H&R Block Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

H&R Block Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview Questions

Updated Jan 10, 2017

1.6

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online right before the holidays and got a call for an interview with the District Manager after the New Year. Extremely easy interview. She asked about what I was currently doing for work, what jobs I had held in the past, and if I had gone to college. Then she read a few questions off a piece of paper, gave me a brief description of the job, asked about my availability, and offered me a job on the spot. Honestly, just smile, have a pleasant demeanor, and the job is yours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the best customer experience you had in a past job.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about an achievement from a past job.   Answer Question
  • Are you bilingual?   1 Answer
  • Do you have accounting or marketing experience?   1 Answer
  • Can you work weekends?   1 Answer
  • Can you work at any location in town?   1 Answer
  • Have you worked with Excel? Tell me about a project you've completed with it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (West Palm Beach, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

There was an interview over the phone with the regional manager, once you pass that you interview with 2 managers in person. After you are referred back to the regional manager or let go. This process is very slow though, you are told you will be called within a 24 hour period but I didn't get a call till a week later.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in your last job to increase revenue or make processes quicker ?   Answer Question
    • Explain what you did in your last job.   Answer Question

Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block in November 2015.

Interview

I applied in October and received an interview the next month. I had to sign up for the interview online along with a few other people. It was easy and it had basic questions. Make sure you always do research on the company that you're trying to work for and go over interview questions so you'll be prepared and confident in the answers you give. Be confident and always talk about taking care and keeping the customers first.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emerson, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Emerson, NJ) in January 2015.

Interview

I stopped into an office, asked to speak to the manager. She was not there at the time, but I left my contact information and we did set up an interview for the following Sunday.

Interview Questions

• I asked if I could test out (show my knowledge) for a First Year Tax Professional and she told me no.

I declined the offer because I felt the salary was too low. I asked if they could offer more - the answer was no.

The hours were very flexible - i.e. any hours the office was open were available (P/T and F/T)
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2014.

Interview

The test that they give is ridiculous it takes like an hour to do and you can't leave for a second. Then they call you for interview and they like you they hire you always short staffed.

Interview Questions

• Mainly in the application the questions about the drawers I had to read a few times to understand. They also ask alot of the same questions multiple times in different ways.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fullerton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Fullerton, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got a call 5-6 days later for an interview in Fullerton. I was brought in and had to wait a few minutes for my interviewer who was very nice. She asked a few questions about my customer service experience and how I handle projects then explained what the job would be like. I was then asked what office I could work, about my availability, and told when training was. Training is 3 days and 3 hours each day. They were very nice.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult. Ask about how to deal with an irate customer or if you've ever had to deal with one. Just be positive, smile, and don't be nervous. Also asked what my major in college was and what I want to do after college.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation since I have no experience. Pay is $8 /hr and I'm working part time.

Anonymous Employee in Brook Park, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Brook Park, OH) in January 2013.

Interview

Hiring and Interview process was relatively simple: I filled out an online application and received an email invite to come to a district office to interview. The interview was brief and mostly focused on prior customer service/retail experience. After the interview, I was immediately offered the position and was registered for a training session two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to customer service- what are two or three things you strive for when you are assisting a client?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Roseville, MN) in December 2012.

Interview

I received an automated email inviting me to interview chose from a list of times. The office had a very strong smoke odor. The interview was short and I was very disappointed by the low pay of $8.50/hr.

They don't openly tell you much about the job, so come prepared with questions. I'm glad I read this site first so I was prepared for the low pay. Even though it's temporary they are paying experienced people a wage for a 16 year old. My son makes more than this at a local grocery store. Only take this job if you have no other prospects because it's unlikely you will make much money here because they may only schedule you 4 hours week. They also expect you to travel to more than one office locally which is an added drawback for this job.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions, why do you want to work here, what would you do in a specific senerio.   Answer Question

Low pay, the mall pays better! The only way they'd increase the pay is if I spoke Spanish. No guarantee of hours, could be scheduled as little as 4 hours week. I had to ask about this because they don't willing tell you the position even though temporary can also be very few hours which would not be worth it for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stafford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Stafford, CT) in December 2012.

Interview

I answered an ad on Craigslist for the position and applied via e-mail, the office manager was quick to get back to me. The interview was in the office pre-season, so it was empty. This was less of an interview and more of a run-down of requirements. She constantly reminded me that the job was temporary, and did not seem impressed with my customer service experience or education.

When the time came for me to ask questions, I had asked about client volume, which was answered with a scoff. The interviewer did not believe that to be a valid question and responded with "900 clients during the whole season, you do the math".

During the interview (and in my subsequent rejection e-mail sent out Christmas Eve (ouch))she was disappointed in my lack of tax experience, but in no way made it clear in the posting that it was required or desired. She did not think of the receptionist position as entry-level.

Interview Questions

• What made you answer an ad on Craigslist for a job, when you know full well that it was a temporary one?   Answer Question

Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at H&R Block in December 2012.

Interview

The first interview was a one-on-one interview. After that you had to attend a class and do testing after the class. Then you had to wait until the tax season began for your first day of work.

Interview Questions

• What are your best attributes in a sales position?   1 Answer