Guitar Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

1.9

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Relaxed. If you are a good fit for the job the interview will go very smooth. Just be yourself. You will be selling products to customers so you better be able to sell yourself and be likable. Don't act like an idiot.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in the music industry?   3 Answers

Operations Lead Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Informal conversation to discuss responsibilities and culture. Interview with the operations manager, the store manager and the Operations lead. Discussions started around the specific roles and transitioned into a conversation on the culture and people.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

Usually there are multiple interviews and if the recruiters can schedule them all in one day they will. The recruiters are very helpful, but much of the time you are waiting on those who you interview with to be timely and responsive.

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Aurora, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed with one other person who was also hired. We went over some of the job requirements with the store manager, and answered some questions about ourselves. We discussed our previous experience and why we wanted to work for Guitar Center.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Guitar Center?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Went online, applied for four positions at two different locations. Called the store managers to follow up. Scheduled an interview. Was fairly laid back. Didn't feel pressured. They were pretty honest about what the job was like, although they did exaggerate the pay and commission to make it seem like you can make a descent living there.

Interview Questions

• Explain the differences between different series of guitars of the same manufacturer and model (for example, the differences between a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Custom, Studio, Traditional, Classic, etc.)   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Met with one of the accounting managers and his subordinate (who would be my boss.) The interview was about 30 minutes long. They asked me about my experience and background and told me what the job would involve. Both were very nice people.

Interview Questions

• How good are you with Excel?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Bakersfield, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

3 separate interviews with the operations manager, customer service manager and store manager. They all pretty much asked the same question, which lead me to believe they were just checking out my personality. I felt pretty visibly nervous, but thy must have liked my green hair.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience with music   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Fairfax, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Took 1 day. I applied online and followed up in store. I was interviewed and hired on the spot. The store manager was appreciative that I followed up with him in person. It is a very laid back environment and we were able to take a little time to talk about music and our musical backgrounds as well as what my sales experience was and what my expectations of the job were.

Interview Questions

• What is my musical background and do I have any sales experience? The interview was very relaxed and informal.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Tulsa, OK) in January 2014.

Interview

Short in-person interview with operations manager about company guidelines and expectations. Also discussed my physical ability to lift boxes and unload freight, as well as an accommodating work schedule. Offered a job on the spot, and started working the following day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Hendersonville, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

I met the Interviewer at a hotel because they were opening a location that had not been fully opened yet and he and I talked for about 15-20 minutes. Overall I would say it was more casual in nature and a judgement of my personality rather than qualifications that is typically taken care of by the online resume.