HARMAN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

2.8

108 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HARMAN.

Interview

1. Applied resume
    2. HR interview by phone
    3. Site Interview
    HR asked my salary after basic questions. I don't know why they ask current salary.
    1. Are you familiar with Harman?
    2. Why are you looking or open to leave current position?
    3. What would you ideal position?
    4. Legal right to work in US?
    5. What are you looking for in your next role personally?
    6. Why Harman?
    7. How would your peers?
    8. What do you consider your most valuable skill?
    9. 6 or 7 questions summarise your experience of job

My opinion:
    Why they ask reason leave current position? Are they want liar?
    And not much good job area and condition.
    Disappointed Harman.
    Anyway thanks for refused my job applying.
    I don't want liar looks like car sale man.
    Good luck Harman! Samsung management will come soon.

Interview Questions

• why leave your current position?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

1st round Phone interview, about 30 minutes. The interviewer described the company and position a little then asked mostly behavioral with some technical explanation of projects. Curious about java and c/c++ experience. Ask for availability and if I was interested in a spring intern position as well and not just summer. Waiting for a second interview possibly..

Cyber Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview for about 15 minutes about what is encryption, what school do I attend, etc. Then, i was granted an interview which was with the highest manager in the connected car dept (questions like what classes I took, what do I know about the connected car dept., and what was one of my projects about). From there the requirements manager and an employee interviewed me with questions like, if I competed in capture the Flag, what do I want to be asked that will say the most about me, and other cyber security questions. Lastly, I had a 15 minutes interview with an HR manager who asked basic questions. I wasn't given a position for this internship.

Interview Questions

• What do u like about cyber security?   1 Answer

Cyber Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

First had a phone call with an HR rep, just went through my background. Second call was with a hiring manager, he asked me in depth specifics about my background, projects, and experience. Did not ask any technical questions related to cyber security.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied to a position on the company website and received an email from HR recruiter within minutes. I was super excited as I thought I was just a perfect fit for the position due to various specifics of the job and me possessing those necessary skills. HR recruiter/talent acquisition person asked me when I was available for a phone interview with her and we talked the next day. It went very well and she seems like a professional in what she was doing. She told me she would talk to a hiring manager who happened to be in Germany and would follow up with me. I waited and waited and waited...2 weeks goes by and send the recruiter a follow up email, no response followed. I waited another week and called her and ended up leaving a voice message, no response followed. After another week, I connected with another HR recruiter on LinkedIn and I tried to get some answers to my questions, nothing from that person either. In every situation, I was very professional and polite, which I cannot tell about the people on the Harman HR side. I just find the people who I dealt with very unprofessional and disrespectful. I think people who work for this amazing and innovating company could do a better job.Very disappointed.

Director, Customer Service & Quality, Americas Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Northridge, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online, spoke with a recruiter and then had an interview with the hiring manager. I have to say that I applied knowing that I lacked a few of the basic requirements for the position so knew this was a stretch to begin with. Overall I have to say the process was well managed, appointments were scheduled quickly and followup and feedback was very quick. All in all, despite not having received a job offer I have to say Harman managed it very well.

Senior Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HARMAN (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Just to clarify - I had scheduled a phone interview with this HR person. In the morning of day we were supposed to have the phone interview, she sent me an email asking me when I was available for a phone interview. I was already confused at this point. Then one hour before the interview, she sent me another email, saying that the position was canceled. I immediately called her but no one picked up. Left her a voice mail and sent her an email trying to follow up. For the next couple of hours, I called her several more times, but still no one answered. Just don't understand how such a large company's HR department could operate this way. I believe it's a courtesy to simply call back the candidate and explain the situation politely.

Engineering Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied through the company website; phone screen interview and 2 days of on-site interview. The recruiter did not provide any feedback, until I received the auto-generated email 8 weeks after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your salary expectations and/or current salary?   Answer Question

Payroll Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HARMAN in May 2016.

Interview

Phone call interview. Not what I expected but the lady was nice and professional. Everything got set up through email but I was informed that the hiring manager decided to give the position to someone internal. I see the position is still open, so I don't think I was told the truth... A bit disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Why I was moving back to CA, what programs I used, how many employees I process payroll for. She described to me what the position consisted of.   Answer Question

Manager, Global Learning Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online in early Feb. Received an email expressing interest and followed up to schedule a phone interview. Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager (in Germany) and was told they were on an aggressive timeline, looking to make a quick hiring decision and were excited about my prospects. I had a 2nd interview the next day with another contact in India. That went well, so I had a phone interview with HR in California. Then they scheduled me for two in-person interviews at the office in Novi - one with a potential colleague and the 2nd with an HR Director. In all, 5 interviews that first week. Plus several friendly email exchanges and follow-up calls from HR in California to verify how the interviews were going. I was very impressed that first week. The office in Novi is beautiful and everyone was organized, friendly and efficient. At the end of the interviews in Novi, I was told they had one more week of interviews and would reach a decision in 2 weeks.

This is where it all goes downhill. I wait 7 days before emailing to confirm the 2 week timeframe is still the plan. No response. I wait another week and reach out again, referencing my previous inquiry. I'm told they'll get back to me the following week. The following week: nothing. I follow up and am told one more week. Again, nothing. Finally I get a phone call. I'm told this is an important position and it's "only been posted for 9 weeks", that I need to be patient (despite the expectation THEY set, that it was an aggressive timeline and a decision would be reached much sooner). I'm ***promised*** they will know within 3 days and to expect a call. That doesn't happen. I notice the position is no longer posted. I email HR and cc the hiring manager, which prompts a return call from HR. The HR rep in CA confirms they went with another candidate and she is busy. (Again, then don't promise to call back in 3 days).

All-in-all the process was too drawn-out. The way I was treated as a candidate was disrespectful and inconsiderate. Harman not honoring their communication left me managing my team unconventionally throughout the process so that I was prepared to give notice at any point. If Harman had said the process would take 4-6 weeks, I would have been able to take on projects in the meantime. Stringing me along 1 week at a time with a false sense of urgency left me in a super awkward position at my current role.

Advice to HR: If you aren't interested in a candidate, don't string them along. We have other jobs to do and/or other offers to pursue. Honor the timelines and communication promises you make to candidates. The first week was awesome - if you had actually made a decision within 2 weeks as communicated - for or against me - this would have been a 5 star review. Be consistently kind. The last few weeks of interactions were inconsiderate and rude. Don't lie. I asked how many candidates the decision was down to and was told, "there's no way of knowing, it's a complicated position and we are looking for a particular skill set". Really? I'd rather hear: "Two, and you're our second pick due to___[salary expectations, relocation,...]. If the first choice declines, we'll be in touch. He/She has 48hrs to accept our offer."