H&M Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

H&M Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.2

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in January 2017.

Interview

Upon first speaking to the recruiter I was told that I would have 2 phone interviews then an in person interview with someone local (I was applying from out of state). But it never happened. I did 3 phone interviews. And I believe that I was out-casted due to the fact I was out of state, out of mind.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in an applicant?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for H&M

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2016.

Interview

*Updated!!* This is a lengthy review, but that's because there's not a lot of info out there and I want anyone who's looking for this specific position to get as much info as possible!

I applied for the department management position online and two weeks later I received an email from the district recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. I had the phone interview about a week later and it took about 30 minutes. She first went over the company, the position, and what her role was. She then asked me what my availability was. After that she began to ask questions about my previous employment history and to tell her a little bit about myself. After that she went into more detail about herself and her role for the company. She said she had been there for about 9 years and all the great things about it.

After that, she went into some behavioral culture questions like, "tell me about a time you...." type of questions. The key to answering these is the STAR method.

I loved the girl that interviewed me, you could tell she was looking for someone who was a genuine fit and was focused more on your management style and who you are as a person. By the end, we were howling with laughter bonding over our kids and how that translates into management techniques.

I'm pretty sure I nailed the interview, and I attribute it mostly to the fact that I did my research (like firing off that I knew their business plan included looking to grow 10-15% annually, or that their first store was built in 1947 in Sweden and was just called Hennes). But, I have a genuine interest in working for the company and wanted to learn this stuff anyways.

After all of the questions, she said she was going to email me a background check form and that I would be called in about 2-3 days to set up my second interview!

I know that you have to go through 3 interviews and if you get a 4th, you pretty much have the job.

Wish me luck! I will update after my in person interview.

I'm getting called to schedule my second interview today, I was right in thinking it went well! Will update with more info.

******Update! I had my second interview with the store manager about 2 weeks ago. I came in and she explained a little more about the position and what it entailed. She asked me what my availability was like, if I was willing to travel for work and if I was able to relocate. We chatted about the store, my experience, and my management style. Overall it went really well. She told me she wasn't sure how long it would take to hear back from her district manager.

I got a call about two weeks later from the store manager and she told me to call the district manager on Friday because she wants to "chat with me". Not sure what that means, but we'll see! Fingers crossed. I'll update after.

**Update**
    Called the District Manager on Friday to "chat". It was a phone interview where she asked me some more questions about my job history and she asked me some more behavioral culture questions. It lasted about a half hour. She said that I will know for sure by next Friday. Fingers crossed everyone! I'll update when I find out. I know there are two other candidates besides me (thanks to a friend on the inside).

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time that you exhibited an entrepreneurial spirit to help maximize sales at your store.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H&M (Manassas, VA).

Interview

I filled out my application online, and got called that day. The DM went straight into questions so I wasn't exactly ready or prepped. I honestly, didn't know what was going on. Apparently I answered everything well and got set up for a in person interview.

Went into the store I was told to go to, met the store manager and some other guy, didn't know why he was in the room, but he was. The questions were really in depth, you must know your stuff for this position. If you've had no experience in management, save yourself the humiliation. I've had 4 years of management, and I DIDN'T qualify to be a Department Manager, they told me I was more fit for the Department Supervisor position. Which honestly, I'm okay with because it's full time. With that being said, H&M is very picky with whom they choose. I'm got called for my second interview, and usually that means good news but we will see!

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

It is at least a five step process for management hires. Also you may or may not interview with the store you will end up working at. Additionally there is a culture that looks down on and treats outside hires less than employees who are promoted within. Interviews with members of the district team are really great and you also have to critique them on how they conduct the interview and give them feedback. In the interview process for management they will really sell you on the company, promotions and benefits.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kota Bharu (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at H&M (Kota Bharu (Malaysia)) in May 2016.

Interview

Received an invitation to attend an interview after a week i applied. I wear jeans, shirt & casual blazer to the interview. 1st session, 18 of us were divided into 2 groups. We received instruction to fold cloths, display cloths & at the same time being approached by 4 of the h&m team who asked question about related situation, i.e. 'excuse me, i bought this shirt last week, but i don't like it. Can i return?' or a situation were a daughter ask for help because her mother is sick. It's more on doing multitask, at the same time receiving instructions & excuting it with team work. 2nd session only left 8 of us. Given a writing test about budget vs actual analysis and SWOT analysis. After finished the test, had to explained about the analysis to 1 of the h&m team. Again divided into 2 groups, have 4 situation given to us, discuss how to solve & present. The h&m team also asked a lot of questions during the presentation. Interview finished, went back & waited for the invitation for next session. However, received email saying that i didn't make it. Disappointed :(

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nicosia (Cyprus)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at H&M (Nicosia (Cyprus)) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruitment center. The process took about 2 weeks after i apllied. The first stage is a phone interview were they basically want to know briefly your work experience, the position you are interested in and a brief discussion about your salary expectations. About one week later they've contacted me about an interview with the hr manager and two people from the recruitment center but they did not participate in the interview, they were just taking notes.The interview took 30-40 minutes and they want to test your knowledge on being a manager, what exactly did you do in your previous job, how many people did you supervise, what tools did you use ( reports etc) and the reason you want to leave or left your previous job. They also ask about your visual knowledge on knowing how to set up a department. After the interview was finished they asked me if i was ok to participate in a group assessment.
    One week later i went in the assessment with 5 other people were basically they want to test how well you are interrupting with other people. we had 5 exercises, 3 of them were discussions within the group, were they wanted to test whether you are a team player or not. In the last exercise we had to give wach other feedback based on the hour we spend together and we had to give each other two positive and two negative comments regarding our performance. After the assesment was over they interviewed each of us asking us about our opinion about the assessment, whether we did well or not and who we would suggest from our group to be hired. Finally about our salary expectations.
    Hope this was helpful :)

Interview Questions

• In retail we use direct and indirect ways to approach the customer. What indirect ways would you use?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at H&M (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview-20 minutes. Recruiter talked a lot about how he rose in company ranks and why H &M was a growing company. Then discussed my resume and management style

In person interview in store with another HR regional rep. 20 minutes
    Talked about my visual process and management style again, with situational questions about how I would hand the following scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to overcome a barrier in your store, and what was the final outcome of the conflict.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to create an action plan in your store, and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    • Would you be willing to relocate to do your store training for three months.   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in February 2015.

Interview

Online questionaire (I have applied twice with the same experience and same answers yet was only contacted once)
    Telephone interview
    Face to face Interview
    They ask similar questions throughout the process, looking for consistency.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H&M (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2013.

Interview

applied online

Interview Questions

• what do you think we are looking for in a department manager at h&m   1 Answer