Guitar Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 8, 2017

1.9

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Relaxed. If you are a good fit for the job the interview will go very smooth. Just be yourself. You will be selling products to customers so you better be able to sell yourself and be likable. Don't act like an idiot.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in the music industry?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

I was an Assistant Manager at one of the Guitar Center stores when a position opened at corporate for which I was recommended by many people. I was told that the job was mine for the taking - I simply had to jump through the hoops of the interviews. Upon arriving at headquarters, the person interviewing me - who would be my boss - proceeded to immediately start talking down to me and began insulting my store's manager. I could not see myself working for this jackass. Upon returning home, to my amazement jackass called me with an offer - which was half the amount he had initially offered before I flew out for the interview. Worst experience of my life.

Interview Questions

• Why do you and the rest of your staff suck at promoting our events?   Answer Question

The offer was pathetically low - and my life would have completely sucked working for such a jackass.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter
    Then phone interview with HR Mgr
    Then interview with Category Manager in person for 1 hour
    Then come back and interview with VP OF Dept for 1 hour

Interview Questions

• What would you do individually or collectively to grow your categories?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Gave me what I asked for.

Enterprise Social Media Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had a phone screening interview with their HR department. The process to get a screening interview took 2 weeks and it takes another week before they call if they are interested in an in person interview. My best advice is to be prepared. I thought they would be asking general interview questions since it's just with the HR department, but they had very specific questions and the call lasted about 30 to 45 mins. I also thought the job description was a little misleading. The main focus of this position will be to review, analyze and create reports of their social media marketing campaigns. It seems like they are looking for an analyst rather than a specialist.

Interview Questions

• How would your ideal supervisor's management style be?   Answer Question
    • What is the process you go through to create social media content?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Syracuse, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

The manager and another man (who i assume to be the assistant manager asked a few questions about effects pedals, like what type of effects are there? what are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitars?, name a few effects pedals that you are familiar with. Other than that not much was asked. The rest of things that were asked were vague and hard to answer. I assumed that a position would be offered to me on the spot like they usually are at this store (i spoke with several other employees previous to the interview and all of them returned that they were offered the assumed position at the end of the interview.) However, they said they'd call back in 5-7 days which is understandable. The technical questions were easy but the vague questions were hard to answer...

Interview Questions

• What are some brands of pedals that you are familiar with?   1 Answer
    • What are the typical string sizes for electric and acoustic guitar?   1 Answer

Recording Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mays Landing, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Mays Landing, NJ) in January 2009.

Interview

very poor

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Went online, applied for four positions at two different locations. Called the store managers to follow up. Scheduled an interview. Was fairly laid back. Didn't feel pressured. They were pretty honest about what the job was like, although they did exaggerate the pay and commission to make it seem like you can make a descent living there.

Interview Questions

• Explain the differences between different series of guitars of the same manufacturer and model (for example, the differences between a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Custom, Studio, Traditional, Classic, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Hendersonville, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

I met the Interviewer at a hotel because they were opening a location that had not been fully opened yet and he and I talked for about 15-20 minutes. Overall I would say it was more casual in nature and a judgement of my personality rather than qualifications that is typically taken care of by the online resume.

Part Time Guitar Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Online screen (easy if you have common sense) followed by group interview followed by in person 1 on 1 with the store manager. Group interviews can range from 5-15 people with a manager asking everyone the same question. 1 on 1 was pretty long and in depth. They are looking for good customer service skills and a willingness to learn. Product knowledge is good but secondary to attitude.

Interview Questions

• "Sell me this stapler"   1 Answer
    • Name some high end brands of acoustic guitars   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I was out of town so the manager on duty s nice enough to conduct a phone interview instead of the traditional face to face. The management team was very personable and seemed up hiring me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Slow and very unprofessional. Interviewed in groups of 5+ in small room. Interviewer didn't look up at us at all, just felt like he wanted to get it over with. I applied online and didn't get a response till weeks later. I still think guitar center is the best way to go for musician but their interview process was horrible.