HARMAN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.9

Engineering Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied through the company website; phone screen interview and 2 days of on-site interview. The recruiter did not provide any feedback, until I received the auto-generated email 8 weeks after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your salary expectations and/or current salary?   Answer Question

Payroll Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HARMAN in May 2016.

Interview

Phone call interview. Not what I expected but the lady was nice and professional. Everything got set up through email but I was informed that the hiring manager decided to give the position to someone internal. I see the position is still open, so I don't think I was told the truth... A bit disappointed.

Interview Questions

• Why I was moving back to CA, what programs I used, how many employees I process payroll for. She described to me what the position consisted of.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northridge, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Northridge, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

short phone interview with HR, than I went in for an hour long interview with the hiring manager, than a half day interview with a senior manager and again with the hiring manager. In the end, I was offered a job but it was changed from a direct to hire position to a contract to hire. When I asked why the change, I was informed it was because I didn't have managerial experience but the position didn't have any direct reports and that managerial experience wasn't requested in the job description. In the end HR wouldn't address my concerns about the change so I passed on the job.

Interview Questions

• Basically, we went over my work history and I than explained how it applied to the current position.   1 Answer

Manager, Global Learning Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online in early Feb. Received an email expressing interest and followed up to schedule a phone interview. Had an initial phone interview with the hiring manager (in Germany) and was told they were on an aggressive timeline, looking to make a quick hiring decision and were excited about my prospects. I had a 2nd interview the next day with another contact in India. That went well, so I had a phone interview with HR in California. Then they scheduled me for two in-person interviews at the office in Novi - one with a potential colleague and the 2nd with an HR Director. In all, 5 interviews that first week. Plus several friendly email exchanges and follow-up calls from HR in California to verify how the interviews were going. I was very impressed that first week. The office in Novi is beautiful and everyone was organized, friendly and efficient. At the end of the interviews in Novi, I was told they had one more week of interviews and would reach a decision in 2 weeks.

This is where it all goes downhill. I wait 7 days before emailing to confirm the 2 week timeframe is still the plan. No response. I wait another week and reach out again, referencing my previous inquiry. I'm told they'll get back to me the following week. The following week: nothing. I follow up and am told one more week. Again, nothing. Finally I get a phone call. I'm told this is an important position and it's "only been posted for 9 weeks", that I need to be patient (despite the expectation THEY set, that it was an aggressive timeline and a decision would be reached much sooner). I'm ***promised*** they will know within 3 days and to expect a call. That doesn't happen. I notice the position is no longer posted. I email HR and cc the hiring manager, which prompts a return call from HR. The HR rep in CA confirms they went with another candidate and she is busy. (Again, then don't promise to call back in 3 days).

All-in-all the process was too drawn-out. The way I was treated as a candidate was disrespectful and inconsiderate. Harman not honoring their communication left me managing my team unconventionally throughout the process so that I was prepared to give notice at any point. If Harman had said the process would take 4-6 weeks, I would have been able to take on projects in the meantime. Stringing me along 1 week at a time with a false sense of urgency left me in a super awkward position at my current role.

Advice to HR: If you aren't interested in a candidate, don't string them along. We have other jobs to do and/or other offers to pursue. Honor the timelines and communication promises you make to candidates. The first week was awesome - if you had actually made a decision within 2 weeks as communicated - for or against me - this would have been a 5 star review. Be consistently kind. The last few weeks of interactions were inconsiderate and rude. Don't lie. I asked how many candidates the decision was down to and was told, "there's no way of knowing, it's a complicated position and we are looking for a particular skill set". Really? I'd rather hear: "Two, and you're our second pick due to___[salary expectations, relocation,...]. If the first choice declines, we'll be in touch. He/She has 48hrs to accept our offer."

GL Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Jordan, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (South Jordan, UT) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter in Stamford, a in person interview with HR and then again with the Director, then a final phone interview with my direct supervisor.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with month end close deadlines?   Answer Question

Principal Acoustic Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in December 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview followed by a longer person to person interview at HQ. The interview process was long due to the absence of the key interviewee but they made sure the process is flawless and easy. You have to prove you are knowledgeable in the field. sending thank you cards post interview helped in the process of having me in mind.

Domain Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Novi, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

3 Telephonic interviews and then an onsite interview with 4 people. Very cordial and professional interview environment and questions were focused on prior roles performed. Recruiter, then hiring manager, Vice President, Peer team of four were the interviewers for this position.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to the positions formerly held and learnings I have incorporated into prior roles.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at HARMAN (Detroit, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through Harman (Michigan) job portal for infotainment software engineer. Initially there was many phone calls and mails asking about my skills, past work etc. Later a month after phone interview was scheduled with HR and the direct manager. HR questions were common like tell me a situation when.... etc. My direct manager asked for problem solving analytical skills

Interview Questions

• How many gas stations are there in a <city> eg: chicago? It was asked to verify your problem solving skills   1 Answer

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HARMAN (Detroit, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

The process was divided into two seperate interviews. The first initial interview was a phone interview. The first interview was easy, just went over the resume in detail and asked questions. If they liked you after that, there was a second interview. This part of the interview process is where they asked you the typical interview questions such as tell me a little about yourself, why would you make a good fit for this company, what do you have to offer this company, etc.

Software Test Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HARMAN (Farmington Hills, MI).

Interview

skype interview first for 45 mins.

Received another email for onsite interview .

This was 3 rounds interview.

1st round - by 2 colleagues of same level .
    2nd Round -by 2 managers .
    3rd round - by HR