H E B Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 12, 2017

2.3

94 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at H E B.

Interview

Questions are mostly situational. They will ask you to describe a time you overcame a situation. They focus mostly on how you will fit in with their culture. Try to have have storys from previous experience, that show case your values.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you did not agree with someone and how you handled that?
    What are your weaknesses?
    Tell me about a time you provided exceptional customer service?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for H E B

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Got called in for a group interview, they asked us to stand up and say things about ourselves/our experience. This went very well, and they called me in for a second one-on-one interview. This one was somewhat relaxed, they asked me questions about me, my availability, some scenario questions etc. This also went well and the next day, I received a phone call asking me to come in for a 3rd and final interview with the general manager the following morning at 9am. I said that since I was in high school I would be in school at that time so the woman said she would speak to the general manager and get back to me on another possible time. I'm sitting here 3 days later with no phone call, so I assume that's it.

Interview Questions

• what would you do if a customer came through the express checkout with over 25 items?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Friendswood, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B (Friendswood, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

This website was a HUGE help!! Litteraly every question I got asked was on this website - so study the questions and answers!!!!!

My first interview was a group interview with 20+ people
    My second interview was one-on-one
    My third interview was also one-on-one
    Out of the group of over 20 people me and 2 other people got hired. Be professional and dress business casual. None of the people that wore blue jeans and a t-shirt were hired. Keep that in mind so dress accordingly.
    The first interview my employer made each of us stand up and answer 3 questions about yourself and your hobbies. Then we got in groups of 5 and made a 'meal deal' and presented it in front of everyone. (make sure to use all h-e-b brand products and say we chose all h-e-b products because they are cheaper than name-brand products and are of the same quality or better than the name-brands).
    The second interview was situational questions. Example: What would you do if a customer complained that her produce was bagged with bleach? What would you do if a customer with 30 items went into an express lane (15 or less items)?
    Then the third interview was with a general manager. I got asked about myself and why H-E-B. The third interview was very laid back. When asked why I chose H-E-B I said I've done a lot of research on other jobs and I found H-E-B would be the best fit for me. I'm very passionate about customer service and love making people happy. On your website and coming here to the store I saw that customer service is your number 1 priority which is also mine. I have customer experience doing..blah blah. I also saw on your website that H-E-B is very passionate about giving back to the community. You guys have food banks, education scholarships for schools, and disaster relief. I love community service and overall I feel my priorities match very well with H-E-B's. He was very impressed and complimented me on doing research on the company. After that he called in his secretary and let me fill out a background check form. I heard back a week later and got invited to orientation this Saturday!

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX).

Interview

A group interview with two others, we were asked a few personal questions as well as requested to try and push a HEB product. It was low stress thanks to the others in the interview and didn't involve much waiting around.

Interview Questions

• They gave us HEB products and told us to convince a fictional customer to buy them over the item they wanted.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B.

Interview

I had submitted my application online and received a call to come to a group interview. I have never participated in a group interview before. There were about ten of us. We were blank paper and crayons which were broken and hard to work with. There were two managers taking notes and one manager who did all of the talking. I found the experience degrading. The two females never once smiled and it felt hostile. If you are an older person who is retired and looking for a position, forget it. After this group interview, they tell you they will notify you by the end of the day but they do not tell you when that is. I was frankly humiliated. It's all a matter of if they like you or not. I said the interview was difficult because It felt like "mean girls" watching us and judging us.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal which one would you be and why?
      If you could live anywhere where would you live and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B (Houston, TX).

Interview

This was a group interview with a full room of interviewees and one interviewer. Everyone in the group was asked the same questions and some interview items were even completed in groups.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B.

Interview

application - lucky if you get a call
    group interview
    manager interview
    hired if like you

Blah, blah, blah,,, they like to be selective and hire the best, difficult people. blah blah, blah, blah
    it is a cashier job where you are expected to deal with the BS, take all the racist crap that they trow at you all day and smile until you clock out

Interview Questions

• Just be nice, outgoing, service oriented, say yes to all their bs and you will be ok   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Very short and sweet. They wanted to know my availability and a bit of my work history to be explained. They wanted to know if I was comfortable with confrontation and unhappy customers. They wanted to know why I wanted to work for HEB and if company culture was important to me.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time I gave excellent customer service   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H E B (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

It was a three part process. Two one on one interviews followed up by a group interview. The managers had us partner on, puck a product and sell it to the rest of the group.Then a credit check and drug test.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at H E B (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interactive group interview, call back for a second interview. Group interview they had us figuring out how to transport an egg without breaking it while managers watched. One on one interview was about 15 minutes. Got a job offer right then and there