H&M Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

H&M Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2017

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Department Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

Was contacted via e-mail to schedule a phone interview with recruiter. Phone interview was extremely in depth and not just a basic screening. Felt that the level of depth the questions went into would be better articulated in person. Also not sure why the organization doesn't trust the people running their stores to hire members of management. Felt that the recruiter was very accusatory when asking me why I had made decisions to resign from previous jobs. (Main reason for leaving my career was a domestic abuse related divorce and relocation.) Was asked why I didn't then return to my previous position after dealing with this. Proceeded to ask why I had left any other prior jobs as well and if I felt I had made the right choice...was extremely uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for H&M

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The overall experience was a joyful one. It consisted of a total of 4 interviews. The first was an over the phone interview with a recruiter that lasted an hour. The recruiter askedbin depth questions about my resume, job skills, coaching, pay and achievements. After the first initial interview I heard back less than a week later and was set up with a second in person interview. Upon arriving for interview I filled out a background check application. The interveiw was similar to the first. Only this time was in front of 3 H&M leaders in different roles/locations. Asked further questions about my experience, coaching style, what my current role oversees I.e direct reports, staff development, category management, merchandizing and sales and budgeting and scheduling. I passed the second interview and was scheduled for a third group interview amongst other candidates in similar roles or above. (They asked not to disclose this portion of the interview process), but I will say if you make it to this point, it will definitely be an experience you will enjoy, learn and grown from. Truly fun and challenging at the same time. After the group interview I was given a call back for a fourth interview. This interview was also my last. It was with the regional recruiting leader for the region I was applying for along with a second hand. Both parties interviewed me with questions regarding my journey throughout my career. What my skills are in my current role, coaching styles, how do I lead and new team to ensure success. Additional managerial/ leadership questions, and role clarity.
    In the end I got a call back about a week later...unfortunately for the position I was seeking I was a bit out of range as far as pay goes for H&M. I wasn't given a range they were willing to pay nor was I given a counter offer. But I was told had I asked for less money the definitely would have hired me! So overall a great experience and hopefully in the future I'll have another opportunity! Thanks

Interview Questions

• How do you conduct the growth of your team   Answer Question
    • What made you decide to apply for H&M?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had an opportunity with an associate who needed development   Answer Question
    • Where do you line up amongst your leadership team in your current role.?   Answer Question
    • What do you feel is your biggest achievement?   Answer Question
    • Whatvdobyou look for when hiring a candidate?   Answer Question
    • Do you oversee scheduling?   Answer Question
    • How do you manage payroll planning and expenses?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you had to coach someone in a hirer position than you   Answer Question
    • How do you build a high performing team   Answer Question
    • You just launched a new swimwear line, but due to incremental weather reasons sales are down what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Holiday season is here and need to place someone in a elevated temporary role. the individual you have in mind succeeds in all operational areas except team development...what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Sales are down but traffic is up. whats the problem/ resolution   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at H&M (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied for department Manager position on July 7 received a call on July 10 for a phone interview on July 11th. Phone interview was an about 45 mins long. Ask a lot of in-depth questions about work history and management style. Rate of pay and how many people you have managed. After the interview was over the interviewer told me I should hear back from the district manager for an second interview. About week later I received a email setting up an in person interview. Had interview on July 19 first thing when I walked in filled out background check form. Was told this would be a group or multiple people interviewing but it was only myself when I arrived. Interview lasted about an hour to hour and a half. Ask same question as in phone interview and more. Be prepared to answer questions like what’s the current trend. What or who influences you. Work history. Interview was pretty easy just have to be honest about how you lead. After interview was over i was told I would be hearing back after my background came back and the district manager told me there would be a group interview in the next couple weeks. Received a call on July 21 with background coming back clear and setting up second in person interview group (activity). Currently scheduled for this Thursday. Will be updating with more information after interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H&M (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter was not very welcoming and natural conversationist. I also found it odd that he did not allow me a chance to ask him questions about the position - which I feel is the norm for any job. In the end I never got an email or phone call that I wasn't a good candidate for the position. Nothing...

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Little Rock, AR) in April 2017.

Interview

-Applied for H&M New Location On February 14,2017

-Received and email on February 22, 2017 to email the regional recruitment manager to set up a phone interview.

-Phone Interview was schedule for March 6, 2017, I was asked basic quetions about my retail management experience, She asked me about KPI's, Shrinkage, Customer Service, Merchandising and Freight Control.She then asked me if she could schedule and in person interview with the District Recruiter

-2nd Interview Took Place On March 16, 2017, I was asked the same questions. This time I was asked to go more in debt with my answers. (Make sure you are familiar with your resume). I was asked alot of work related questions that I listed on my resume. Immediately once this interview was over he told me he wanted to move me on to phase 3. I was asked to complete the background check form.

-On March 24, 2017 I was emailed and told that my background check came back clear, and I was asked to have a final interview with the District Sales Manager at the recruitment fair H&M was hosting for the new store that was opening in the area.

April 6, 2017 Recruitment fair. I talked with the District Sales Manager for maybe 15 minutes and she loved me, she gave me an offer I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a goal, you have set for yourself and how did you accomplish that goal.   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

Applied for department manager; Received a call for a phone interview from the store manager; No one called at specified time; Called several times to find out what happened; Did interview several hours after scheduled time all do to my follow-up and persistence; Met with another store manager at a different location; He convinced me that the job was perfect (I really wanted to work with him); Passed me to a final in-person interview with the store manager of the location who did my phone interview; I showed up 15 minutes before, and she was not there; interview started almost 25 minutes late; At the end of the interview, I was offered the position, but it was now called a "Department Supervisor"; Started my training 2 weeks later, and found out that it was not the same position but a position 1 level lower

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at H&M (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a long process. I initially applied in Feb and I got the offer in June. I went though 5 different interviews including an hour phone call as the firts interview, Followed by an open house/ one on one interview with the potentioal store manager and HR member for the district, then a group assessment ( activity), followed by which was supposed to be an offer interview with the store Manager, followed by another offer min interview

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at H&M in February 2017.

Interview

I flew in for an interview and never heard back. The least they could do after I paid for a plane fare across the country is let me know I didn't get the position, instead they left we wondering for weeks until I decided I didn't get it. I have interviewed with them a second time as well and had several phone interviews with recruiters, gone to hiring events, etc. They really jerk you around and make you jump through a lot of hoops just to not be interested. I should add that at the time I already had this same title with another company.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you have received negative feedback from your employer and what was your response.   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in January 2017.

Interview

Upon first speaking to the recruiter I was told that I would have 2 phone interviews then an in person interview with someone local (I was applying from out of state). But it never happened. I did 3 phone interviews. And I believe that I was out-casted due to the fact I was out of state, out of mind.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in an applicant?   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M in January 2017.

Interview

Had a great phone interview with the recruiter which made me very excited about the company, saying they valued people and believed in treating them well. Second interview with another recruiter was similar with a lot of great information about the company culture. About two weeks went by and then the first recruiter called to set up an interview with the store manager. We agreed on 2pm on that Friday. 2pm came and went and the store manager did not call, after 45 minutes I called her and she said "oh I had a conference call and I got busy. We proceeded to have the interview anyway though she was very distracted and scattered. Another week went by and I called to follow up. She replied she was in a meeting and would call me right back. I never heard from her again. Very unprofessional and disappointing after the recruiter had made the company seem better than that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you coached an employee to be successful   Answer Question