Guardian News & Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.7

Health Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I was invited for an interview 2 weeks after applying. On arriving for my interview it soon became clear someone was already earmarked for the post and the interview was just a formality. I was kept waiting for 30 minutes, the interviewer (an editor) didn't know my name, had to go through all the applications/CVs in front of me to pull up my CV - essentially it was extremely unprofessional and they were unapologetic about it.
    I felt I performed well in the interview, had good rapport with the interviewer. However there was no follow up after the interview. Weeks later HR informed me I was unsuccessful and told me to contact the editor for feedback. I did so, but he ignored my email.

Interview Questions

• Why Guardian? Why this role? What skills do you have to offer?   Answer Question

Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

A brief interview with two head of's who are leading Data Engineering and Research, in lieu of Head of Analytics which has not been hired yet.
    They adjusted the Job Description days before my interview, so was a large pivot towards management experience.

Analytics questions were quite simple at this stage, some basic SQL questions, and some intermediate digital analytics/media questions.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2016.

Interview

One face to face interview with two people, was very friendly and relaxed, was more of a chat than a formal interview. However was quite disappointed with the recruitment, despite being assured I would hear back the same day with feedback as they wanted to wrap things up within the week, a week and a half later I still have not heard anything despite having sent an email. This put a negative spin on the overall experience, the sheer lack of follow up.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Interview

Straight from telephone interview to pairing test which was a bit odd. Companies would usually want a F2F interview but the Guardian seemed happy with just telephone then invited me in for pairing. If you're a developer it's worth noting they use Scala, and they're good at Scala. Don't think you can just do a couple of tutorials and then rock up to the coding test expecting to blag Scala, you'll mess it up like I did ;)

Also they don't seem to like chatting, they want you to turn up, do it quickly, then let them do the talking.

People Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Had no problem with the interview process, which comprised a two-person panel - it was the salary. It's essentially a professional part time role administrative role (18 hours). You're expected to be in the office every day, Mon-Fri and be flexible enough to report for duty when required, (e.g. in the afternoon, instead of mornings). So you'd have to pay for a weekly travel card to work just a few hours daily, which means it would be difficult to find another part time job with unfixed hours to make up a living London wage. Who can live on £15,000 a year in London?. The Guardian champions the oppressed; pity its salaries don't match its rhetoric.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritise your workload?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone call followed by pair programming followed by a chat with some developers (on separate days).

After being told that I would get a reply within 4-5 days, I chased a few weeks later and was told that although I was an "excellent" candidate, the position had been closed due to a restructure.

Interview Questions

• Explain the entire process of an HTTP request.   1 Answer

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a really friendly interview - very nice environment. It was very informal, and they had 4 sections from which you had to answer questions. It was the usual teamwork, example of experience, why you want to work for the company and a software question. I loved the interview, and absolutely loved the team. It was an incredibly pleasant time, and it was an incredible experience. The co-coding challenge was difficult, but it was an interesting and exciting experience. They send you helpful feedback, and you hear the very next day.

Na Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)).

Interview

An hour long face-to-face interview at the Guardian in London with two members of the team, including the head of the department. Interviewers made me feel at ease. Questions weren't difficult. The unfortunate bit about the whole experience was the interaction with the recruiting team. Took three weeks to get back to me with an answer, but only after follow-up email. One week later, get another call from the same HR manager double-checking to see if he/she had called me the week before with the result...

Interview Questions

• Most were behavioural questions. How would you react, what would you do if facing x challenge, etc   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

One 30 minutes technical phone screening, 1 Hour "pair" programming test (mostly used to see your ability in explaining technical topics) and a 1 hour discussion with two other developers.

The interview itself wasn't difficult: the phone screening was very fast paced and covered a lot of technical topics, and the programming session just required to partially implement the Game of Life, but if they decide that there's not a "culture fit", you will be left completely in the dark and won't receive any feedback at all.

Interview Questions

• You have a distributed service, and you see that HTTP requests are being served slowly. How do you determine if your application/service is IO/Memory/CPU bound?   Answer Question

NA Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in August 2015.

Interview

Flexible to accommodate my first interview around my current job, gave me an early morning one to meet initially. First interview was fairly relaxed with two members of the team, including the head. Second interview was again changed to accommodate my diary. Second interview was with the same two plus an external consultant. Much more detailed and interesting conversation. However, now two weeks after the second interview and haven't heard a word since! All good but they have majorly fallen at the last hurdle. Fine not getting the job but it would be decent of them to let me know and offer feedback