HCL Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2018
2,049 Interview Reviews

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

Average interview process. Applied online and received email from a recruiter about an interview. A week later I had an onsite interview with an engineer and a manager. Questions about my resume were asked.

Interview Questions

• Basic Javascript/OOP questions. Algorithmic questions and questions about arrays and two sum.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

There were two rounds. The first was technical, where they asked OOPS question. The next round was HR interview, where they asked about relocation, salary expectations and some behavioral questions.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies in September 2017.

Interview

The manager asked me the details of my previous work experience, some other technical questions based on my resume and job description, they also asked about some behavioral questions, relocation and salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

This was a strange one. To tell you the truth, it's not really an interview
    that they call you to. I was contacted by a recruiter who told me that I was going to
    interview for a Java software developer position, but actually it's a mass hiring event
    and when I got there I found out they were actually hiring for .NET developers.
    There were groups of about 30 people coming in throughout the day, and from what I
    heard there were only about 5 positions available.

They take you in to do a hand-written
    test, and if you don't score in the top 10% or something like that they won't even talk to you
    (you will not interview). The test everyone was taking when I was there
    was supposedly for .NET (yes I spent the whole week studying Java stuff because of what
    my recruiter told me), but there was not even one .NET question on the test. There was
    one page of SQL questions and one page of general aptitude crap that had little or nothing
    to do with software engineering.

I waited in their cafeteria with the group for 2 1/2 hours, then they called my name and told
    me (among many others) that I wouldn't be getting an offer. Also, literally every engineer
    I saw working there was Indian, and literally every other person I saw working there that was
    not an engineer was white; you can draw your own conclusions... The test papers where also
    chalked up with typos and improper grammar. From what I've seen I don't think I would want
    to work for this organization.

Interview Questions

• Write a SQL statement that gets [3 things] from _______ table and this information,
      sort it by date and group by such and such. What are joins? Explain the various joins
      and how they work. What statement would you use to clear all the data in a table?
      Question about having 3 containers of water and how to measure out 10 gallons from
      what you have. Story problems like "This person is selling oranges.
      She sold 1/2 an orange more than half of what she had, then sold 1/3 of an orange
      from what she had left. Also, she didn't cut any oranges. How many oranges did she
      have to start with?" Pretty ridiculous.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Written Test:
    Arrive at site, check in with security and wait for the late candidates to arrive. You sit down with a written test already in front of you, one side for SQL questions and other for .NET (You choose which test you want to take). You could tell people were unprepared, taking pictures of the test and looking up answers on their phones as well. You're timed for the written test, then you stay around for about an hour while they grade it. They call names, you're either sent home for not doing well enough of they call you for your first technical interview.

1st Interview: One-on-One
    They ask you to write SQL queries and explain a little bit of your background. Interviewer was pretty friendly and actually helped me through some questions I could not answer. If you pass they send you to another room for the possible candidates to wait in.

2nd Interview: One-on-One
    Same as first, just different scenarios for which you will write SQL queries for. Also friendly interviewer but he was going through emails while interviewing which was kind of rude.

From another interviewer, I was told there is another interview after with HR but my recruiter didn't give me that information prior so i'm not sure if that is true.

After my two interviews I was told they would contact me within a week to let me know if I was chosen for the position. I didn't hear anything back so I contacted my recruiter for a follow up and didn't receive anything.

Rating interview experience negative for heavily lacking professionalism.

Interview Questions

• If you had two tables, how you would DELETE a similar field existing in both tables?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

Call by the recruiter, followed by a phone conversation with the hiring manager and an onsite interview. Finally an interview with the customer. Pretty straight forward technical questions. Salary negotiations were a bit sticky. Requested salary was denied but for some reason they came back to it after a week. Not sure what happened there but since I already accepted the offer I had no problem taking the salary that I asked for originally.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience, How would you handle scenarios   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HCL Technologies in August 2017.

Interview

Two round of Skype interview by the engineers. One round of interview by the Architect. One round of interview by the Manager. They do drug screening also. The offer was made aaround 1 week from the time of 1st round of interview.

Interview Questions

• 1. Coding question from Hakerrank on Scala
      2. Questions on Scala/ Spark/ Cassandra/ Kafka/ Big data   1 Answer

Junior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone screen asked about experience and previous jobs. moved onto a Skype interview which was a technical interview. After the Skype interview a job was offered. I returned their call and asked about salary and benefits.

Automation Dev and QA Engineer - Linux - Firmware - Python Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

it was intrusive, trolling and unprofessional. They wanted to do a vide call on the first contact but I declined as I was with family on a friday at 8:30pm. We were supposed to do a vocal call but I called then no answer.. then the interviewer rescheduled for next monday and refused to answer some of my questions. they trying to find remote people to move from coast to coast on a simple no garantee contract and dont even pay for moving expenses. It is obviously a pro outsourcing company. I dont like that .

Interview Questions

• Here is a series of execrcise. We will judge you on the results of the exercise even though they do not reflect in any way you potential for this Job. we have many people in the pipeline and you are mostly just a filler to make the process look busy: please respond.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

If you have real-world professional web development experience and did not recently graduate with a bunch of programming knowledge from college that you will never use, I wouldn't bother with this interview process. Don't waste your Saturday. I ended up just walking out to go home and work on my current ASP.NET MVC project.

I was told there would be a .NET/C# exam by one of their recruiters. Instead, it was one of those pointless exams asking old college questions about contiguous integers, and pouring different amounts of liquid from various jars to reach the desired amount. I'm surprised that they didn't ask me why manhole covers are round. Apparently they think they are Google. As soon as I saw the test, I knew it was a joke. If you want to see how "creative" I am, look at the work I have produced professionally and ask me questions about those projects.

Red flags I ignored: 1. They wouldn't even work with my salary requirements. 2. Saturday interview. 3. Bad reviews from current/former employees.

If you recently graduated college and have no professional coding/engineering experience, this might be right for you to get your foot in the door, but I would be wary, the employee reviews are still bad.

Interview Questions

• I have three water jugs, one with 10 liters another with 5 and another with 6, how do i get 8 liters on the first one?   4 Answers