Guidewire User Interface Architect Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

User Interface Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Guidewire (Foster City, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager. Discussed the role, needs and expectations. I expressed concern with a certain poor quality UI toolkit they were using. They indicated they needed someone with my expert front-end experience to help them remove it from their environment. Felt there was good fit and proceeded with an onsite.

Onsite went very well. Some technical screening, but all screeners quickly realized that my expertise went well beyond their own. Met with a product manager, development director, and then closed with the hiring manager. Everything seemed positive except slight concern during a tour of the work areas. Most employees were packed shoulder to should in boiler room work area with no personal space at all. I use the term boiler room to contrast from a properly designed, agile open workspace.

Upon arriving home I received an email form the recruiter stating that "everything was positive, and they were going to proceed with an offer". He asked me what my current salary, bonus, RSUs were. I gave him the number which were in the market range for my expertise and experience.

Three days later, I receive a second email from the recruiter stating that "things have changed" and something to the effect that the hiring manager thought about giving me an offer as a senior developer so I could "prove" myself for six months, but since I was unwilling to work with the UI toolkit that I was supposedly supposed to help them get rid of they were rescinding the offer that they were going to move forward with 3 days earlier.

My perception of this process and company was that 1) this was clearly a bait-and-switch attempt to get an overqualified UI architect into a lesser senior engineer role for less money. 2) they are no where near willing to pay market level for the expertise they are expecting to get.

Interview Questions