HARMAN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2017

2.9

279 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HARMAN.

Interview

Phone interview at beginning. One week later an in person interview. The in person interview lasted a half day. Met with the hiring manager. Met with several of the staff that would be peers. Interview with each person was different in terms of content. Found the staff and hiring manager to be professional.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at HARMAN (Dallas, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview was a 2 hour "Speed Dating" adventure; where you, the Candidate, basically sit at a table in the HARMAN cafeteria, with a personalized table tent, and do your best to convince Senior and Mid-level managers, as to why you should be on their team,

Not only will you have the opportunity to interact with Senior and Mid-level managers, but you will also have the opportunity to interact with HR and a direct manager as well.

For me, it was a very interesting experience. The Receptionist was super nice, and continuously said "Happy Wednesday!" to staff and visitors.

(*Candidate Tip: Prepare to engage not only with the Hiring/Interview team, but also engage with the Receptionist. As a former Receptionist for a corporate entity, I am well aware of the fact that Receptionists are corporate gatekeepers.)

I waited for about 20-30 minutes in the reception area, while various staff members, and Japanese business associates filtered through the area.

OK, so enough about that...

Here are some Do's and Don'ts:

Do's
    Be prepared with several copies of your resume and references.

Stay actively engaged with, and focused on each hiring panel member. (With all that goes on during one of these Speed-Hiring excursions, just know that you can be tempted to look around at the organized chaos).

Know your narrative, and be able to articulate it.
    (Be able to articulate why you are searching for employment, and actively market your skills, abilities, aptitude, personality, education, and work history. You are your very own PR firm! Be enthusiastic!)

Also, if you've been with an employer for 1 month-12+ years, have an answer ready for why you are wanting to leave. Do not bad mouth your employer.

Be prepared with a short list of questions to ask them. (Always, always, always, "Vet" your potential leaders and supervisors! While some may say that they don't micromanage their employees, just let them talk long enough, and you will find out what you need and want to know. Never, ever be too intimidated to ask questions.)

Do not, and I repeat do not allow yourself to become too comfortable during this 2-hour gauntlet of a psychosocial experiment.
    (These people are very nice, and they will act as if you are already on the team, and this interview is merely a formality. If you allow yourself to become lulled into being chatty with each interviewer, you will basically "186" yourself from this opportunity. Always keep in mind that you are being constantly being assessed, to determine if you will fit in their microcosm of corporate culture.)

Do not become lackadaisical, be watchful of everything that you do and say. (If you live about 25+ miles away from their offices, be aware that this may be used against you during their weeding process.)

Do not allow yourself to mimic their casual dress code.
    (Look the part of a corporate player, act the part, and be what they need, which is someone who plays well with others, appreciates their culture, understands that they are an independent subsidiary of Samsung, and not operated by Samsung**. Act willing and excited to participate in their company functions.)

And I cannot say this enough, please be nice to the Receptionist.

Learn about the company beforehand, but don't be a know it all.
    (I got the feeling that they are somewhat annoyed, when a Candidate mentions Samsung as being the owner of their company. Could be me, but I wouldn't take that chance that if I were you. )

Do not show off your leadership skills for this entry-level position.
    (If you have just as much knowledge/leadership ability as the upper-level leadership team, don't act like a threat, or that you want to advance. Besides, if you have as much experience as the Department Manager, what do they really need you for anyway? Because honestly, if they can get someone who will acquiesce and quickly submit as a subordinate employee with no leadership aspirations; they can pay them a lot less than you.)

If you want the job, be the part.
    (Decide to downplay your desire to transform culture and be a so-called disruptor in their organization. This company doesn't need any transformers/disruptors. I have a feeling that those people were eventually phased out, so go figure.)

Remember, this is all about them and what they need as a unit, not what you need.

Interview Questions

• So tell me about a typical day at your current job?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult Customer Service interaction. How did you resolve it?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to leave your current job?   1 Answer
    • Would you consider yourself to be an organized person?   1 Answer
    • What's your greatest strength and weakness?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Field Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Richardson, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

First I had a phone interview with an HR manager, it wasn't very technical, they just wanted to get an idea if I was qualified for the position.

They called me back and asked if I could do a technical interview with their technical team which we did over web conferencing software. They asked specific questions about my technical background. They also wanted to know how familiar with their products I was. It went well and they assured me that they would call me back for another interview.

They called me back about a week later, and asked if I would fly to Dallas to interview in person. I accepted and they covered my flight and hotel. I had to use vacation time with my current employer because it was in the middle of the week and short notice.

Best way to describe the face to face interview was that it was sort of like speed dating. They sat me down in their cafeteria at a table by my self, and one by one, each of the hiring managers and candidates interviewed me one at a time, with a couple interviewers visiting me more than once. I guess they liked me because they then gave me a tour of the building twice and offered me lunch.

A few days after I got home, they called me to give me an offer. They didn't try to lowball me and gave me exactly what I was hoping for so I didn't have to make a counter offer.

All in all I was impressed with the interview process, though I wish it happened a bit quicker. It took about 3 weeks total.

Public Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HARMAN.

Interview

Unfortunately, I did not even get to the actual interview... I receive an email from a Talent Acquisition Specialist who ask to set up a phone interview, and to make sure I would be willing to commute as I live about 90 minutes from their HQs. I respond a little over an hour later that I am willing to commute and send over times in which I'm able to chat over the phone. The next day, the recruiter responds on a good time for the following day to chat, and I confirm that time 30 minutes later with the number I can be reached at for the call the next day, and that I was looking forward to it.

When the agreed upon time comes, I wait for the call, but she never calls. After 40 minutes, I email the recruiter to say I understand if something came up and ask if she would like to reschedule. She never responds. After about 4 days, I give her a call and leave a message on her voicemail, which is also ignored.

At this point, I get it - HARMAN is probably not the next stop in my career. However, I would just like to receive an explanation for the unprofessional blow-off. So six days following the day we had our phone interview scheduled, I call her office again and she answers. I introduce myself and ask if the job search is still open and if there is some reason why we didn't connect as planned. She then tells me that they already have an offer out to someone, but she'd keep me in mind if things change. I accept that they have moved on, but ask for a reason as to why I there was no follow up after she failed to call at the agreed upon time, to which she says that she did send me an email and it must of landed in my spam. This was untrue as our email correspondence was starred in my gmail account, and I had checked my spam and had no emails from her. Also, she never offered an explanation to why she blew off our call, which was booked for the day after we initially settled on a time.

I understand things happen and the job hunting process is tedious and stressful on both sides. That being said, I believe showing courtesy, honest and respect should be the highest priority for both the interviewer AND the interviewee.

Since my interview experience barely got off the ground with HARMAN, I can't speak to their PR department, or really to the company, but I can only hope that this one talent acquisition specialist can internally acknowledge her poor behavior in this instance and treat future candidates better.

Interview Questions

• Am I okay with commuting into the office, as there is no work from home option?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairview, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HARMAN (Fairview, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

Initial contact after initial screening by Harman employed Executive Recruiter. Harman corporate. Over the phone Interview scheduled 3 Days after receiving resume over Harman website. First question: Why are you wanting to leave your current employer? Second question: Do you have any questions regarding the role? After thorough requests by me for current org structure, site geography, brands in scope, specifics around the role e.g. does he role manage a P&L, etc. I never received an answer to any, no specific answers from the “Executive Recruiter”, she only knew what the job description said and nothing more. Normally the hiring department manages the JD with HR and the recruiter is to confidently understand the roles and resp. Scope of the role, she knew 0.0. Then she quickly seemed to get nervous or offended that she was asked questions she didn’t have answers to and in return made the move to take the upper hand in the conversation. She proceeded to ask me immediately about salary requirements I have, though I didn’t give specifics and then she divulged the salary range. I was already making slightly more in salary with my current role as Director though she explained incentives after 3 years which were enticing. She then went straight to closing the interview without asking a single question about my job experience (+20 years in role of the JD, nothing regarding resume. NOTHING. I asked “would you like to discuss anything about me or my resume?” She replied “No, nothing now, we will call you next week.” That was over 3 weeks ago. She has basically ruined my impression of Harman with a single conversation. Sad. I have a current staff of over 40 Engineers and Senior Managers as well as overall responsibility hiring all the time for our department and if I knew I had an Executive Recruiter single handedly responsible for bringing in good talent only then not able to simply understand a role as well as running off talented capable potential executives I would be finding replacement ASAP. Thanks but no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current role?
      What is your salary requirements?   1 Answer

Warranty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in September 2017.

Interview

1) HR/Recruiter phone screen
    2) Hiring Mgr & his immediate direct reports (2.5 hrs) interview (on-site)
    3) Indirect/supporting Mgrs interviews 2.5 hrs (on-site)
    Reviewed skill-set and job alignment thereof. Discussed recently being acquired by Samsung.

Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HARMAN.

Interview

1. Applied resume
    2. HR interview by phone
    3. Site Interview
    HR asked my salary after basic questions. I don't know why they ask current salary.
    1. Are you familiar with Harman?
    2. Why are you looking or open to leave current position?
    3. What would you ideal position?
    4. Legal right to work in US?
    5. What are you looking for in your next role personally?
    6. Why Harman?
    7. How would your peers?
    8. What do you consider your most valuable skill?
    9. 6 or 7 questions summarise your experience of job

My opinion:
    Why they ask reason leave current position? Are they want liar?
    And not much good job area and condition.
    Disappointed Harman.
    Anyway thanks for refused my job applying.
    I don't want liar looks like car sale man.
    Good luck Harman! Samsung management will come soon.

Interview Questions

• why leave your current position?   2 Answers

Electrical Engineering Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online
    Was called for a two-hour event. During the event, they introduced us to the company and gave us a tour and then we each had individual interviews
    Interview was really easy and they made you feel at ease

Intern Interview

Interview

1st round Phone interview, about 30 minutes. The interviewer described the company and position a little then asked mostly behavioral with some technical explanation of projects. Curious about java and c/c++ experience. Ask for availability and if I was interested in a spring intern position as well and not just summer. Waiting for a second interview possibly..

Cyber Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone interview for about 15 minutes about what is encryption, what school do I attend, etc. Then, i was granted an interview which was with the highest manager in the connected car dept (questions like what classes I took, what do I know about the connected car dept., and what was one of my projects about). From there the requirements manager and an employee interviewed me with questions like, if I competed in capture the Flag, what do I want to be asked that will say the most about me, and other cyber security questions. Lastly, I had a 15 minutes interview with an HR manager who asked basic questions. I wasn't given a position for this internship.

Interview Questions

• What do u like about cyber security?   1 Answer