H E B School of Retail Leadership Interview Questions | Glassdoor

H E B School of Retail Leadership Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McAllen, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B (McAllen, TX).

Interview

Video interview was quick, but interviewer was blah. They cut me off mid question, and it kind of threw me off a bit. I requested feedback after getting the rejection email, but never heard back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
  • What is your salary requirement?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for H E B

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online last month, and then a about 2 weeks later I got an email from a recruiter asking me to confirm my contact information and to setup a phone interview. Day of the phone interview I had taken off work early and was relaxed/calm at home waiting on my call. Well after about 10 - 15 minutes I called the recruiter and left a message, she called me back about 10 minutes later stating that she had sent me an email yesterday to reschedule.

After conclusion of the interview the recruiter closed by informing me that if I were selected for the next step in the interview process they would be in touch within 2 weeks. Two days later I get an email from the recruiter asking to reschedule our interview, I was not too sure if this is step #2, or if she didn't hit "send" on her email from last week (that I had yet to receive) I responded back. Then she writes back quickly that this is not step #2 and this is the email from last week. I don't know who felt more confused at the end of this awkward conversation.

Interview Questions

• Started out with about a 30 minute phone interview, where they went over the basic questions of "have you ever been convicted of a felony, etc..."

We then moved into scenario based questions about my past work history and how I dealt with adversity. Since this is a store leadership role we talked at lengths on my leadership style, and how I motivate my subordinates to follow me. We talked about my greatest achievements and my worst failures, again how do you pickup the pieces and move forward.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

I provided my resume to a recruiter at a career fair and didn't think much of it. I received a call two weeks later requesting I interview for the SORL Program and a phone interview was conducted a few days later (20 minutes). From there I met with a regional HR Rep about two weeks later (lasted ten minutes). Following that interview I met with the Regional Director of Retail Operations (one hour). I was offered a job about five hours later.

Interview Questions

• First off, I had more of a dialogue considering my previous experience in a field HEB is considering getting into for future prospective employees. I spent some time explaining my world and what certain titles meant/entailed.

Questions:

Tell me about yourself.

How did you hear about us/how have you gotten to this point in the process?

Why HEB?

Have you interviewed with anyone else? (This was meant as a method to learn what interests me career-wise)

How would your employees describe your leadership style?

Biggest weaknesses?

Biggest strengths?

Name a time you intervened when someone demonstrated questionable integrity.

Name a time you helped a specific employee or peer.

When do you truly shine?

What makes you uncomfortable in the workplace?

How would you define a grey area?

What are your hobbies?

How do you handle work-life balance?

Are you a thinker or a doer?

Why did you choose your major?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

I reviewed the company on this ap and was offered a salary well above the normal person entering this job based on my knowledge and leadership experience. Negotiation is possible depending on the candidate.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at H E B (Houston, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process includes three interviews: a phone interview, a group interview, and a final interview.

The phone interview was with a recruiter, and it only lasted about 30 minutes. She asked me questions about my resume/experience, and also basic interview questions. She was very kind and polite, and seemed genuinely interested to learn more about me. At the end of the interview, she invited me to attend a group interview in the next month.

Because I was travelling out of town, HEB made hotel reservations and reimbursed me for my gas mileage. The group interview took place in a conference room inside of a remodeled HEB, there were 9 candidates there. The first part of the interview consisted of all contestants filling out a questionnaire, and presenting it to the group. We were then split up into two teams, and we were given a business case scenario, in which we had to work together in order to provide solutions. We were given 20 minutes to brainstorm, then we presented. You presented in front of the other team, as well as about 5 Unit Directors. The second part of the interview was a store tour with a Unit Director. You're able to ask questions, learn more about the position, and about HEB as a company, and it's culture as well. The last part of the interview was a one on one with a Unit Director, who asked basic interview questions.

After about a week, I was invited to the final round: an interview with the Senior HR Manager and Regional Vice President. The interview lasted about 45 minutes, and it was pretty much the same questions as the previous interview. They were more concerned about getting to know you as a person.

About two weeks after the final interview, I was called and given an offer. The interview process was not too difficult, but definitely not easy. The people involved in the interviews were great, as well as the recruiters. I am so excited to start a career with such an amazing company, that truly puts their partners first!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you motivated an employee?   Answer Question
    • How would your employees describe you as a manager?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most recent success?   Answer Question
    • What is your biggest weakness? What would your supervisor put on your review?   Answer Question
    • We have several more candidates to interview, why should we choose you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Application process includes a questionnaire so gauge skill set in certain situations. The actual interview process consists of 2 interviews. First round with 2 Unit Directors (Top Store Managers). Second Round with The Director of HR and a Regional Director of Operations and the Talent Manager. Questions are based on the HEB Competency Model and the interviewers are looking for ability around Communication, Relationship Building, Adaptability, Passion for Results, Building Talent, Service Mentality etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you made a decision that you felt was correct but may have been viewed as unethical by others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

The School of Retail Leadership of HEB's training program all upper level salaried employees must graduate before assuming a upper level management position with the company. The interview process is long, sometimes taking over a month, with several sessions including single interviews at various levels, group interviews and finally a one on one interview with high level rep of the company. A very small percentage of applicants pass the process, probably one of the reasons HEB is a top ten Forbes listed company in several areas.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in the past when a client or customer was disappointed in your companies performance. How did you handle the situation and how did you resolve the issue(s)?   1 Answer

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at H E B in June 2015.

Interview

About 3-4 weeks after applying, I get a call to setup a phone interview... on the date of the phone interview I take off work, have everything prepped and ready, and no call. Over a HALF HOUR later the phone rings with someone else from the HR office (not the interviewer) wanting to re-schedule, with some vague excuse. Let me stop right here and point out how if I had done that, the interview process would be over. Which would've actually done me a favor, as you'll find out.

But back to the process: phone interview finally takes place with the original interviewer, who is a junior HR jockey - barely 6 months on the job. Curiously, this was after she had worked in HEB store operations. Why one would be reduced to HR from a higher level position is a question with potentially alarming answers, but we were there to talk about me, not her.

After introductions and the usual niceties, she started reading off her interview question sheet. However, she didn't seem that interested in my answers, though I had carefully crafted great answers & rehearsed and practiced my delivery for 2 weeks, and had correctly anticipated the majority of her questions. But, after a nice, detailed answer with all the important things mentioned, I simply received an "uh huh. ok." response - no positive emotion or interest.

Roughly two weeks later, I received another call from the same junior HR lackey - unsurprisingly, they are "moving forward with other candidates who have more experience." I ask about the interview, how I might improve or if there was anything I that was a problem - she said there wasn't. So, you're telling me that I'm being disqualified from consideration because of something you already knew before the interview? I guess she wasn't used to logic-based problem solving, because all I heard in response to that was another vague answer that sure sounded like an excuse. Or I was just being straight up lied to about my interview performance. Unsettling either way.

The simple truth is that while the program description doesn't have a desired experience component listed, the "recruiters" (a term HR lackeys have no business using) will always take experience over anything else. Doesn't matter if you have demonstrated leadership and initiative in starting your own business that's very customer-focused, earned a graduate degree, and are not fresh out of college - unless you have what the "recruiter" would call "relevant experience", you're wasting your time applying.

In response to what in retrospect was a tremendous waste of my time, I will now ensure that the HR flunkies will need to come up with new questions, wasting their time.

Interview Questions

• How would others describe your leadership style?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you overcame a barrier in life?   1 Answer
    • Tell me why you're interested in the program?   1 Answer
    • Name an instance when you motivated and employee/coworker?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H E B (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

This interview has three parts, the phone interview, group interview with other candidates, and if you pass the group interview you get a one on one with the vice president and hr rep. I really wanted to give people a heads up before they decide to attend. Hope it helps :)

I received a phone interview about two months after I applied. The person giving the interview was extremely rude and not friendly. It seemed like he was just going through the motions with absolutely no personality.

The group interview was very, very strange. All of the other candidates, in total 9, were split in two groups. You have to stand in front of everyone and introduce yourself and answer a few questions of a sheet. Next it gets really weird. You are forced to do a group assignment with other competing candidates. Not sure what they are looking for with this project. Instead of team work, it’s more like who can talk over everyone and who can talk the most. Unfortunately, if you have a crazy, uneducated person out talking everyone in your group, chances are your team will not do well. This project isn't good for evaluating anything but yet it's the main focus of the group interview. This should be scratched out completely. When you have a team that's all about themselves, it will only cause dysfunction. The process was UNCOMFORTABLE and STRANGE to say the LEAST.

After the silly project, each candidate walks the store and has an individual interview which at this point they already have their mind made up on who they are choosing. Oh and did I mention that half of the candidates are current HEB employees, some that know the recruiters so well that they are hugging and catching up. Oh yea that's really FAIR. It also appears that external candidates are just seat fillers for their silly project.

Not to mention, the interview is located in the worst possible area Bunkerhill and I-10 and scheduled when traffic is absolutely horrendous! So be prepared to sit in traffic for an hour. Also be prepared to stay around for over (3) HOURS. Your time is worthless to them. This interview is a complete JOKE and a waste of time if you don’t work for the company or know the recruiters and managers!!

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H E B in April 2014.

Interview

Interview was completed at a hiring event at University of Houston. The interviewer had no personality and asked the most generic questions off of a list. While listening to my answers, she scribbled (yes, SCRIBBLED) on random places on her question book. I understand that they were interviewing several people that day, but I put forth my best effort to be there and I feel I received sub-par experience from their part.

Interview Questions

• The questions were the exact same questions you would fill out on an online application. Little to no personal interaction with the interviewee.   Answer Question

The interview was a mandatory assignment for my class and I had no real interest in the position. Other interviewees, who were actually interested, were ask the same exact questions.

School of Retail Leadership Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H E B in April 2013.

Interview

Interview with two store leaders. Started with standard questions like strengths and weaknesses and "tell me about yourself." Transitioned into behavioral interview questions that covered a range of leadership competencies. Questions were often difficult to link with specific competencies. Expectation is specific situation, behavior you exhibited, and outcome.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to address an ethics situation.   1 Answer