoring session.

Interview Questions

• Q: What are your plans for after tutoring?
      Q: Why are you interested in tutoring for Great Oaks?
      Q. Great Oaks is a tough and demanding environment, what experiences have you had that have prepared you for this?
      Answer Question