Guardian News & Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Guardian News & Media Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2017

2.6

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Interview

I applied via the online form and then was informed about two to three in fact maybe four or five weeks later that I would have a telephone interview. The line was really bad, but I could just about hear them. There were two people on the line - the interviewer and a recent graduate employee. There was plenty of opportunity to ask questions and I promptly received feedback afterwards.

Interview Questions

• How have you worked together on a technical project with someone. What did you disagree on and how did you resolve it.   Answer Question

N/A Interview

Interview

Two stage interview. First with the head of department and senior management team member plus HR representative. The second was opened to mid level management. The first was in a chaotic yet formal interview room setting, the second in a more relaxed, convival meeting room setting. Dress codes were varied, I wore a suit, they had cut off jeans and worn t-shirts!

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate with HR regard final salary.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Interview

Straight from telephone interview to pairing test which was a bit odd. Companies would usually want a F2F interview but the Guardian seemed happy with just telephone then invited me in for pairing. If you're a developer it's worth noting they use Scala, and they're good at Scala. Don't think you can just do a couple of tutorials and then rock up to the coding test expecting to blag Scala, you'll mess it up like I did ;)

Also they don't seem to like chatting, they want you to turn up, do it quickly, then let them do the talking.

User Help Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied for the position from the guardian job site . 4 weeks after applying I received an automated response from GNM HR department asking me to use their online tool to set up the interview.
    I was interviewed within 2 weeks by the hiring manager and other team member. The interview was very relaxed and I wasn't asked any difficult questions.
    I received a response after 3 weeks stating that I wasn't successful. I contacted the hiring manager for feedback and she called me back to let me know that they simply d found an applicant that was a better match in terms of technical skills.

Interview Questions

• Have you have any experience in launching and supporting mobile apps?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Port of Spain, Saint George (Trinidad and Tobago)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (Port of Spain, Saint George (Trinidad and Tobago)) in February 2014.

Interview

It was a simple interview. I was asked how many years I have in sales. I was told the salary plus commission and time at work and when it ended and my expected target to be made each month.

Interview Questions

• How many years I have in sales.   1 Answer

Negotiation

it was very simple because of my experience I knew how to negotiate on my behalf

Freelance Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

Fairly short process. I was approached via an employee referral after writing a series of stories that matched the kind of articles that they wanted to offer in a new sponsored section, paid-for by advertisers.

It was fairly straightforward then. I had a short interview with someone from the sponsored team and another from editorial – although it felt as though sponsored was in charge. I was offered the job the same job and started after a brief salary negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Fairly typical questions: Why do you think you're right for the role, do you think you can balance this with other commitments, what ideas do you have for the section?   Answer Question

Hotdesk Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

interviewed in corridor

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media in September 2015.

Interview

So far just a phone interview, but she was very nice and eager to have me come in for an in-person interview. She asked about my experience and interest in the company and also told me briefly about the job description, growth potential and training opportunities, since this will be an entry-level role for me.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

One 30 minutes technical phone screening, 1 Hour "pair" programming test (mostly used to see your ability in explaining technical topics) and a 1 hour discussion with two other developers.

The interview itself wasn't difficult: the phone screening was very fast paced and covered a lot of technical topics, and the programming session just required to partially implement the Game of Life, but if they decide that there's not a "culture fit", you will be left completely in the dark and won't receive any feedback at all.

Interview Questions

• You have a distributed service, and you see that HTTP requests are being served slowly. How do you determine if your application/service is IO/Memory/CPU bound?   Answer Question

Na Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guardian News & Media (London, England (UK)).

Interview

An hour long face-to-face interview at the Guardian in London with two members of the team, including the head of the department. Interviewers made me feel at ease. Questions weren't difficult. The unfortunate bit about the whole experience was the interaction with the recruiting team. Took three weeks to get back to me with an answer, but only after follow-up email. One week later, get another call from the same HR manager double-checking to see if he/she had called me the week before with the result...

Interview Questions

• Most were behavioural questions. How would you react, what would you do if facing x challenge, etc   Answer Question