Guitar Center Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 1, 2017

2.0

58 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Scottsdale, AZ) in September 2017.

Interview

I called the hiring manager when I first arrived to let them know the front door was locked. While on the phone with him, a lady opened the door and said to come back later because they had a random "conference call" to attend. While she started saying this, the manager I was on the phone with said someone was coming to the door to let me and the other interviewee in, so I relied "she's here, thank you." When I said that, the woman stopped everything, paused for what seemed like an eternity and gave me a horrible look, like I had purposefully interrupted her, treating me like I was a child and embarrassing me infront of the guy who was also being interviewed. When she finally continued, she told us both that we'd have to wait, which normally wouldn't be an issue if she hadn't been so rude. I went to my car and called the hiring manager again to let him know I was no longer interested in the position if that's how the woman acted toward people. Who would want to work for someone like that? Treating me like I was below her before I even accepted the position. I can only imagine what her employees have to deal with on a daily basis. So, not only did they disrespect my time, by failing to at least call before rescheduling our appointment and letting me drive all the way up there just to be turned away so rudely, but they also let this "director" disrespect me as a person, much less an employee, before the interview even started. I heard from different sources that Guitar Center was a difficult place to work because of the low wages and toxic atmosphere, but I learned first hand that the latter is definitely true. Later on, the district manager called me to personally apologize and offer me another interview, to which I declined.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Guitar Center

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Guitar Center (New York, NY).

Interview

Taken to management office to speak with the managers. Asked me standard questions, and some questions to see my interest in the field i was applying for. Nice people and non offensive interview.

Interview Questions

Guitar Center Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback on the interview process. We really appreciate it!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Relaxed. If you are a good fit for the job the interview will go very smooth. Just be yourself. You will be selling products to customers so you better be able to sell yourself and be likable. Don't act like an idiot.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in the music industry?   3 Answers

Guitar Center Response

Aug 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback! We sincerely appreciate it!

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Went online, applied for four positions at two different locations. Called the store managers to follow up. Scheduled an interview. Was fairly laid back. Didn't feel pressured. They were pretty honest about what the job was like, although they did exaggerate the pay and commission to make it seem like you can make a descent living there.

Interview Questions

• Explain the differences between different series of guitars of the same manufacturer and model (for example, the differences between a Gibson Les Paul Standard, Custom, Studio, Traditional, Classic, etc.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I was out of town so the manager on duty s nice enough to conduct a phone interview instead of the traditional face to face. The management team was very personable and seemed up hiring me.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Denver, CO).

Interview

I filled out the online application at guitarcenter.com and met with the store manager the same day. We sat, one-on-one in his office and talked for a long while about my history as a musician and my work history. It was a very casual conversation mainly about music and how Guitar Center operated. The interview was mainly a judge of my conversational skills and my ability to interact with someone I had first met. I then was taken to meet and spend some time with the two associates in the department I would be working in.

Interview Questions

• What does integrity mean to you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hendersonville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Hendersonville, TN) in November 2016.

Interview

I met the Interviewer at a hotel because they were opening a location that had not been fully opened yet and he and I talked for about 15-20 minutes. Overall I would say it was more casual in nature and a judgement of my personality rather than qualifications that is typically taken care of by the online resume.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview

Pretty relaxed. Just talked about my musical experience and why I wanted to work there. After talking about being in school for recording I pretty much sealed the job and we began to small talk.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Slow and very unprofessional. Interviewed in groups of 5+ in small room. Interviewer didn't look up at us at all, just felt like he wanted to get it over with. I applied online and didn't get a response till weeks later. I still think guitar center is the best way to go for musician but their interview process was horrible.

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Guitar Center (Aurora, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed with one other person who was also hired. We went over some of the job requirements with the store manager, and answered some questions about ourselves. We discussed our previous experience and why we wanted to work for Guitar Center.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Guitar Center?   1 Answer