Gymboree Play and Music Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gymboree Play and Music Interview Questions

Updated May 30, 2017

2.2

Play Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via phone about my application a day or two after submitting it, and went through a very casual phone interview -- just questions about what I was looking for in the job. During that phone call, we scheduled an in-person interview for the next day.

The in-person interview was brief and friendly -- just a quick meeting with the owner and more of a casual conversation than a formal interview. Questions were straightforward, meant to learn more about me as a person or questions that were obviously necessary for the job (for example, "Do you mind undergoing a background check?"). I was asked to perform any quick children's song, just to check that I had a decently pleasant voice, but it was very low pressure.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The whole process was very friendly and helpful and emphasized communication. Ask for what you need, and I'm sure they will be happy to negotiate.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music.

Interview

The interview was a group interview. They told me over the phone that I had to sing a song for them. They want to see if you have a nice voice to sing songs with the children.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

After applying online, I received an email that asked me to call a phone number and leave some requested information. After that I received an email inviting me to come in for an interview. At the interview - spent a morning participating in classes and having a one-on-one interview. Had to sing and speak as an audition. Had to fill out a four page application and bring it to the interview with me.
    Received a phone call the next day offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• What would make you a great teacher? What would be a challenge for you when teaching? Tell me about the most important jobs you have had and what you liked and did not like about each of them. Why did you leave each of them? What are your interests outside of work?   1 Answer

Music Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music.

Interview

I received an email requesting an interview less than a week after applying. I arrived for the interview, which took place in a classroom with two of the teachers.

They asked me a few questions, asked me to sing a song, and asked me to read a selection of a book aloud. (They had warned me about the song and the book prior to the interview.)

The interview went really well. They seemed to really like me, and they invited me to sit in on a class sometime the following week. They told me I was what they were looking for and told me they would get in touch within a week.

It's been three weeks, and I haven't heard a word from them. I was really looking forward to hearing from them, as I would have really enjoyed this position. I have since accepted another teaching position at another institution.

It's just a bit disappointing and, I feel, unprofessional that they seemed to completely forget about me, especially after the interview went so well.

Music Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Missouri City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music (Missouri City, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone interview a day or so after applying. Interviewer offers me a class screening the next day and in-person interview after. I couldn't make it to the screening on that date, but she said it was fine and didn't reschedule that.
    She shows up 10-15 minutes late to the interview. Didn't apologize. She didn''t introduce herself, so I make the first move. To start things off, she told me she was originally going to dismiss me as a candidate because of a job I had listed on my resumé, and asked if it was "just something had to do to make money". Then asked why I decided to work there. That was extremely unsettling and set a really weird tone for the rest of the interview. I assured her that it was the best job I've ever had and that I loved the work I did.
    She also asked unreasonably invasive questions, mostly about my transportation.
    We made our way to the classroom area and she asked me to dance to some music.
    Then she asked me to sing a song. I decided to sing the Hokey Pokey, to incorporate movement. After I finish, she asks me to sing something that will "show her more of my voice". I finish and she asks if I've seen The Sound of Music, and tells me to sing Do Re Mi.
    She didn't tell me it was going to be a physically interactive interview, which made it difficult for me because I had to dance, sing, and demonstrate activities with a pencil skirt and heels on.
    Besides the prior harassment, one of the worst parts of the interview was that she talked over me the whole time, didn't let me give full answers, or finish asking her questions. She came across as underprepared, prying, and completely uninterested in me from the start. It seemed as though she thought I was wasting her time.
    I've never felt this degree of aloofness and preconceived bias in an interview.
    It sucks because, prior to the interview, I was absolutely thrilled for this opportunity.
    Some things are too good to be true.

Interview Questions

• "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "Tell me about a time..."   1 Answer
    • Asked if someone dropped me off at the interview, acknowledged that I was close enough to bike to the Pearland location (listing I applied to), then later asked how I was going to get to work.   1 Answer
    • "What are you going to do about getting a job if you don't have a car? This is only part time."   Answer Question
    • "What are you going to do if you don't get a job in Houston?"   Answer Question
    • Asked me to create a quick demo for a classroom scenario using class props and actions "up/down" "left/right" "loud/quiet" etc.   Answer Question
    • She gave a lot of unclear instruction. Her questions were a little vague and uninspired and I felt like I was pulling more than my fair load in the interview.
      It seemed like she didn't put much thought into any aspect of the interview.   Answer Question
    • How would you handle insecure, new mothers that compare their child's developmental progress (or seemingly lack thereof) to others?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I sent in an online application with my resume and a short cover letter. I was called the next day and interviewed the day after that. I came in to the location, filled out some paperwork, and was interviewed by the manager. It was pretty straight forward. I was asked a series of a questions, asked to sing a short song, and asked to describe how I would sell a product.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I the manager should choose me (over someone else) to work at Gymboree Play & Music   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online on a Friday, called on Monday. The call was like a pre-screening. I had an in-person interview on Tuesday and offered the job the same day. Even though I applied online, there was an application I had to fill out on site. There were two people waiting after I finished my interview and they interviewed together, so it depends if you get a private interview or not.

Before I interviewed, I observed a gym class at one of the Houston locations to make sure I could see myself doing it. That was really helpful.

Interview Questions

• Went over my resume explaining how I was qualified for the job and the qualities that all my previous work experience would make me good at Instructing in Gymboree classes.

Had to sing a child's song. (songs with actions are a good idea).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music (Boston, MA).

Interview

It was a group interview at the location. We were asked some individual questions then asked to interact with the play space in response to certain prompts alongside the other applicants. We were then given the opportunity to ask questions at the end. We also needed to submit our general availability for classes/playtime.

Interview Questions

• What is your availability? How would you respond if a child is upset?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music (Miami, FL) in October 2015.

Interview

My mother called the company and was told to email them a resume. After I email them the next day I was invited via email to attend a group interview at 6:30 pm. I arrived about 10 to 15 minutes early and told the lady at the desk I was here for the job interview so she handed me an application to fill out. We didn't start the interview until all the children and parents left which was after 6:30. I'm guessing it was the manager along with the lady at the desk (was also her daughter) invited the five of us in the art room and there were 5 chair put next to each other for us to seat. She passed down a marker and name tag for us to put on. She started talking and asked us if we knew anything about Gymboree including their history and stuff. Another thing she asked was to tell us something about yourself and what we will bring to the table. Her daughter asked about something embarrassing that happened at a work place after all questions were asked she asked if we had a question for her. Finally, she told us we had to sing a song to see if we could carry a tune (Luckily for me I went on Glassdoor and saw that singing a song was part of the interview and I was prepared.). She told us she will give a call for us when the teachers and children are there to observe the class being in session. Another thing she added was that we will be in training for at least 4 weeks and we will get pay minimum wage ($8.05) and after training all workers will start out with $11

Interview Questions

They haven't told me if I was hired or not yet.

Play & Learn Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Gymboree Play and Music.

Interview

Heard back pretty quickly for an in person interview. The interview was a group interview with the directors and other applicants. It was a few hours long and they also asked us to sing and dance. They contacted for a second group interview with fewer applicants with the normal questions asking what sets me apart and what i could do for the company. I called for a follow up after not hearing from them after they told me they would contact next week. They never got back to me and the directors always seemed to be too busy to reply.