HCL Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 18, 2017
1,918 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

There were two rounds. The first was technical, where they asked OOPS question. The next round was HR interview, where they asked about relocation, salary expectations and some behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

This was a strange one. To tell you the truth, it's not really an interview
    that they call you to. I was contacted by a recruiter who told me that I was going to
    interview for a Java software developer position, but actually it's a mass hiring event
    and when I got there I found out they were actually hiring for .NET developers.
    There were groups of about 30 people coming in throughout the day, and from what I
    heard there were only about 5 positions available.

They take you in to do a hand-written
    test, and if you don't score in the top 10% or something like that they won't even talk to you
    (you will not interview). The test everyone was taking when I was there
    was supposedly for .NET (yes I spent the whole week studying Java stuff because of what
    my recruiter told me), but there was not even one .NET question on the test. There was
    one page of SQL questions and one page of general aptitude crap that had little or nothing
    to do with software engineering.

I waited in their cafeteria with the group for 2 1/2 hours, then they called my name and told
    me (among many others) that I wouldn't be getting an offer. Also, literally every engineer
    I saw working there was Indian, and literally every other person I saw working there that was
    not an engineer was white; you can draw your own conclusions... The test papers where also
    chalked up with typos and improper grammar. From what I've seen I don't think I would want
    to work for this organization.

Interview Questions

• Write a SQL statement that gets [3 things] from _______ table and this information,
      sort it by date and group by such and such. What are joins? Explain the various joins
      and how they work. What statement would you use to clear all the data in a table?
      Question about having 3 containers of water and how to measure out 10 gallons from
      what you have. Story problems like "This person is selling oranges.
      She sold 1/2 an orange more than half of what she had, then sold 1/3 of an orange
      from what she had left. Also, she didn't cut any oranges. How many oranges did she
      have to start with?" Pretty ridiculous.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

Call by the recruiter, followed by a phone conversation with the hiring manager and an onsite interview. Finally an interview with the customer. Pretty straight forward technical questions. Salary negotiations were a bit sticky. Requested salary was denied but for some reason they came back to it after a week. Not sure what happened there but since I already accepted the offer I had no problem taking the salary that I asked for originally.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience, How would you handle scenarios   1 Answer

Junior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone screen asked about experience and previous jobs. moved onto a Skype interview which was a technical interview. After the Skype interview a job was offered. I returned their call and asked about salary and benefits.

Automation Dev and QA Engineer - Linux - Firmware - Python Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

it was intrusive, trolling and unprofessional. They wanted to do a vide call on the first contact but I declined as I was with family on a friday at 8:30pm. We were supposed to do a vocal call but I called then no answer.. then the interviewer rescheduled for next monday and refused to answer some of my questions. they trying to find remote people to move from coast to coast on a simple no garantee contract and dont even pay for moving expenses. It is obviously a pro outsourcing company. I dont like that .

Interview Questions

• Here is a series of execrcise. We will judge you on the results of the exercise even though they do not reflect in any way you potential for this Job. we have many people in the pipeline and you are mostly just a filler to make the process look busy: please respond.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

If you have real-world professional web development experience and did not recently graduate with a bunch of programming knowledge from college that you will never use, I wouldn't bother with this interview process. Don't waste your Saturday. I ended up just walking out to go home and work on my current ASP.NET MVC project.

I was told there would be a .NET/C# exam by one of their recruiters. Instead, it was one of those pointless exams asking old college questions about contiguous integers, and pouring different amounts of liquid from various jars to reach the desired amount. I'm surprised that they didn't ask me why manhole covers are round. Apparently they think they are Google. As soon as I saw the test, I knew it was a joke. If you want to see how "creative" I am, look at the work I have produced professionally and ask me questions about those projects.

Red flags I ignored: 1. They wouldn't even work with my salary requirements. 2. Saturday interview. 3. Bad reviews from current/former employees.

If you recently graduated college and have no professional coding/engineering experience, this might be right for you to get your foot in the door, but I would be wary, the employee reviews are still bad.

Interview Questions

• I have three water jugs, one with 10 liters another with 5 and another with 6, how do i get 8 liters on the first one?   4 Answers

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Telephone, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the recuiter for HCL Technologies herself. She very clearly and openly discussed my current salary vs what HCL could offer. She confirmed that with the specific pay rate and bonus discussed it would in fact beat my current salary, so due to that I agreed to commence in the interview process. I first had (2) technical interviews with another Manager over a roughly 1 month period. Following both of those being successful, I was then schedule for a 6am phone call that could accomade a (3rd) technical interview with an India based member of the team. Following that interview, I was then scheduled for a (4th) interview with a SVP in India.

Now being 2 months into the process, the SVP then schedules a 10pm Webex that I was required to attend. After being online 10 minutes early, and for the next 30 minutes, noone showed up. I was then scheduled a (5th) interview with the same SVP at 6am a week later. The SVP again, never appeared online after 30 minutes. At this rate the red flags began to show as I've never in my professional career had an SVP let alone any company not call and/or appear for an interview at the scheduled time. Finally, I was awoken at 6:20am by the recruiter on a Sunday morning asking if I was attending the 6:30am interview, and shockingly, I was unaware of this. I then checked my email to find they had emailed me 5 hours before, at 1:30am about this interview. At this point I now woke up and appeared in the Webex for the (6th) scheduled interview. 30 minutes following this interview, I received a call from the recruiter stating 'Congratulations you have the job.'

Now, already having been rudely scheduled for interviews that never occurred (And we all know how difficult scheduling these around work and daily life can be) I was in the end of the 2nd month of this process, however had verbal confirmation of the position being mine. Next, a few days later I received an email offer that was $15,000 AND 10% Lower in bonus structure than quoted in recruitment. I immediately declined and stated that isn't even close to my current position, nor is it what was agreed upon at the beginning of the process. Ultimately after 3 more email exchanges, I received confirmation the salary would in fact be as promised, however the bonus would still remain 10% lower. I agreed to meet in the middle and leave that offer as such.

Finally, every week I would check-in with the recruiter asking about vacation time, start date, and any information available so I could plan on relocating and establish the items needed to change jobs and living locations. Almost every week I received an email stating "Sorry just waiting on an SVP signature." Knowing this position was offered to me, I had already turned down another position immediately out of respect for that firms hiring process, as well as preparing for this position with HCL.

Fast forward 5 weeks later, end of 3 months since this process started, I received an email from the recruiter stating they were sorry, they decided not to continue this process. Please folks, let all of this soak in for a moment. People who are interviewed for and accepting a management position are not out for the first job on the market, this takes sincere committment, time sacrifice, and deciphering as to a positive future career step. Pay attention to your treatment during the interview process, try not to give a firm as much credit or forgiveness as I did believing they had good intentions, as apparently people here are expendable even after a 3 month long interview process and job offer. The lack of respect throughout the process says enough about what it must be like to work for this firm.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied from CraigsList and got an email/phone call the next day asking to come in on the weekend for a technical exam. The exam was a paper exam with ~30 questions. There were about ~75 people all taking the same exam. The exam was all multiple choice and even though I was applying for the Java Software Development Engineer, the majority of the questions were not java related. I was told 15min later that I did not have a qualifying score to move onto the next round. The pay was too small to begin with so I took the exam half-heartedly. I briefly passed the work area to the exam room and the work area is completely filled with cubicles that nearly reached the ceilings, blocking out everything.

C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

They herded all applicants, of which there were approximately forty, to a written test. The instructions said that we can use pseudocode to solve the problems, but halfway through the test, they said that they wanted actual code, which takes longer to write correctly.

Interview Questions

• Write a program that determines whether a game of tic-tac-toe has been won.   1 Answer

Interview

Initial round with Technical recruiter, next had 2 rounds of interview with Technical General Managers, after that they have arranged interview with customer (Enterprise Architect, Senior Manager & Director). Final round with HR.

Interview Questions

• About overall projects that I worked on and Architecture principles   Answer Question