Guitar Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Guitar Center Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2017

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

I was called in for the interview after applying online. The first interview was 1-on-1 with the store manager where we just had a conversation about gear, and it was pretty light. The 2nd interview, I was grilled a little harder by some employees on gear.

Interview Questions

• Extremely basic interview questions peppered with musical gear trivia.   1 Answer

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Orlando, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was quite colloquial. Questions were related to the type of work and experience. They focused more in describe what are the operations associate duties and they asked you questions about. Most of them your answer is based on your availability and interest of doing that kind of job.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Store Manager and Operations Manager brought people in one at a time. They were mainly concerned with APPLICABLE experience to the position (sales/retail/customer service/LIVE MUSIC gear setup). They listened to everyone then said, "ok, we'll get back to you all."

I've heard many people talk about how passionate they are, but how they have no experience. That line might work at a different company, but you actually have to know what you're talking about at Guitar Center, or the working musicians who frequent it will see right through your B.S!

Interview Questions

• Can you give us examples of music equipment knowledge that people don't normally understand?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

I have been a long term customer of GC and often found myself helping customers before I worked there. I jokingly said to the sales guys that I should work there, and they told me to apply. I applied online and was told by one of the other employees to follow up daily to get the interview. That Daily tip was really good, because that is what it took to get in.

The initial interview was with the Store Manager. I brought an extra resume which paid dividends because they lost it. They asked about my music and technology background, and sales experience. I was almost dismissed as over qualified because of my pro-audio experience, but I was able to talk them down from that ledge.

Getting the 2nd interview was another round of calling to ask for it every day. Each day I called, the manager "was just about to call me". The 2nd interview was with the sales training manager and Pro Audio department manager. Again, I brought extra resumes which again was helpful.

They were pretty positive about the opportunity, but could not offer on the spot.

Then I was stonewalled for about a week, with the manager seeming disinterested. Then out of nowhere, he called to beg me to take the job.

Interview Questions

• What would I change about Guitar Center   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Fairfax, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Took 1 day. I applied online and followed up in store. I was interviewed and hired on the spot. The store manager was appreciative that I followed up with him in person. It is a very laid back environment and we were able to take a little time to talk about music and our musical backgrounds as well as what my sales experience was and what my expectations of the job were.

Interview Questions

• What is my musical background and do I have any sales experience? The interview was very relaxed and informal.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Bakersfield, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

3 separate interviews with the operations manager, customer service manager and store manager. They all pretty much asked the same question, which lead me to believe they were just checking out my personality. I felt pretty visibly nervous, but thy must have liked my green hair.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your experience with music   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

I had two interviews. The first one was sometime in June and it was with the STM (Sales Training Manager). Overall i think the interview took maybe 10 min. It was very short and simple, and pretty easy. He did go through a list of questions with me though, questions about my past experience/jobs. Also questions like, "What would you do in this scenario at work...How would you handle this type of customer?...etc." I got a call maybe a month and a half later and was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you showed your integrity in a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter
    Then phone interview with HR Mgr
    Then interview with Category Manager in person for 1 hour
    Then come back and interview with VP OF Dept for 1 hour

Interview Questions

• What would you do individually or collectively to grow your categories?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Gave me what I asked for.

Guitar Salesman Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

After completing the prescreening application online, I got a call back about a month later. The general manager asked me about my personal music experience such as what I played and how long have I been a musician. Then he asked me a question a consumer would have as a test: "What are 3 big differences between Fender Strats and Gibson Less Paul's?" If you don't know that, I recommend looking somewhere else. After answering the question, he asked about my availability and said he'd like an in person interview. The interview was with him and the sales manager asking about what I would do in situations such as a disgruntled customer (get a manager, they are there to help) and then asked about what a good customer experience is to you (doing everything you can to make them feel good about the sale and wanting to come back). After that, a call in a week confirmed the hire.

Interview Questions

• What are 3 big differences between Fender Strats and Gibson Less Paul's?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a disgruntled customer?   Answer Question
    • What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Group interview. Very informal. About 10 people present. I was the only one with a resume and any experience pertaining to the job. Store manager and training manager present. Go around the room asking basic questions. Why you want to work there. What's your exoerience/background. Do you want full time or part time. What are some sales techniques you would use.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Guitar Center after so many years at a competitor?   1 Answer