H&R Block Interview Questions | Glassdoor

H&R Block Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.6

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block.

Interview

Rec'd call from HR dept that I would be interviewing with Regional manager. Was asked typical HR questions at first nothing creative or challenging, expected more. But superficial was the tone, nothing that would have given them insight into my ability as a leader. Was told I could ask questions. When I started asking specific questions relating to the goals of district, my targets, and company overall goals, I got blank stares and lots of "corporate koolaid rhetoric". I only had 6 minutes to ask my questions then was told my time was up, they had other candidates waiting. Guess you shouldn't challenge answers or ask too much.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to accomplish a goal with little or no funds?   1 Answer

Front Desk Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at H&R Block (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

I arrived 15 min. early, waited on interviewer. Went her office and set down across the table from her. She ask me what experience I had in the field. She told me the work hours and pay. She ask me about my resume details She thanked me for coming and said she still had interviews the rest of the week and would be in touch. I thanked her and left.

E-File Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and told me about the position. She said I'm seemed qualify, she answered my questions via email. She sent me a link to apply and I applied. She set up a time and she called saying I didn't need to have a ton of experience just a basic understanding of taxes and that my experiences seemed great. She scheduled a phone interview for me and the hiring manager who was a horrible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experiences.   1 Answer

District General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2016.

Interview

Two separate interviews for one scheduled - first by a current DGM, then by two Regional Managers. Standard corporate questions mixed with a conversational interview style. The first interview was very brief, the second was longer and more involved but I didn't think either was particularly difficult. They told me they'd reach out within two weeks. I was then contacted by a recruiter to assess my interest in a similar position in another location for which I had no interest.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to get much accomplished on little to no budget.   Answer Question

Client Services Professional and Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (West Palm Beach, FL) in December 2015.

Interview

There was an interview over the phone with the regional manager, once you pass that you interview with 2 managers in person. After you are referred back to the regional manager or let go. This process is very slow though, you are told you will be called within a 24 hour period but I didn't get a call till a week later.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in your last job to increase revenue or make processes quicker ?   Answer Question
    • Explain what you did in your last job.   Answer Question

FIRST YEAR TAX PROFESSIONAL Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H&R Block (East Haven, CT) in November 2015.

Interview

It was during the course of tax preparer , Came a single person ask us questions before finishing the course, We talked about the possibilities of finding a place of work for me but they didn't call me yet

District General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at H&R Block (Pasadena, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Hr interview and 2 hour long interviews. They asked the basic questions. Two people for the first interview and the second interview had 3 people The HR phone interview was more difficult. After Hr interview they asked you to wait for an email from another HR person. I had a great time they were very nice people

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&R Block (Lexington, KY) in August 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen with recruiter followed by a face to face with the Regional Director (with another RD on skype) and another face to face with two district managers during the same session. RD's asked typical behavioral interview questions. DM's asked vague, non behavioral interview based questions. I was then contacted to do a phone interview with another HR manager who told me I would hear back by the end of the week which didn't happen. When I sent an email to HR to find out the status I was told "I was on her to do list but she's been really busy and they had gone another direction". How hard is it to send a simple email especially after a candidate has gone through 3 rounds of interviews? I knew the HR manager was unorganized as she called me twice the first day to set up the initial interview and it was clear the second time she had no idea she had already called me earlier that day and established an interview for the next day.

Initial recruiter knew very little about the organization. Some company locations are open year round. When I asked her to explain the staffing model she said they had no employees that worked in the off season in the district. Really? Who staffs your locations that remain open by appointment only then?

Company seems to be going through a transition. HR manager said they didn't have a sales culture when she joined and it was almost forbidden to talk about sales as most retail organizations do but that is evolving.

Interview Questions

• What's an accomplishment that you're most proud of that we haven't already discussed?   Answer Question

Tax Accountant Interview

Interview

I was so anxious. There were a lot of questions. The interview questions ranged from, "What have you learned from previous jobs that helped prepare you for this opportunity?" and "What did you like/dislike about your last job?" to "Have you ever had to work as part of a group?" and "How would you handle a customer complaint?"

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself? Why did you leave last employer?   Answer Question

Seasonal Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clarksville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at H&R Block (Clarksville, TN) in July 2015.

Interview

It was relaxed and more like a conversation. Interviewer was easy to relate and talk to. She gave an overview of the company and a typical work day. She described what was to be expected.