H E B Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.5

Perishable Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H E B (Abilene, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

They had me do the first interview with the supervisor and he went over my application with a fine tooth comb. He asked about all my previous job history and even had me look at several photos and give him my first response after seeing the pics. He showed me around the perishable department and then asked me to come back in an hour to have a second interview with the store manager. He asked only a few questions and just told me all the perks to working for HEB.

Interview Questions

• What had I done to go above and beyond to help someone out   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B.

Interview

I attended a HEB job fair, I had to apply online first, then I was able to attend the in person interviews they were conducting on site at the warehouse locations.

Interview Questions

• What strengths do I bring to the HEB.   1 Answer

Service Checker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied and got a call the next day. Just had my first interview. Pretty laid back. She only asked 3 questions and the rest of the convo was about my application(previous jobs and why I left, criminal background). Said she would give me a call within 5 hours to let me know if she was moving forward with me.

Checker/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Round Rock, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied and about a month later I got a call asking if I was still interested. I said yes, and little did I know I was about to receive a phone interview! She asked me about my work experience,and asked me to sell her something. Then I had an interview in person and another one the SAME day as opposed to coming back and I got a job offer that same day. My background check took a week to process and u begun training soon after.

Interview Questions

• What's you favorite soft drink or candy? Sell it to me as if I was a customer in line.   1 Answer
    • When is a time you went out of your way to do something for the community   1 Answer
    • Work experience   Answer Question
    • What does HEB mean to you?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call to schedule an interview about 2 weeks later. I had a second interview a week later where the manager offered the position.

Cross Functional Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H E B (San Antonio, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was a group interview that covered the basic things that most retail jobs go over. We were all asked to sell an item and were given scenarios to ensure that we were the best fit for the position. Ultimately what the hiring panel was looking for was someone that was looking to grow with the company and BELIEVED in the company vision.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Deli Partner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at H E B (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Basic interview questions with a Senario of how you would respond to a specific customer of recommending a certain type of of cheese to accompany a type of deli meat.

Interview Questions

• Do you work well as a team and are able to work well on your own   1 Answer

Night Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H E B (San Antonio, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied the night before, got a call the day after to schedule an interview, with a small, psuedo-phone interview beforehand (small screening questions). Scheduled for the following day, and was told to wait in the break room for the supervisor who was going to interview me, which was a little awkward. After a few minutes, I was called back for a one-on-one interview. Many of the questions used were standard fare. He then asked me if I had any questions, and seemed pleasantly surprised when I actually did. I asked "what will the training be like?", "what is the criteria for qualifying to be a full-time employee? (everyone starts off part-time)", "will I be needing any external certifications to use the equipment on this job?" etc.

After I had run out of questions, the interviewer gave me a "contingent job offer," the contingency being a background check. I filled out a form, handed it in to the proper personnel... and then waited. This process apparently tends to take a while for most everyone. Get ready to wait for a solid week, if not more, especially if you interviewed right before a weekend like I did.

After a week and several potential other interviews had passed, I started to grow a little nervous. I called into the store to see the status of the background check. Interestingly, it had just come through and I was "the first on the list to call" that day. From there, they schedule your first day, which involves reviewing company policy, setting up your payment method, and briefing you on the clock system.

Tips to potential interviewees: 1) ask questions, 2) try to remember names, 3) it's okay to call to ask for more information, 4) be sure all your information is correct, as this may cause background checks to take longer, 5) strong eye-contact, 6) review the questions but don't rehearse too much, and 7) RELAX.

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX).

Interview

I went in several times and bugged them till they hired me. I went to the assistant manager and explained the high turnover rate and the hard work. He explained that the other coworkers are hard on slower workers and asked if I could handle a little smack talk.

Transportation Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temple, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Temple, TX).

Interview

I applied online and received an automated email saying that I was not being considered for the position. (I had an individual who WORKED FOR ME apply and he received a call back. He was not interested in working at the distribution center that was looking to hire.) I contacted a recruiter and was told they didn't understand why my resume was not considered. I worked my way into a face to face interview. I waited for over an hour after my interview time. Ok... no biggie. I finally head back and begin the interview. I felt great about the interview. They asked if I had any questions at the end. I asked a few and they were answered. My final question was....if you do not consider me for the position would you give me a call back and let me know what the reasoning was behind me being looked over. I was told absolutly! I waited for several weeks. I received another automated e-mail stating I was not going to be considered for the position. No phone call, personal e-mail or anything like I said I would get. Well a couple months later I happen to run into the recruiter that got me in the interview. I asked her if she knew why I was not considered. She told me that she was told that I did not have enough leadership or transportation experience. Hmmmm.

I served 21 years in the Military as enlisted and officer. I managed teams from 25 to over 300 personnel. I have a degree in transportation and spent all 21 years in transportation management! I just wish they could have been honest with me.

Interview Questions

• What would you say some of your strengths and weaknesses are.   Answer Question