Guidewire Interview Questions in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

3.2

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

1) Applied for the job on their corporate website (managed by Jobvite)
    2) One week later, I received an email from HR generalist indicating that HR representative would like to schedule a phone call
    3) Received phone call from HR representative explaining the company and the role and that the hiring manager picked out my profile personally for an interview
    4) Scheduled a phone interview with hiring manager for later that week
    5) Phone interview with hiring manager went great
    6) Received an email from the HR rep with "good news" that the team would like to have an on-site interview that would last 4 hours
    7) Attended interview on-site and met with an awesome group of people. I think the process could have been shortened if they chose to do a panel/group style interview because the questions asked by each individual were identical.
    8) I left with the impression that everything was positive and I had a positive impression of them
    9) I receive a rushed one-liner email from the HR rep the next day (not even proof-read from what I could tell with the spelling mistakes) saying they won't be moving forward without further explanation
    10) I kindly request more information as I'd like a plausible explanation for the result.
    11) HR representative asks if I have time to take a phone call the next day. I do.
    12) No call.

Dear Guidewire,

You've got a great company from what I can see on your Glassdoor profile. Almost a 5-star rating from nearly 500-ish respondents. I'm sure that your culture internally is great -- as I was able to witness firsthand through the on-site interviews with your staff. But I would like to suggest an improvement in the hiring flow -- especially for candidates who don't make the cut.

1) Be honest and open with them -- tell them the reason why you won't be moving forward with them. If they're asking too much money, if they aren't going to be a good fit for the team or the manager, if they're under-experienced, if they're over-experienced, tell them. We're always looking to improve myself, and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2) Honor your commitments. If you say you're going to call someone the next day, call them.

3) Treat every interviewee as a potential "ambassador" for the job. There have been times in the past where I've interviewed with companies, been passed-over, but was left with an understanding of why I wasn't chosen in an honest and positive way. And you know what? I actually recommended that company to a former colleague and former coworker... because if they treated me, someone they wouldn't hire, with respect then I imagine they'd treat someone they'd hire even better.

Interview Questions

• As a team lead, explain how you'd deal with a co-worker who wasn't pulling their weight on the team.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Had a series of conversations with a recruiter, first they steered me toward a role I didn't apply to I agreed to talk to the HM about it even though it wasn't what I was looking for. The recruiter then failed to follow up in the timeframe they said they would (thus I moved on assuming I wasn't a fit). After four weeks, they reached out again trying to set up interview for different role (which they did not clarify, I had to ask what role they were trying to set up an interview for), after having the role clarified, I again agreed to chat with the HM, but again, there was no follow up.

I'm really surprised and turned off by the flaky communication, especially for a highly lauded company such as Guidewire. Why are you reaching out to candidates, initiating conversations, just to disappear - even if a candidate is not a fit, the role got filled, etc, simply communicate that, especially when you initiated contact.

Interview Questions

• Would you be interested in a phone screen with "so and so"?   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied for the position QA (Gray box) Engineer online and i was contacted by the recruiter. He was very good and gave me a nice introduction over the phone and ran me thro the interview process. He set up a phone interview with the hiring manager the next day. The phone interview went fine.

The Hiring manager asked me about my current job and why am i looking for other opportunities.

Then i was called for the inperson interview the following week. The first one hour session went well where they asked me few questions on Java basics. A couple of problems were given and i was asked to write programs to solve those. The interviewer verified the programs that i wrote and he suggested me other alternatives to write the programs as well.

In the next hour,another QA automation person in the company came and showed me a couple of code snippets from their automation scripts, and he asked to automate few actions in their website.
    I struggled in the beginning since they were using GOSU , it is their own programming language and there are some difference in the in the way of writing the regular selenium automation scripts with Java.
    He helped me and answered all my questions and finally i wrote a code snippet and i was able to execute it.

The 3rd hour was with the hiring manager. This was all theatrical were they asked some questions on my current project, the kind of work i do etc. I was given an given a scenario and was asked to come up with the test cases to test that, this round didnt go well and the interviewer expected me to tell a couple of cases that i didnt think about.

Overall, it was a good experience and i felt the work atmosphere was very good.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Interview was terminated prematurely by one interviewer. No reasons given.
    Had positive impression of first interviewer, second interviewer was terrible:
    a. full of himself
    b. good talker but terrible listener (talks all the time, and cut you off while you're answering questions, or jump to conclusions as soon as you speak 2 sentences)
    c. rude and cocky

Would not work there even if given an offer if the position involve working with such a person.

Interview Questions

• have you write code to implement an interface to compute price for purchasing a cup of coffee.   Answer Question
    • ask you how you do testing of your code   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough with multiple rounds. It started off with a call from HR to find if I was the right fit for Guidewire's culture. Then a phone interview with someone in a similar role. After the phone round, there were three onsite interviews. The first onsite round had 1:1 interview with 3 people in similar roles. The second round has 1:1 interview with 3 people from the team and the third round was with senior management.

The interviews revolved around questions very relevant to the role, more hands-on questions...no irrelevant questions which I got from other companies I interviewed at. The interview experience was very positive to make me more interested in joining the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offered better than expected and accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

First I've got a written test at home to implement function that validates user input for their Wordy game. I did it over weekend and submitted to them. Then I was invited for on-site interview. On-site interview took 4 hours. First hour I was asked to write function that calculates price of the coffee in the coffee machine depending on size (small, large ...) and selection of condiments (sugar, milk, ...). You have to program it with interviewer sitting behind your back. Second hour - the same problem just conditions become slightly more complex - now price of condiments depends on the coffee cup size. Third hour I was asked to fix some issues in their artificially incorrect implementation of Set class. All this time you practically don't communicate with interviewers they just sit behind your back and watch at what you are doing. Last hour I've talked with project manager. It was free flowing discussion about my experience.

At the end I didn't get an offer even so I don't exactly understand the reason. I was told that team was satisfied with my technical skills but didn't feel that I was exited (eager) enough to work for their company. Which sounds really weird to me.

Interview Questions

• Write the function that calculates price of the cup of coffee where price of the condiments depends on size of the coffee cup. For example milk cost 10 c for small cup 15 c for medium and 20 c for large   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

Here’s my review of one of the four interviewers at Guidewire. His primary issue was that he had only one solution in mind, which was syntactically and semantically broken, and yet dogmatically tried to push me towards it the entire time. It went flawlessly with the other three interviewers that day, both in terms of their interviewing style and my performance, which makes this all the more painful a loss.

The scenario is that a customer orders a coffee from a vending machine by selecting a choice from several categories, such as size, flavor, and creamer type. Given their choices, we then have to figure out the cost. The twist is that the various creamer choices cost slightly more if you get an extra-large coffee. For example, if you choose milk as your creamer, it’s normally 50 cents; but, if you also choose XL as your size, the milk costs 60 cents.

The interviewer’s solution (in Java) was to have an enum for each category: Size, Creamer, Flavor, etc. Each choice in a category is one of the instances of the enum: “enum Creamer{ NONE, MILK, HALF_N_HALF }”. Rather than have each enum instance store its normal cost as an int, we cleverly set the int value of the instances to the cost of the choice: “enum Creamer{ NONE = 0, MILK = 50, HALF_N_HALF = 45 }”. To deal with the fact that creamer cost depends on the size you choose, we add the method getPriceGivenSize(Size). If later on there are new dependencies between categories (I asked him this “what if”.), we just add methods, such as getPriceGivenFlavor(Flavor), getPriceGivenSizeAndFlavor(Size, Flavor), etc. The contents of these methods are simply switch statements which return a value based on the Size/Flavor passed in.

So here’s my critique of his solution. First off, it’s entirely hard-coded; to add a new choice/category, change a cost, or add/change a dependency between categories, you have to directly edit the Java code that runs the vending machine, recompile and reinstall it. How do we know when to use the “int value” of the enum to get the cost of a choice, versus calling getPriceGivenSize(), or even getPriceGivenSizeAndFlavor()? In other words, there’s no real way for the client to describe the business logic (costs and dependencies), and no way to use that business logic when figuring the cost to charge the customer. The idea of setting the enum instances to their cost is unsound because it breaks as soon as we have two choices that cost the same amount. Also, the interviewer was thinking of a syntax, “MILK = 50”, which is only available in C/C++, not Java. Conversely, enum methods aren’t available to enums in C/C++.

His confusion about enums is ironic. After giving me several hints to try to push me towards his expected solution, he suspected I simply didn’t know enough about enums to think of his “MILK = 50” solution. So he had me look up information about Java enums on the internet during the interview. I mildly protested that I already knew plenty about Java enums and their use, which isn’t much really, but he still had me go through the motions.

Despite the constant misdirection, I came up with a perfectly good solution and presented it to him. He admitted that he didn’t understand my solution and spent the next 10 minutes at the board describing his solution, as I fully detail above. We’re running out of time at this point. I patiently waited for him to finish his presentation and then reflected back my understanding of his solution to him so he knew that I got it. I then asked to try presenting my solution to him again on the board. After he started to get it, I had to deflect a couple straw-man arguments against it, and then finally, he seemed to “understand” the solution. He walked out of the room to get the next guy without saying bye or shaking my hand. He seemed upset.

Interview Questions

• Support dependent costs between categories. Please reference the question mentioned above.   1 Answer

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

The interviewers were friendly and helped me to overcome nervousness.
    Hiring manager was honest in describing the role / responsibilities to me.
    He was good at telling both positive and negative aspects of being at guidewire.

I was given a decision 1 day after my in-person interviews.
    Interview questions were similar to the questions described in rest on the interview feedbacks.

Interview Questions

• Automation of a UI test for a web page   2 Answers

Curriculum Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

The actual interview was very professional. However there was an unnecessary wait after interview. I knew through a friend that the decision had been taken not to make me an offer a full week before the HR rep contacted me with the news.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a goal and an objective?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

After a short phone screen, I had a four hours of interviewing. The interviewers wanted to see if we could work well together. Other companies wanted me to prove that I was good enough to work there. The difference: Guidewire respects their candidates. Interviews focused on writing clean, maintainable code, communication and problem decomposition. Other companies tested me on trivia or implementing algorithms that I doubt someone in the position in question would need to implement. In addition to being smart, Guidewire wants to know the quality of the code you produce and what it would be like to work with you to solve problems. This told me that I'd like working with other at Guidewire, and I was right.