H&M Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

H&M Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Little Rock, AR) in April 2017.

Interview

-Applied for H&M New Location On February 14,2017

-Received and email on February 22, 2017 to email the regional recruitment manager to set up a phone interview.

-Phone Interview was schedule for March 6, 2017, I was asked basic quetions about my retail management experience, She asked me about KPI's, Shrinkage, Customer Service, Merchandising and Freight Control.She then asked me if she could schedule and in person interview with the District Recruiter

-2nd Interview Took Place On March 16, 2017, I was asked the same questions. This time I was asked to go more in debt with my answers. (Make sure you are familiar with your resume). I was asked alot of work related questions that I listed on my resume. Immediately once this interview was over he told me he wanted to move me on to phase 3. I was asked to complete the background check form.

-On March 24, 2017 I was emailed and told that my background check came back clear, and I was asked to have a final interview with the District Sales Manager at the recruitment fair H&M was hosting for the new store that was opening in the area.

April 6, 2017 Recruitment fair. I talked with the District Sales Manager for maybe 15 minutes and she loved me, she gave me an offer I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a goal, you have set for yourself and how did you accomplish that goal.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for H&M

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

Applied for department manager; Received a call for a phone interview from the store manager; No one called at specified time; Called several times to find out what happened; Did interview several hours after scheduled time all do to my follow-up and persistence; Met with another store manager at a different location; He convinced me that the job was perfect (I really wanted to work with him); Passed me to a final in-person interview with the store manager of the location who did my phone interview; I showed up 15 minutes before, and she was not there; interview started almost 25 minutes late; At the end of the interview, I was offered the position, but it was now called a "Department Supervisor"; Started my training 2 weeks later, and found out that it was not the same position but a position 1 level lower

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in January 2017.

Interview

Upon first speaking to the recruiter I was told that I would have 2 phone interviews then an in person interview with someone local (I was applying from out of state). But it never happened. I did 3 phone interviews. And I believe that I was out-casted due to the fact I was out of state, out of mind.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in an applicant?   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M in January 2017.

Interview

Had a great phone interview with the recruiter which made me very excited about the company, saying they valued people and believed in treating them well. Second interview with another recruiter was similar with a lot of great information about the company culture. About two weeks went by and then the first recruiter called to set up an interview with the store manager. We agreed on 2pm on that Friday. 2pm came and went and the store manager did not call, after 45 minutes I called her and she said "oh I had a conference call and I got busy. We proceeded to have the interview anyway though she was very distracted and scattered. Another week went by and I called to follow up. She replied she was in a meeting and would call me right back. I never heard from her again. Very unprofessional and disappointing after the recruiter had made the company seem better than that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you coached an employee to be successful   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&M in November 2016.

Interview

Very nice the man I had was very nice to me he took his time and asked me questions and made me feel so comfortable and he also took his time

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in July 2016.

Interview

Less than a week after applying online, I received an email from an H&M recruiter, wanting to schedule a phone interview with me. We scheduled it for the following week. Unfortunately she ended up not being able to attend the phone call due to her work and so we scheduled it for the next week. So, phone interview happened a little over 2 weeks after the application was turned in.

The phone interview wasn't too difficult, but I was taken completely by surprise when she began my interview with questions about salary. I tried not to throw out a number first, but she was good. (I mean, it's her job, right?) So, just be prepared to ask for what you want as early as this stage. There were also a couple of times when she wanted specific numbers/stats/etc. from my previous jobs as far as turnover rate, how many people I directly supervised, etc. so have those ready to go! The recruiter said she would contact me within 2 weeks if I made it to the next phase, but "will contact you whether you get it or not. You will still hear from us within those 2 weeks." This disheartened me, honestly, and after leaving the conversation I felt that I might have not made it to the next round.

However, 2 weeks later (exactly) the Store Manager called me to set up an in-person interview! The interview was held later that week and it went great. In my opinion, it's so much easier to speak with people face-to-face than over the phone! We talked about everything, ranging from basic retail experience, to why H&M is where I want to be, to how I'm used to running things, what my leadership style is, how much shipment I am used to handling (this is a fast fashion retailer so a lot of high-volume experience is necessary!) and lots more. The interview lasted about an hour or so, and I filled out a background check form at the end of the interview and was told I'd be called hopefully within the week.

I was called 5 days later to schedule a time for me to come in and be asked "a few more questions". At this point from my research on Glassdoor, I had a feeling (and was praying) that this would be when I would receive my offer. So, I had my salary negotiations, the last day I could work at my current job, and any other pending issues like that taken care of before I walked in. Turns out, I was right! I was offered the position. I asked for more money than what they usually offer for my position, and so the Store Manager said she would have to email about it and see if that's alright. I told her I want the job regardless, but to let me know what happens. I received a call from her less than an hour later saying that my pay was approved! I came in the next day to sign the official offer letter.

Interview Questions

• You say you lowered turnover rate significantly. Specifically, where was your turnover rate at when you began your role and where was it when you left?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2016.

Interview

*Updated!!* This is a lengthy review, but that's because there's not a lot of info out there and I want anyone who's looking for this specific position to get as much info as possible!

I applied for the department management position online and two weeks later I received an email from the district recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview about a week later and it took about 30 minutes. She first went over the company, the position, and what her role was. She then asked me what my availability was. After that she began to ask questions about my previous employment history and to tell her a little bit about myself. After that she went into more detail about herself and her role for the company. She said she had been there for about 9 years and all the great things about it.

After that, she went into some behavioral culture questions like, "tell me about a time you...." type of questions. The key to answering these is the STAR method.

I loved the girl that interviewed me, you could tell she was looking for someone who was a genuine fit and was focused more on your management style and who you are as a person. By the end, we were howling with laughter bonding over our kids and how that translates into management techniques.

I'm pretty sure I nailed the interview, and I attribute it mostly to the fact that I did my research (like firing off that I knew their business plan included looking to grow 10-15% annually, or that their first store was built in 1947 in Sweden and was just called Hennes). But, I have a genuine interest in working for the company and wanted to learn this stuff anyways.

After all of the questions, she said she was going to email me a background check form and that I would be called in about 2-3 days to set up my second interview!

I know that you have to go through 3 interviews and if you get a 4th, you pretty much have the job.

Wish me luck! I will update after my in person interview.

I'm getting called to schedule my second interview today, I was right in thinking it went well! Will update with more info.

******Update! I had my second interview with the store manager about 2 weeks ago. I came in and she explained a little more about the position and what it entailed. She asked me what my availability was like, if I was willing to travel for work and if I was able to relocate. We chatted about the store, my experience, and my management style. Overall it went really well. She told me she wasn't sure how long it would take to hear back from her district manager.

I got a call about two weeks later from the store manager and she told me to call the district manager on Friday because she wants to "chat with me". Not sure what that means, but we'll see! Fingers crossed. I'll update after.

**Update**
    Called the District Manager on Friday to "chat". It was a phone interview where she asked me some more questions about my job history and she asked me some more behavioral culture questions. It lasted about a half hour. She said that I will know for sure by next Friday. Fingers crossed everyone! I'll update when I find out. I know there are two other candidates besides me (thanks to a friend on the inside).

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time that you exhibited an entrepreneurial spirit to help maximize sales at your store.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at H&M (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

-Recruited for this role
    -Approached by regional HR manager who did the initial first interview
    -Had two second interviews with District and then Store manager
    -Took over 4 months to hear back on a decision

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you identify with the values of H & M?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H&M (Manassas, VA).

Interview

I filled out my application online, and got called that day. The DM went straight into questions so I wasn't exactly ready or prepped. I honestly, didn't know what was going on. Apparently I answered everything well and got set up for a in person interview.

Went into the store I was told to go to, met the store manager and some other guy, didn't know why he was in the room, but he was. The questions were really in depth, you must know your stuff for this position. If you've had no experience in management, save yourself the humiliation. I've had 4 years of management, and I DIDN'T qualify to be a Department Manager, they told me I was more fit for the Department Supervisor position. Which honestly, I'm okay with because it's full time. With that being said, H&M is very picky with whom they choose. I'm got called for my second interview, and usually that means good news but we will see!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at H&M (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I interviewed at H&M job fair the conduct every so often at a beautiful location in San Jose. There I interviewed with one of the recruiters and store manager of one of the San Jose locations. The both made me feel real comfortable, they both were approachable, and inspiring because they has both been with the company for 9+ years which speaks volumes these days. Anyways I felt the interview was a success it lasted about an hour or so we left agreeing I'd hear a follow up call from the recruiter in regards to placement and which store needs to fill the position of a department manager which was fine. Hadn't heard back from her (the recruiter) in 3 weeks so I figured I'd email her, she didn't respond until a week after letting me know she's still trying to find a good fit for me so I standby for a little while longer. It took me almost a month to get an in store interview. Which went okay, the store manager seemed like she hated her job and she wasn't really interested in interviewing me from the beginning. I felt like her mind was already made up after we had introduced ourselves. After the interview I could tell she was resisting on some paper work for me to sign so she avoided having me proceed with hiring by saying "my background check hasn't cleared or it wasn't in the system" some little white lie which I know wasn't accurate. So after the interview she said I should hear back from her in a week, it's been a little over three weeks now and no response. After applying and interviewing else where I get an email from my recruiter saying I had another in store interview which that store manager later told me that I was recommended for a position under what I was applying for which I was open to discuss. However wasn't willing to take, I've been working retail in large big box stores to flagships, warehouses, and small boutiques managing and developing; there was no way I would take a step back into my career considering how far I've gotten. It kind felt like a slap in the face. My whole interview process has taken almost two months now and I'm sort of over it and still haven't heard back from my recruiter or the store manager who said they'd get back to me with a decision and store. Kind of unprofessional if you ask me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time were you had to coach an employee and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach/coach someone who has poor attendance?   Answer Question
    • Why are you applying here at H&M?   Answer Question

Well I kind of got an offer but than it was taken back and then had to I interview again, didn't want the position they were offering because I'm far too over qualified and offered and never heard back from anyone.