Guardian News & Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Guardian News & Media Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2017

2.6

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2015.

Interview

So far just a phone interview, but she was very nice and eager to have me come in for an in-person interview. She asked about my experience and interest in the company and also told me briefly about the job description, growth potential and training opportunities, since this will be an entry-level role for me.

Communications/Press Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied through a temp staffing agency, so had a brief meeting with the recruiter. Met for an interview with one of my line managers, which lasted around 30 minutes. It was a brief overview of my CV, why I wanted to work for the Guardian and some straightforward competency questions. The interviewer was really warm and got a really good vibe about what it would be like working on the team.

Then I had a phone interview 2 days later with the other line manager, this was a bread overview of my CV again and some quick competency questions. Another very pleasant interview, which really made me feel confident in the role.

Overall, I found that the questions they asked me were useful and interesting really allowing me to show my passion for the role.

I heard back a week after.

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you think The Guardian faces?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle an urgent press enquiry regarding a crisis   Answer Question

Health Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I was invited for an interview 2 weeks after applying. On arriving for my interview it soon became clear someone was already earmarked for the post and the interview was just a formality. I was kept waiting for 30 minutes, the interviewer (an editor) didn't know my name, had to go through all the applications/CVs in front of me to pull up my CV - essentially it was extremely unprofessional and they were unapologetic about it.
    I felt I performed well in the interview, had good rapport with the interviewer. However there was no follow up after the interview. Weeks later HR informed me I was unsuccessful and told me to contact the editor for feedback. I did so, but he ignored my email.

Interview Questions

• Why Guardian? Why this role? What skills do you have to offer?   Answer Question

Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

A brief interview with two head of's who are leading Data Engineering and Research, in lieu of Head of Analytics which has not been hired yet.
    They adjusted the Job Description days before my interview, so was a large pivot towards management experience.

Analytics questions were quite simple at this stage, some basic SQL questions, and some intermediate digital analytics/media questions.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2016.

Interview

One face to face interview with two people, was very friendly and relaxed, was more of a chat than a formal interview. However was quite disappointed with the recruitment, despite being assured I would hear back the same day with feedback as they wanted to wrap things up within the week, a week and a half later I still have not heard anything despite having sent an email. This put a negative spin on the overall experience, the sheer lack of follow up.

Audience Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Consisted of 3 interviews.

First one was a phone conversation, 30min max, about my interests.
    Second one was a one hour interview where I had to prepare a report based in a database they sent me before, nothing too difficult. But it was a great opportunity to show my skills.
    The third interview was just a final round, about my analytical skill. Very tough questions, but I did quite well.

Unfortunately, when I went there for the final interview, I realized that they had already made a decision to go with another candidate before even interviewing me - very unprofessional. However, they really liked me and they have forwarded my application to another position (which was actually a better fit for me).

I finally had a fourth interview, for this other position. One week later they called me offering a position. I asked for 20% more on the salary and got it.

Overall, very good.

Interview Questions

• What makes a good metric?
      Questions about the Seven Bridges of Konigsberg   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Interview

Straight from telephone interview to pairing test which was a bit odd. Companies would usually want a F2F interview but the Guardian seemed happy with just telephone then invited me in for pairing. If you're a developer it's worth noting they use Scala, and they're good at Scala. Don't think you can just do a couple of tutorials and then rock up to the coding test expecting to blag Scala, you'll mess it up like I did ;)

Also they don't seem to like chatting, they want you to turn up, do it quickly, then let them do the talking.

People Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Had no problem with the interview process, which comprised a two-person panel - it was the salary. It's essentially a professional part time role administrative role (18 hours). You're expected to be in the office every day, Mon-Fri and be flexible enough to report for duty when required, (e.g. in the afternoon, instead of mornings). So you'd have to pay for a weekly travel card to work just a few hours daily, which means it would be difficult to find another part time job with unfixed hours to make up a living London wage. Who can live on £15,000 a year in London?. The Guardian champions the oppressed; pity its salaries don't match its rhetoric.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritise your workload?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone call followed by pair programming followed by a chat with some developers (on separate days).

After being told that I would get a reply within 4-5 days, I chased a few weeks later and was told that although I was an "excellent" candidate, the position had been closed due to a restructure.

Interview Questions

• Explain the entire process of an HTTP request.   1 Answer

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a really friendly interview - very nice environment. It was very informal, and they had 4 sections from which you had to answer questions. It was the usual teamwork, example of experience, why you want to work for the company and a software question. I loved the interview, and absolutely loved the team. It was an incredibly pleasant time, and it was an incredible experience. The co-coding challenge was difficult, but it was an interesting and exciting experience. They send you helpful feedback, and you hear the very next day.