Guardian News & Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Guardian News & Media Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in November 2013.

Interview

There was a telephone interview and then three face to face interviews. One with the hiring manager and then two more technical interviews with the people that I was going to manager

Interview Questions

• describe your previous role   1 Answer

Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the GMG job portal. The application was simple - covering letter, CV and question about why the role appealed. I heard back within 2 weeks, with an email inviting me to interview 5 days later. As part of my prep I did lots of research into the history and values of the Group - there is a lot of information on their website.

I was interviewed by the potential manager and a colleague (no HR rep) and there was little/no structure to the questioning. They told me about the team and they then asked me to tell them about my background, after which the main interviewer seemed to draw the conclusion that I might be expecting "more from the role than it can give". Despite my reassurance that I understood what the role involved, the interviewer spent 5 minutes of my hour in there insisting that he didn't want me to be disappointed, and "not that I'm suggesting you'd expect it, but this wouldn't be a stepping stone to another role any time soon". I almost asked if he thought it was worth me continuing the interview, as this was before they had actually asked me a single specific question about why I wanted the role and what I thought I could bring to it. Perhaps it was his way of telling me I was over-qualified but it felt like I had been judged quite early on, and it was quite off-putting for the remaining 45 minutes I spent in the interview.

Conversely I felt I got on well with both interviewers, but I expected from very early on, that I would not be invited back for the second round. Quite frustrating as I didn't feel that any of their questions really tested my ability or the appeal of the role to me. I think the interview would have benefited from either having someone from HR present or even a script, as it completely depended on the ability of the interviewer to ask the right questions. He didn't seem to know where to go. At one point, as there were no questions forthcoming, I asked "would it be useful if I told you about my experience with the application I'd be working on?".

It still seems like a great organisation to work for however I was put off by this particular manager. One other thing was that when I asked about a couple of the responsibilities, the interviewers weren't aware that they were on the job specification, and said that it was incorrect.

I got the confirmation that I wasn't successful within 2 weeks of the interview.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't one, what made the interview tricky was the lack of open-ended questions and structure.   Answer Question

Communications/Press Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied through a temp staffing agency, so had a brief meeting with the recruiter. Met for an interview with one of my line managers, which lasted around 30 minutes. It was a brief overview of my CV, why I wanted to work for the Guardian and some straightforward competency questions. The interviewer was really warm and got a really good vibe about what it would be like working on the team.

Then I had a phone interview 2 days later with the other line manager, this was a bread overview of my CV again and some quick competency questions. Another very pleasant interview, which really made me feel confident in the role.

Overall, I found that the questions they asked me were useful and interesting really allowing me to show my passion for the role.

I heard back a week after.

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you think The Guardian faces?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle an urgent press enquiry regarding a crisis   Answer Question

Analytics Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

A brief interview with two head of's who are leading Data Engineering and Research, in lieu of Head of Analytics which has not been hired yet.
    They adjusted the Job Description days before my interview, so was a large pivot towards management experience.

Analytics questions were quite simple at this stage, some basic SQL questions, and some intermediate digital analytics/media questions.

Health Reporter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I was invited for an interview 2 weeks after applying. On arriving for my interview it soon became clear someone was already earmarked for the post and the interview was just a formality. I was kept waiting for 30 minutes, the interviewer (an editor) didn't know my name, had to go through all the applications/CVs in front of me to pull up my CV - essentially it was extremely unprofessional and they were unapologetic about it.
    I felt I performed well in the interview, had good rapport with the interviewer. However there was no follow up after the interview. Weeks later HR informed me I was unsuccessful and told me to contact the editor for feedback. I did so, but he ignored my email.

Interview Questions

• Why Guardian? Why this role? What skills do you have to offer?   Answer Question

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

I had a telephone interview which was extremely short and covered only the basic screening questions. This was followed approx 1 week later by a 2 on 1 interview with members of the team. This was more in depth but was not overly difficult. I enjoyed the process and would recommend people apply here as it was extremely pleasant.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have of evaluating data   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

In order to get the interview I first had to complete a form online which contained 4 sections. I forget exactly what the sections were but they were pretty generic "why do you want to work for us", "give us an example of a time you showed leadership" etc. Nothing technical.

Once you go for the interview at their office in London, you are greeted by a friendly member of staff who gives you a very quick tour of the office floors. Then you are taken to one of their software engineers who gives you the programming task. You can complete this task in either Java or C++ and the software engineer is working with you and helping you. The task I had to complete was a small 'game' called Life. In this game you use a 2 dimensional array as the board and the state of a cell (I think the states were alive, dead or infected) is supposed to create a knock on effect for the rest of the cells. So if a cell is next to an infected cell, it becomes infected also and will die within 3 turns (or something like that). You basically just need to create a function that checks every single element of the array to see what the state of the surrounding cells are and change the state of the current cell accordingly (loop over every element in the array and check the elements above, below, left and right of it).

After that, you get an interview with 2 senior staff members. They basically just ask you for examples of times you have overcome a challenge, had to work with a difficult employee etc. Also they ask the standard 'why do you want to work for us' etc.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a time you have worked as part of a team. How was the experience for you?   Answer Question

Audience Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Consisted of 3 interviews.

First one was a phone conversation, 30min max, about my interests.
    Second one was a one hour interview where I had to prepare a report based in a database they sent me before, nothing too difficult. But it was a great opportunity to show my skills.
    The third interview was just a final round, about my analytical skill. Very tough questions, but I did quite well.

Unfortunately, when I went there for the final interview, I realized that they had already made a decision to go with another candidate before even interviewing me - very unprofessional. However, they really liked me and they have forwarded my application to another position (which was actually a better fit for me).

I finally had a fourth interview, for this other position. One week later they called me offering a position. I asked for 20% more on the salary and got it.

Overall, very good.

Interview Questions

• What makes a good metric?
      Questions about the Seven Bridges of Konigsberg   Answer Question

People Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Had no problem with the interview process, which comprised a two-person panel - it was the salary. It's essentially a professional part time role administrative role (18 hours). You're expected to be in the office every day, Mon-Fri and be flexible enough to report for duty when required, (e.g. in the afternoon, instead of mornings). So you'd have to pay for a weekly travel card to work just a few hours daily, which means it would be difficult to find another part time job with unfixed hours to make up a living London wage. Who can live on £15,000 a year in London?. The Guardian champions the oppressed; pity its salaries don't match its rhetoric.

Interview Questions

• How do you prioritise your workload?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone call followed by pair programming followed by a chat with some developers (on separate days).

After being told that I would get a reply within 4-5 days, I chased a few weeks later and was told that although I was an "excellent" candidate, the position had been closed due to a restructure.

Interview Questions

• Explain the entire process of an HTTP request.   1 Answer