Groupon Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

2.8

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Great interviewing experience.
    Advanced directly to onsite through fast tracking process. Met with hiring manager (past projects and deep dive into Android knowledge), Android engineers (system design question on whiteboard), lunch with Product Manager (behavioral and culture fit questions), Engineering Manager (pair programming coding challenge on laptop), and finally with Director (more culture fit and questions about company). All people involved in the interview were really pleasant and knowledgeable and I felt valued throughout the process. Received offer the next day and HR was really helpful with allowing me time to conclude my other interviews before letting them know my decision. Judging from the interview process and the people I met Groupon seems a great company to work for.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Distasteful and unprofessional. I was urged to give the Technical Interview on the phone w/the hiring manager in spite of not being well. I spent a day or two prepping for the interview. Without prior notice, another hiring manager from a totally different team showed up on the call. The entire phone screen including case study was based on this new hiring manager's product area or focus and not what I was going to be hired for. I was caught off guard and all the time I spent working up on the product I was going to be hired for was a waste.

After spending an hour on the phone w/the interviewer and days prior being engaged w/the company in the hiring process; the recruiters had no decency to respond back to my follow up emails. Irrespective of whether I made it through or not to the next round, I would have liked some feedback and at least a response back from the company.

The recruiters and company need to value the time and effort candidates put in to the interviewing process.

Technical Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

First call was all about behavior questions and resume. Second call was from a member of the team. After some more questions about my experience/project stuff, the interviewer directly described a table for me and asked me to respond with SQL clause. Personally I'm not comfortable with writing SQL "by mouth". I had a hard time understanding what kind of result the interviewer expected, and had to repeat my clause word by word to make myself understood. I guess bad communication is why I fail the interview.

Software Engineer, Backend Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Got an on-campus interview two days after talking to a recruiter at the college career fair. A week later they emailed me saying I've passed to the final round interviews. Had 3 Skype interviews back-to-back, each one an hour long a couple of weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would handle a large amount of data, given you have a limited amount of memory.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Phone interview as a pre-screen with a member of the team, good dialogue.

Despite letting them know I was booked for 2+ weeks, coordinator responded back with dates where I was unavailable and we had to reschedule 2 weeks out.

In person, personalities were frigid and unfriendly (you're NOT a leukemia research center, maybe your organization could benefit if you had a little fun or a personality). Management lacked communication/social skills and focus. Misalignment of the organization to target audience and market segment that company wants to focus on. When I asked management about the strategy they didn't have one. There was a clear issue with gender diversity; all interviewers on the list were male.

My second interviewer acted dicey towards the end of our conversation and I suppose the hiring manager pinged him. Of course, they sent the scheduling coordinator to break the news....they made sure to pay me a compliment before telling me I wasn't a good fit, but frankly I was ecstatic to leave as the feeling was mutual.

They blocked 5 hrs of time for interviews including a lunch hour but ended abruptly at noon without offering to at least buy lunch for wasting my day. It's normal to have adjustments to interview schedules before the interview gets started or substitutes due to conflicts but this was completely unprofessional and inconsiderate to a candidate's time.

Best advice for anyone interviewing here in the product management group here is that you'll need to be fine with wasting your time, rude/dicey behavior, poor communication, and gender bias.

Interview Questions

• There is an offer, how would you go about testing out how it would do?   1 Answer
    • The follow up was why look at addressable market?   1 Answer
    • If you had two offers, you don't know anything about those two things which would you want?   1 Answer
    • I have scenario x, how you would create a product strategy and workflow.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

talked to a recruiter at a groupon tech talk. heard back they wanted me for a on-campus interview with two engineers. then did an onsite where i ate lunch and had 2 in person interviews and 2 remote call interviews. it seemed some of the engineers couldn't choose their own questions. i heard back after 3 weeks of that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for the Software Engineer position. Initial round was a phone screen where the interviewer asked me questions based on my skills mentioned on my resume and then had a coding question. It was pretty straightforward. Later I was invited for an On-site interview and had 5 rounds. Each round consisted of discussing experience on a project mentioned on the resume and a whiteboard coding question. The questions were based on knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms. The focus was more on solving the problems rather than solving it in optimum time.

Interview Questions

• One round they asked me to implement a HashMap. The interviewer was not too clear about what was actually required.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I had 1 on campus interview through the university and 1 onsite. The interview process was really fast and it took only 2 weeks from on campus interview to offer letter. The onsite interview had 3 technical interviews and 1 lunch interview. There were a surprising amount of behavioral questions. Other than that the interview process was really easy.

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

They first took phone interview. I cleared it and then they called me for On site interview. I went through 5 rounds of interviews.
    One was related to programming. Another was related to project strategies and rest 3 were related to testing skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Groupon (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Honestly, one of the worst interview experiences I've had.

I applied through my campus career center. Two days before the scheduled date for on-campus interviews, the recruiter reaches out to me to schedule a time. I happened to be free that day, but I did not appreciate the last-minute nature of this scheduling.

My interview session is two half hour slots. The first half hour, I talk with a senior engineer about my interests and background, and do a short coding question. The second half hour, I interview with a software engineer who joined about a year or two ago. The entire time, he is on his phone checking his email and frowning. I felt both annoyed and pressured. He had no comments to make on my code and it seems as if he had just given up, even before the interview started. I thought his behavior was very unprofessional.

A week later, I get the standard impersonal automated rejection email. Oh well, no use worrying about this sinking ship.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to determine if a tree is a subtree of another tree.   Answer Question