Gryphon Scientific Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 27, 2017

3.6

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Takoma Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific (Takoma Park, MD) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied through the company website. Interviewed on site with 2 senior analyst. Interview took about an hour. Started with behavioral questions and going over my resume. I then had to explain a specific scientific process and lab technique as if the audience had no experience with it. Was asked very specific questions about this and had to work my way through their questions. Then I was asked 2 case problems, which were quite difficult.

Research Assistant (APLS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Takoma Park, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific (Takoma Park, MD).

Interview

The interview took ~2 hours and was conducted by 3-4 different people. I was asked one Fermi problem (I think it was to estimate the number of cars in the US), a few case study questions about disaster management/response in DC, the radioactive cookie problem (with alpha, beta, gamma radiation), a few simple computer science questions (these were really simple, just binary search and 7 bridges of Konigsberg), and a few miscellaneous questions relating to biology. I had a limited background in biology, but they seemed to avoid asking anything that couldn't be answered with common sense arguments. I also met with a few of the heads of the company at the end.

Interview Questions

• If there was a bomb threat on the national mall, discuss the best response in terms of rerouting/closing roads so that aid can get into the area and people to get out of the area.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Takoma Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific (Takoma Park, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

Brief 45 minute interview (two employees). Started with behavioral questions (almost a review of your key qualifications), then about 20-30 minutes of technical questions. These technical questions were mostly brain teasers to test your ability to answers odd questions on the spot. It's important to walk through your thoughts and talk out your solution. Feel free to ask questions to get possible missing information.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific in May 2015.

Interview

I did a Skype interview with one of the scientists there. She was not very friendly and it seemed like the interview was more of a chore than something she was interested in doing. Prior to the interview, I had to do a short report on a journal article about the epidemiology of a disease in a population. During the interview itself, I was asked multiple questions about my experience that could have been clearly answered by my resume. Overall it was not a very pleasant experience and even if I had been offered a job (after a poor interview I was not expecting anything), I'm not sure this would have been a place where I would have wanted to work.

Interview Questions

• Estimate how many cars there are in the US (no calculator or Google)   1 Answer

Research Assistant (APLS) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Takoma Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific (Takoma Park, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview took two hours total with the first hour being conducted with a senior researcher at Gryphon and the second hour being with two leads at the company. Theory-Based questions comprised most of the 1st part of the interview and were very interesting in that they aimed at assessing your problem-solving skills. The second set had more math based questions as well as assessing your technical knowledge and science background. Those were significantly more challenging and required quick thinking and use of proportions, rates, exponential increase, etc. to solve the problems. There's nothing you can really study up on before going into this interview due to the nature of the questions but definitely be prepared to solve some tough problems and do math.

Interview Questions

• Q. If a mother wanted to get her newborn infant intoxicated from breastfeeding while drinking alcohol, how much alcohol would the mother have to drink and how much milk would the baby have to drink?   Answer Question

Senior Level Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific.

Interview

I applied online, and after a few weeks I was contacted for more information, including anticipated graduation date and transcripts. They also asked me to analyze a published journal article (which they sent) and to summarize my findings. They gave me a few weeks to do this. This was actually quite enjoyable, as it was an interesting question and the data were somewhat open ended. After sending these in I was scheduled for a video interview.

The interview was two hours long, during which I met with two groups of two people. After preliminary discussions of my research background, they asked a series of questions. They came in two varieties. First, let’s say we wanted to understand X/design something that could do X - what factors do you think would be important, and why? How would you go about getting/measuring/testing the required information? Second, estimate how many of X are there in Y? A standard Fermi problem, they wanted to see my reasoning. None of the questions required specialized knowledge, and they were presumably designed to see my problem solving skills. I found this process a great deal of fun.

The people were very friendly, and the work they described seemed very interesting. However, there were two things that gave me the impression that this job might not be the right one for me. First, they wanted someone who could start soon - within a month ideally, and didn’t anticipate having a job opening for someone who couldn’t start within that timeframe. However, they knew my anticipated graduation date (which was several months away) before they scheduled the interview, so I’m not sure why they bothered with the interview if there was no room for me. Aside from being slightly confusing, this gave me the impression that they were hiring to meet a specific demand, as opposed to ongoing demand. What would happen to me after that specific project ended? They were evasive when I asked when I would hear back about the job.

Second, there were strong hints that 40 hours a week was more of a minimum than an average, and that people who wanted to get promoted worked longer hours. Similarly, they said that promotion was contingent upon bringing in government contracts. Don’t get me wrong - it didn’t sound like I’d be worked to the bone, but I’m looking for a place with strong work/life balance, where 40 hours a week is the norm and I’m not judged on the money and contracts I bring in. So, this may be an upside for people who want to put in long hours and rise up the ladder quickly. But I should also note that I really appreciate their honesty about this. I don’t think I would prosper in that environment, so it’s best for both them and me that I knew this up front.

After receiving an offer from another company I withdrew my application from Gryphon.

Interview Questions

• I was asked not to provide specifics about the questions they asked.   Answer Question

Biochemistry Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific in February 2009.

Interview

Applied through Career Fair at my University. I was a junior and applying for a part time or summer job. Got a call and went over my resume and experiences, basically a phone interview. They said they would call me back if I made it to the next round and was called back a few weeks later. They told me to come in for an interview (they didn't tell me about the test they would give me).

Their office was in a smaller cubbyhole in the building. It seemed really relaxed, as there were exercise balls, the office pet, and couches around. I didn't get a tour of the place but from what I could tell, 50% of the place were smaller offices for the scientists.

I was in the HR-type person's office (she wasn't a real HR but a scientist who also had the responsibility as the HR) and she gave me a verbal exam- stuff pulled out of textbooks and thought provoking ones. The though provoking ones included both science-related ones and concept ones. An example is "how many drink umbrellas are there in the US." You verbally go through the thought process and she sees how you think, etc. After the test, I was brought to another scientist's office and talked with him. Nothing big, just described what the position consisted of, etc. He didn't interview me but explained things to me.

After that, I was brought back to the "HR's" office and it soon ended after that.

Interview Questions

• How many drink umbrellas are there in the US?   1 Answer

Science Consulting Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Takoma Park, MD

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gryphon Scientific (Takoma Park, MD) in March 2009.

Interview

I met them from a career fair and gave them my resume. I was given a call in a few days to schedule an interview. There are only a few people working at the firm and was a consulting firm for scientists. The job I applied for was mainly to help out the other employees (thus an intern) in their consulting through research on the topic and looking over journal articles. There was very little chance of doing actual lab work, so I was told. Their office in Takoma Park was very relaxed. Around 10 people at most, with a pet dog that would jump at you, making you feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• How many cocktail umbrellas are there in a given time in the United States?   1 Answer