Guidewire Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 30, 2017

2.9

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Unethical, unprofessional cheap shop. Worst ever experience in last 16 years. Got phone call from manager without even any prior notification from recruiter, asked him to reschedule and 1 week later recruiter got the interview scheduled, had the discussion with the hiring manager and two days later got the feedback that i did very well in the phone round and they would like me to come onsite and second recruiter will take it forward. That recruiter never came back for 2-3 weeks, when i contacted them the recruiter was on vacation and another one said oh your salary is on higher side and we can't match it, this was after 5 weeks of process initiation, finally after 2 weeks got the opportunity to go there, two people come to the room and explain that i have to code and make sure the UT passes but their IntelliJ is behaving weird and it took them 35 minutes to fix it :-), then i had one more similar round and did good and then the recruiter came and said looks like it is not going well so we would like to conclude.

This is not a software company and looks like they don't have many employees as no logical person can work here.

Pathetic company, please don't waste your time.

Interview Questions

• Chess game object model. How to implement Hashtable, One silly poker card game code written super bad and you have to complete.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Guidewire

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA).

Interview

Process is good and quick. I taked to recruiter Marissa and Victoria and within a week I was at onaite for interview. Onsite scrutiny was more interesting wherein i was asked either write or fix code such that tests pass.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

First would be a Phone Interview.
    He started with saying it would be 40 mins, but ended the call in 20 (As I could not do well I guess).
    Once this round is done, they will call for 1-1

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

One technical telephonic + 4 onsite (3 technical + 1 behavior). The interview was good and mainly focused on Data Structures, Algorithms and Design. There is no blackboard coding, but you will asked to code in the system and the performance of the code will be evaluated

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guidewire.

Interview

Got a phone interview, most of the questions are core java related. Did well, but not selected. Interviewer was so humble and greeted well. Explained the company policies and focus and also working environment.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guidewire in September 2014.

Interview

it was little weird interview, interviewer asked tell me about yourself then he cut me off halfway which was not more than 30 seconds, then is said he does not have time for technical interview so he lets start technical interview.

1) he asked how you design chess game. I identified all the related class like
    Player, game, pieces, board etc
    2) which hashing technique is best?
    I told they are three
    1) linear probing
    2)Quadratic probing
    3)Double hashing.

We had discussion on each of the technique and pros and cons.

I got email after couple of days that I was not cleared. Glad anyway I offered in other company who gave more than guidewire compensation discussion with HR

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Guidewire in September 2012.

Interview

Applied through linkedin and they were quick to respond. There wasn't any phone screen. They sent a coding exercise with about a week's time to complete.

They were quick to respond back in about a week with their feedback. However did not provide much details about their decision.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

After a short phone screen, I had a four hours of interviewing. The interviewers wanted to see if we could work well together. Other companies wanted me to prove that I was good enough to work there. The difference: Guidewire respects their candidates. Interviews focused on writing clean, maintainable code, communication and problem decomposition. Other companies tested me on trivia or implementing algorithms that I doubt someone in the position in question would need to implement. In addition to being smart, Guidewire wants to know the quality of the code you produce and what it would be like to work with you to solve problems. This told me that I'd like working with other at Guidewire, and I was right.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I was called for an Interview for a Senior Software Engineer Applications position.
    The interview lasted 4 hours.

First hour I was asked to calculate price of a cofee. You can chose the cofee and add additional items like milk creamer etc.

Second Hour same problem but now cost of extra items depends on the size of the cup.

Third hour i was asked to fix issues in an artificially badly written Set class.

Fourth hour was a general discussion with the Project manager.

All interviewers were very good. Treated me with respect. All of them seem to be good technically.

i received a call from HR next day that i was rejected. Which i appreciate, since many companies dont call if you are rejected.

They also gave me the reason of my rejection saying i had over engineered the cofee vendor and i took around 1 hour and 50 mins to solve the first problem. They expected me to solve it sooner.

On the Set Class i knew i couldnt identify problems immidietely so i knew i wont get through.

Overall very good experience no regrets even though i got rejected. This is a good company to work for !

Interview Questions

• I was asked to identify problem in artificiallly incorrect class   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guidewire (San Mateo, CA) in December 2010.

Interview

First I've got a written test at home to implement function that validates user input for their Wordy game. I did it over weekend and submitted to them. Then I was invited for on-site interview. On-site interview took 4 hours. First hour I was asked to write function that calculates price of the coffee in the coffee machine depending on size (small, large ...) and selection of condiments (sugar, milk, ...). You have to program it with interviewer sitting behind your back. Second hour - the same problem just conditions become slightly more complex - now price of condiments depends on the coffee cup size. Third hour I was asked to fix some issues in their artificially incorrect implementation of Set class. All this time you practically don't communicate with interviewers they just sit behind your back and watch at what you are doing. Last hour I've talked with project manager. It was free flowing discussion about my experience.

At the end I didn't get an offer even so I don't exactly understand the reason. I was told that team was satisfied with my technical skills but didn't feel that I was exited (eager) enough to work for their company. Which sounds really weird to me.

Interview Questions

• Write the function that calculates price of the cup of coffee where price of the condiments depends on size of the coffee cup. For example milk cost 10 c for small cup 15 c for medium and 20 c for large   5 Answers