H&M Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.8

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H&M (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I'm going to make this short. There were 3 interviews: the phone interview was basic then I was invited for a 2nd interview with the Visual Manager which was also basic. I had to pull clothes inspired by a look book she gave me, easy. After the 2nd interview I was invited for a 3rd interview with a group. The 3rd interview was a joke. With my 7+ years in visuals this was a wasted of time, not because they didn't offer me the job, but you are next to your competition, and I know that they decided who they were going to hire in the first 10 mins but they had you go through 5 rounds of jumping through hoops. The last two rounds they were just having fun with us, telling us to critique each other.

They said, "this is not the Hunger Games..." but it was clear it was and it was disgusting how they thought this was an effective.

I'm in my 30's and I have worked with top designers in New York and department stores. I only applied here because I was working in another field and want to get back into visuals. I'm glad I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember what all the rounds consisted of but I do remember:
      Build a castle with Legos and keeping the ball moving, Pull clothes for a window, Write 3 positive and 3 negatives attributes of the person next to you.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Livingston, NJ).

Interview

I met with the store manager and the assistant store manager. We went to the back room of the store, and they asked me various questions about my experiences with customer service, cash handling, and my communication skills with coworkers.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to give a manager feedback, and how did you approach the situation?   Answer Question

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in January 2017.

Interview

Upon first speaking to the recruiter I was told that I would have 2 phone interviews then an in person interview with someone local (I was applying from out of state). But it never happened. I did 3 phone interviews. And I believe that I was out-casted due to the fact I was out of state, out of mind.

Interview Questions

• What do you look for in an applicant?   1 Answer

Department Manager Interview

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M in January 2017.

Interview

Had a great phone interview with the recruiter which made me very excited about the company, saying they valued people and believed in treating them well. Second interview with another recruiter was similar with a lot of great information about the company culture. About two weeks went by and then the first recruiter called to set up an interview with the store manager. We agreed on 2pm on that Friday. 2pm came and went and the store manager did not call, after 45 minutes I called her and she said "oh I had a conference call and I got busy. We proceeded to have the interview anyway though she was very distracted and scattered. Another week went by and I called to follow up. She replied she was in a meeting and would call me right back. I never heard from her again. Very unprofessional and disappointing after the recruiter had made the company seem better than that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you coached an employee to be successful   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

Phone interview first, pretty basic questions. Face to face interview, learns more about your work history, lets you ask questions about the company and position. Store interview, asks you about the windows, the mannequins, your work experience again.

Part Time Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Applied Online. 3 weeks later I recieved an email telling me they were interested and to call the manager of the store. I called him, set up the interview for the next day. Went into the interview, waiting around for a while before they came and got me. Interview took about 30 minutes or so. He wrote down basically every word I said. Pretty sure he wrote down my volunteering experience as a job, which I hope does not affect my background check. Did all the paperwork for the background check, and then was emailed an hour later due to them not putting down my birth date, and needing that information. Was told the background check takes about a week so now I am just waiting to hear back. Overall, great interview. I am 19, so my experience is limited but hopefully doesn't make me unqualified.

Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I filled out on line form, waited 2 weeks to hear back. They scheduled a phone interview with me. The interview would not even take place if I did not have full weekend availability and work 2 midnight closing shifts a week. Person at H&M was very nice, but firm about the shifts and that if my availability changes to get back to them. Unfortunately, I was looking to have this job balance another job that I already have.

Interview Questions

• My availability. They are filling certain shifts, not flexible at this time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Westminster, CO) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a series of interviews at the H&M I applied at. The first interview was a phone interview which lasted about 15 minutes long. When that was done I was asked to come into the store for another interview. I went in to that interview, and it lasted about 30 minutes. The lady seemed to really like me and my responses to her questions. At the end of that interview she made me fill out some paperwork for a background check. A week or so after that interview, I was called again because the background check cleared and they wanted to talk to me again in person, and I was also told they would make their decision. Again I went in for the interview and thought I did pretty well with my interview. At the end of this 3rd interview I was asked to step out of the room so the two interviewers could talk. I thought they were making their decision, but instead, when they came out of the room and they said they would want me to come in for another interview. Apparently they were just discussing times for me to come into the store...that's what I was told anyway. The two ladies told me I'd receive a call later that day to set up a time for that interview. I waited the rest of the day, the day after that, and actually didn't hear from anyone until a week after I had my 3rd interview. And when I say I "heard" from someone I mean I received an email from the company saying I wasn't hired instead of talking from an actual person.

I'm very disappointed in their hiring process. It seems rather lengthy and too intense for a store that sells cheap clothes and isn't high end at all.

Interview Questions

• Scenario questions....how would I handle a yelling customer, who would I help first, how do I handle conflict with another employee.   Answer Question

Regional Transportation Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington Township, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Burlington Township, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview by recruiter, second phone interview to schedule face to face. Arrived at interview was told they screwed up and rescheduled for next week. When I returned they had forgotten again Never heard from them again. Totally UNPROFESSIONAL they should be embarrassed

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daytona Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Daytona Beach, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied on their career website. A few days later I received a phone call where I conducted a phone interview. Several days after that, I scheduled an in person interview with a department manager and store manager. They said they would submit my background check, and call me when it clears!