H&R Block District Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

H&R Block District Manager Interview Questions

3.2

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

Rec'd call from HR dept that I would be interviewing with Regional manager. Was asked typical HR questions at first nothing creative or challenging, expected more. But superficial was the tone, nothing that would have given them insight into my ability as a leader. Was told I could ask questions. When I started asking specific questions relating to the goals of district, my targets, and company overall goals, I got blank stares and lots of "corporate koolaid rhetoric". I only had 6 minutes to ask my questions then was told my time was up, they had other candidates waiting. Guess you shouldn't challenge answers or ask too much.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to accomplish a goal with little or no funds?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for H&R Block

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

The face to face interviews are panel interview. All interviews use situational based questions, "tell me about a time when". Your answers should be in the STAR format, tell them the situation, the task, the action you took and the results. DO NOT tell them what you would do, you have to tell them about the specific thing you did do.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were able to improve a process   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

The Interview process was very professional, I met with the Regional Director as well as with 2 other District managers. 2 separate panel interviews. Each with 1 District manager and the Regional Director. It was very interactive and I was given plenty of opportunities to ask questions delve into the company & position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Lexington, KY) in August 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter followed by a face to face with the Regional Director (with another RD on skype) and another face to face with two district managers during the same session. RD's asked typical behavioral interview questions. DM's asked vague, non behavioral interview based questions. I was then contacted to do a phone interview with another HR manager who told me I would hear back by the end of the week which didn't happen. When I sent an email to HR to find out the status I was told "I was on her to do list but she's been really busy and they had gone another direction". How hard is it to send a simple email especially after a candidate has gone through 3 rounds of interviews? I knew the HR manager was unorganized as she called me twice the first day to set up the initial interview and it was clear the second time she had no idea she had already called me earlier that day and established an interview for the next day.

Initial recruiter knew very little about the organization. Some company locations are open year round. When I asked her to explain the staffing model she said they had no employees that worked in the off season in the district. Really? Who staffs your locations that remain open by appointment only then?

Company seems to be going through a transition. HR manager said they didn't have a sales culture when she joined and it was almost forbidden to talk about sales as most retail organizations do but that is evolving.

Interview Questions

• What's an accomplishment that you're most proud of that we haven't already discussed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Salt Lake City, UT) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process was professional and detailed. The questions were around the behavorioral process. I am friends with the Regional Manager so it was easy. I side stepped a lot of what would normally been required.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you dealt with a difficult leader? What was the situation and the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very professional and simple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Whittier, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H&R Block (Whittier, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

You must complete an online application. I got an e-mail asking for my resume and what time to interview. The interview was 45 minutes with two current District Managers. The questions were scripted and fairly easy to anticipate. Such as: Give an example when you were able to increase revenue. What did you do? What do you dislike about your current job? How do you hold your staff accountable? How would you handle an upset customer? What would you do if an employee was not meeting expectations?

Interview Questions

• The question about what do I not like about my current job was tough. I was afraid I might say the wrong thing.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Miami, FL) in September 2013.

Interview

1-phone screen
    2-face to face panel and gauntlet interviews about 4 in 1 day
    3-face to face panel with same people except new RVP was there.
    4-she looked at me like I killed her 1st born, asked same questions as other people except a lot less maybe 7 minutes tops........ said that was enough..... and I didn't get job...

Interview Questions

• What was a big mistake I made and what happened   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (New Orleans, LA) in May 2013.

Interview

The first step was being contacted by the recruiter and going over some highlights of the job expectations and my previous work experience.
    They then forwarded the application to the hiring manager for review.
    The recruiter contacted me several days later to set up the first interview. This interview was with two regional directors and another district manager.
    About two weeks later the recruiter contacted me again to have another interview. This interview was a good drive away to a neighboring district where I interviewed with two other district managers fairly informally and briefly.
    Another week passed and the recruiter contacted me again with a job offer.
    All of this was done in May, after all of the tax offices were closed. I received my job offer the first week in June and had my first day with my supervisor the first week in July.

The process itself was not difficult. Intimidating certainly, with such panels of interviewers.
    The most difficult process was the assessment test before the recruiter.
    Not only was it a typical assessment of personality, but there was also a "true life" scenario of emails, phone calls, and math, that you were timed on and scored based on accuracy and speed.
    It was a challenge!

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were very practical and focused on skills and experience. No weird, "what kind of animal would you be," types of questions.
      Each interviewer did have a packet of questions to select from as well as a few of their own.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Nashville, TN) in October 2011.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter for initial screening. Normal behavior based interview questions to determine if candidate it likely to succeed. If the HR rep feels confident the candidate is addressing the issues in STAR format with pragmatic solutions this will likely result in solicitation of additional information about previous job history to qualify candidate for 2nd interview for consideration.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you find it difficult to work with an associate who was not following instructions you provided, and what you did to overcome this challenge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at H&R Block (Chicago, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

The interview process was quite lengthy. I first was contacted and interviewed by the Recruiter, then a panel interview of four people. Two DM's, and 2 Regional Directors. After making past that round you are called by the Market Vice President, and finally a final phone call with the Regional HR Director. After that it took an additional week or two to begin the actual hiring process. Overall it wasn't bad.....but it did take a long time. Once they job offered me I had to go through a background check prior to starting. They also hire a third party company to validate your references and employment verification. I believe they also ran a credit check.

Interview Questions

• There were no questions that were out of the ordinary. They were mostly behavioral based questions...."tell me about a time when" ETC   Answer Question