Groupon Outside Sales Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Groupon Outside Sales Account Executive Interview Questions

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Outside Sales Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Groupon in June 2016.

Interview

I applied via LinkedIn after seeing the job posting and was quickly contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. I was moved along in the process and had a phone interview with the Regional Sales Manager, who I would be directly reporting to. He told me he was interviewing ten people for the role, and would push his top two forward to speak to his boss, his boss's counterpart on the east coast, and then his boss's boss, the Vice President of the division. I happened to be one of the top two and was moved forward for three back to back phone interviews with the aforementioned people.

I thought it went well and I built great rapport with all three. Much to my surprise, the recruiter who was guiding the interview process along went radio silent on me in regard to the next steps. When I contacted her, she said they were revamping the training and had put a hiring freeze on the role. She let me know I was still being considered and she'd be in touch in the next thirty days. I've heard nothing and it's been nearly sixty.

Bottom line: Whether Groupon went in a different direction with another candidate, or eliminated the role entirely, that's completely fine - I would've simply expected the professional courtesy of an email back.

I spent over a month in five different interviews with them and I found it disrespectful of my time and energy that they didn't get back to me. So if you're reading this, Groupon, I'm no longer interested.

Other Interview Reviews for Groupon

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Groupon (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

he asked me to sell him a pen. I asked questions about him to try to find out why a pen would be valuable and then sold the pen that way. They are looking for a consultive sales person. I then followed up the next day to say - if you are reading this perhaps you are still contemplating on whether or not to buy the pen...and proceeded to try to tip the scales. It was my thank you for the interview letter. It worked.

Outside Sales Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Groupon in September 2015.

Interview

First screen by recruiter. Next the direct manager in your area. Next a team of 4 national executives. All for 30 minutes or more. A total of six phone interviews. Every single person in this process missed their appointment time, was late, or rescheduled last minute. Only two of the executives bothered to apologize for wasting so much time that I took to dedicate to these lengthy phone interviews. They are looking for entry level executives. People with more experience expect results from the entire company (sales fulfillment and management). Their base salary in Silicon Valley is 45k. That is not anywhere close to the base that other SMB Account Executives make here in the valley. They promised word back after the final interview by Monday. Monday came and went...Tuesday.....Wednesday morning.... Not surprising that they didn't deliver on the most basic courtesy as they had already done so more than seven times. This process was absolutely awful. I was not selected for the role. I don't know why. The Direct Manager for the role said my interview and sales pitch was the best he had ever heard. Good luck. I read other reviews from current employees and there will be issues with management and commissions. Sounds like a huge headache. Not being chosen may be a blessing in disguise. Not worth the nearly 7 hours of phone calls and emails as part of this process.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Chicago, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

3 phone interviews and an in person meeting... had a phone interview, then we had skype interviews and then an in person with the direct manager... it was not too long and the meetings lasted about 30 minutes each...

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable asking financial questions and can you explain ROI   1 Answer

Outside Sales Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon.

Interview

Close everyone you talk to. Know the business well. Do your homework. Be ready for a math question. And don't be shocked when it's a very young person asking the questions. Even though you may hear about how lax the atmosphere is, still wear a stinking suit to your interview!

Interview Questions

• A math question. "If we ran a $10 for $20 and paid the merchant $5, and they're food cost was xx%, how much overspend before the merchant makes money".   1 Answer

Negotiation

Was none. Recruiter told me $45,000 to start. But the offer was $50,000. So I kept my mouth shut.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Columbus, OH) in June 2013.

Interview

Took about a month or so.... 3-4 interviews- starting with the recruiter (2x's)- then the hiring manager, then the regional director. All of the interviews were via Skype as they're based in Chicago and am outside rep in another market. Many situational questions- what would you do__x_? What did you do__x__? How did you handle__x__?

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult- basic outside sales questions- situational.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated pay via the recruiter to the regional director of sales.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Groupon (San Diego, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Very normal sales interview. It was a piece of cake. They just want to make sure it is a fit for both parties. They want to know that you are a team player and that sales is all about building relationships.

Outside Sales Account Executive Interview

Interview

Reviews are done via Skype. Easy process and they seem to have no professional process.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Groupon (Dallas, TX) in July 2012.

Interview

Recruiter sent me message through linked in. Talked to recruiter then 3 levels of over the phone interviews.

Negotiation

I was able to get $3000 more on salary than offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2012.

Interview

Someone that works at groupon passed my resume to HR. I received an email and set up a short, 15 minute phone interview. That went well and I was invited to a second phone interview. The second interview was about 40 minutes.

I was invited to interview in person in Philadelphia with The International VP of Sales and the City manager, who were flying in from Chicago to interview candidates for an evening and the following day. I prepared the best I could, preparing questions, seraching the internet for Groupon in the news, which was pretty negative at this point in time, stock performance, etc. I actually prepared a 30, 60, 90 day plan which I never had the opportuntiy to present. I also had prepared some info for role playing, even though I was told that it would just be conversational interview.

I shook the hand of the City Manager and then was introduced to the International VP of Sales. He asked me about my background and then jumped right into role playing.... It was typical, he was a restaurant owner and I would try to sell him a groupon daily deal. I introduced grouon. I overcame 3 or 4 objections price( people spend more than the groupon), why do I need this (keep up with competition), keep new customers with groupon rewards, why no go with cheaper competitors- do not have the larger client base of groupon, brand, customer analysis, etc. He asked mre to calculate discounts- when I came up with the answer immediately, he tried to sutmp me with more difficult calulations. When he said he wanted to think about I set a follow up appt. But I didn't close him on the spot so he let me ask a couple questions and had the HR person tell me they would contact me next week. I never got to sit down with the city manager.

MY RECOMMENDATION: BE PREPARED TO SELL! Practice role playing with anyone that will sit down with you before the interview!