Guitar Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 29, 2017

1.9

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Relaxed. If you are a good fit for the job the interview will go very smooth. Just be yourself. You will be selling products to customers so you better be able to sell yourself and be likable. Don't act like an idiot.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in the music industry?   3 Answers

Guitar Center Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback! We sincerely appreciate it!

Sales Associate In Professional Audio Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in June 2012.

Interview

Basic interview questions regarding hypothetical job scenarios. What do you want to accomplish. What do you know and what concerns you about the job. Strengths and weaknesses. Online application process will rate your application based on potential.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

PIM Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Extremely Friendly and Professional Human Resource Recruiter.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Currently working for the media music group.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

I got an interview by walking in to purchase a pack of strings, and asking to speak with the store manager while I was there. I dropped off my resume with him and he got a feel for me which he counted as my first interview. I had one more subsequent interview with the Sales and Training Manager before I was hired on

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There weren't any negotiable options I was able to take advantage of.

CRM Manager Interview

Interview

Lengthy interview with many people. Took about 4 hours.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Pretty basic questions regarding sales and general music knowledge. Mostly attempting to gauge what your personality type is, how personable you are, and your knowledge of music and their gear. Sell yourself.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a cardiod and and condenser mic?   Answer Question

Sales Assocoiate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

really relaxed and easy. If you know music you will get the job. Also have to be able to work min 20 hours a week.

Negotiation

no negotiating

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

You cannot start as a sales manager right away. You have to start as a sales associate and work your way up to department manager, assistant manager, and then sales manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Your pay is based off of how much you were able to sell in commission as a sales associate.

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake Village, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Interesting place. I applied online and received an email invitation from an HR rep for a phone interview with her which we scheduled for the next day at 10 am. At 10 am the next day I am waiting by the phone with details of the position in hand so I can discuss it intelligently. No call. After an hour I send an email "sorry I missed your call can we reschedule?", no response, next I call the HR rep and leave a voice mail, still no response. At the end of the day around 5:30ish I get an email from the recruiter apologizing for missing the interview but something came up and could we reschedule for the next day. I responded that would be fine and she could call anytime. Nothing. More emails and phone messages and still nothing. I can understand that people are busy and things come up but the lack of common courtesy and professionalism after missing the second call was very disappointing and could be indicative of how people are treated in this corporation.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Easy going interview just be yourself, try to sell yourself as the person you are not the person you think they want you to be. Good luck, dress nice but comfortable

Interview Questions

Guitar Center Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback! We sincerely appreciate it!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Scottsdale, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

I called the hiring manager when I first arrived to let them know the front door was locked. While on the phone with him, a lady opened the door and said to come back later because they had a random "conference call" to attend. While she started saying this, the manager I was on the phone with said someone was coming to the door to let me and the other interviewee in, so I relied "she's here, thank you." When I said that, the woman stopped everything, paused for what seemed like an eternity and gave me a horrible look, like I had purposefully interrupted her, treating me like I was a child and embarrassing me infront of the guy who was also being interviewed. When she finally continued, she told us both that we'd have to wait, which normally wouldn't be an issue if she hadn't been so rude. I went to my car and called the hiring manager again to let him know I was no longer interested in the position if that's how the woman acted toward people. Who would want to work for someone like that? Treating me like I was below her before I even accepted the position. I can only imagine what her employees have to deal with on a daily basis. So, not only did they disrespect my time, by failing to at least call before rescheduling our appointment and letting me drive all the way up there just to be turned away so rudely, but they also let this "director" disrespect me as a person, much less an employee, before the interview even started. I heard from different sources that Guitar Center was a difficult place to work because of the low wages and toxic atmosphere, but I learned first hand that the latter is definitely true. Later on, the district manager called me to personally apologize and offer me another interview, to which I declined.