H E B Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated May 3, 2017

2.4

Drug Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview took a week process with the background check. Overall it's simple and easy. They have a 1:1 with the supervisor and one with the direct manager. After that they take you do a background check. I followed up 3 days later to see the status of the position I went for and got hired.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kyle, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Kyle, TX).

Interview

Applied online and was called the next day for a phone interview. Totally wasn't prepared but did well enough for a one on one interview. The interview was pretty easy until you have to sell at least one of the 5 random items they bring in to them. If you do well enough you'll talk to the GM. He was also nice but if he doesn't hire you on the spot, you most likely didn't get the job. Just FYI.

Interview Questions

• What would you bring to the company?   1 Answer

Service Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied and got a call the next day. Just had my first interview. Pretty laid back. She only asked 3 questions and the rest of the convo was about my application(previous jobs and why I left, criminal background). Said she would give me a call within 5 hours to let me know if she was moving forward with me.

Checker/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Round Rock, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied and about a month later I got a call asking if I was still interested. I said yes, and little did I know I was about to receive a phone interview! She asked me about my work experience,and asked me to sell her something. Then I had an interview in person and another one the SAME day as opposed to coming back and I got a job offer that same day. My background check took a week to process and u begun training soon after.

Interview Questions

• What's you favorite soft drink or candy? Sell it to me as if I was a customer in line.   1 Answer
    • When is a time you went out of your way to do something for the community   1 Answer
    • Work experience   Answer Question
    • What does HEB mean to you?   Answer Question

Bakery Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at H E B (San Marcos, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Took about a week to two weeks once they see you have so experience in customer service they will hire you on to the department. Interviews are not hard at all just be confident and show up with a smile. Most of the questions will be situational type questions.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you see a fellow co-worker stealing?   Answer Question

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX).

Interview

I went in several times and bugged them till they hired me. I went to the assistant manager and explained the high turnover rate and the hard work. He explained that the other coworkers are hard on slower workers and asked if I could handle a little smack talk.

Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online around June 14th and after hearing nothing for two weeks, I talked to my friend who was already a checker at that HEB and he said that when he applied, he kind of had to badger them so he suggested I call HEB and ask about my application because it'll show my interest in the job. Sure enough, two hours later, the HEB manager called me back, reviewed my application, asked me a few questions over the phone and then invited me to go to a one-on-one interview three days later. That interview only took about five minutes and and they scheduled me for another one-on-one interview two days later. Still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went out of your way to help someone.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you 'lost your cool' with someone and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    • What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I provided my resume to a recruiter at a career fair and didn't think much of it. I received a call two weeks later requesting I interview for the SORL Program and a phone interview was conducted a few days later (20 minutes). From there I met with a regional HR Rep about two weeks later (lasted ten minutes). Following that interview I met with the Regional Director of Retail Operations (one hour). I was offered a job about five hours later.

Interview Questions

• First off, I had more of a dialogue considering my previous experience in a field HEB is considering getting into for future prospective employees. I spent some time explaining my world and what certain titles meant/entailed.

Questions:

Tell me about yourself.

How did you hear about us/how have you gotten to this point in the process?

Why HEB?

Have you interviewed with anyone else? (This was meant as a method to learn what interests me career-wise)

How would your employees describe your leadership style?

Biggest weaknesses?

Biggest strengths?

Name a time you intervened when someone demonstrated questionable integrity.

Name a time you helped a specific employee or peer.

When do you truly shine?

What makes you uncomfortable in the workplace?

How would you define a grey area?

What are your hobbies?

How do you handle work-life balance?

Are you a thinker or a doer?

Why did you choose your major?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

I reviewed the company on this ap and was offered a salary well above the normal person entering this job based on my knowledge and leadership experience. Negotiation is possible depending on the candidate.

Cashier/Bagger Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX).

Interview

Had my first interview with the Central Checkout manager. She mostly asked me questions from my resume. She asked about my high school, what I planned to do in 5 years and my volunteer work. She asked how the skills I learned from my experience would apply to this position. Then at the end we scheduled another appointment with one of the store leaders. This interview was the next day, and the store leader asked more question by the book like my weakness and strengths, how I would handle a situation and if I work good under pressure. This interview went well and I was offered the job and began my paper work.

LP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Easygoing
    Dynamic and very positive the managers are easy to approach and there's an open door policy. I think that as a whole the pocess was pretty basic, the normal interview questions you would at any job but they make it theirs in a nice way. There was 2 interviews total plus a day for signing a consent form for a background check.