HCL Technologies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.8

434 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies in September 2017.

Interview

The manager asked me the details of my previous work experience, some other technical questions based on my resume and job description, they also asked about some behavioral questions, relocation and salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

This was a strange one. To tell you the truth, it's not really an interview
    that they call you to. I was contacted by a recruiter who told me that I was going to
    interview for a Java software developer position, but actually it's a mass hiring event
    and when I got there I found out they were actually hiring for .NET developers.
    There were groups of about 30 people coming in throughout the day, and from what I
    heard there were only about 5 positions available.

They take you in to do a hand-written
    test, and if you don't score in the top 10% or something like that they won't even talk to you
    (you will not interview). The test everyone was taking when I was there
    was supposedly for .NET (yes I spent the whole week studying Java stuff because of what
    my recruiter told me), but there was not even one .NET question on the test. There was
    one page of SQL questions and one page of general aptitude crap that had little or nothing
    to do with software engineering.

I waited in their cafeteria with the group for 2 1/2 hours, then they called my name and told
    me (among many others) that I wouldn't be getting an offer. Also, literally every engineer
    I saw working there was Indian, and literally every other person I saw working there that was
    not an engineer was white; you can draw your own conclusions... The test papers where also
    chalked up with typos and improper grammar. From what I've seen I don't think I would want
    to work for this organization.

Interview Questions

• Write a SQL statement that gets [3 things] from _______ table and this information,
      sort it by date and group by such and such. What are joins? Explain the various joins
      and how they work. What statement would you use to clear all the data in a table?
      Question about having 3 containers of water and how to measure out 10 gallons from
      what you have. Story problems like "This person is selling oranges.
      She sold 1/2 an orange more than half of what she had, then sold 1/3 of an orange
      from what she had left. Also, she didn't cut any oranges. How many oranges did she
      have to start with?" Pretty ridiculous.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Written Test:
    Arrive at site, check in with security and wait for the late candidates to arrive. You sit down with a written test already in front of you, one side for SQL questions and other for .NET (You choose which test you want to take). You could tell people were unprepared, taking pictures of the test and looking up answers on their phones as well. You're timed for the written test, then you stay around for about an hour while they grade it. They call names, you're either sent home for not doing well enough of they call you for your first technical interview.

1st Interview: One-on-One
    They ask you to write SQL queries and explain a little bit of your background. Interviewer was pretty friendly and actually helped me through some questions I could not answer. If you pass they send you to another room for the possible candidates to wait in.

2nd Interview: One-on-One
    Same as first, just different scenarios for which you will write SQL queries for. Also friendly interviewer but he was going through emails while interviewing which was kind of rude.

From another interviewer, I was told there is another interview after with HR but my recruiter didn't give me that information prior so i'm not sure if that is true.

After my two interviews I was told they would contact me within a week to let me know if I was chosen for the position. I didn't hear anything back so I contacted my recruiter for a follow up and didn't receive anything.

Rating interview experience negative for heavily lacking professionalism.

Interview Questions

• If you had two tables, how you would DELETE a similar field existing in both tables?   Answer Question

Automation Dev and QA Engineer - Linux - Firmware - Python Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

it was intrusive, trolling and unprofessional. They wanted to do a vide call on the first contact but I declined as I was with family on a friday at 8:30pm. We were supposed to do a vocal call but I called then no answer.. then the interviewer rescheduled for next monday and refused to answer some of my questions. they trying to find remote people to move from coast to coast on a simple no garantee contract and dont even pay for moving expenses. It is obviously a pro outsourcing company. I dont like that .

Interview Questions

• Here is a series of execrcise. We will judge you on the results of the exercise even though they do not reflect in any way you potential for this Job. we have many people in the pipeline and you are mostly just a filler to make the process look busy: please respond.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

If you have real-world professional web development experience and did not recently graduate with a bunch of programming knowledge from college that you will never use, I wouldn't bother with this interview process. Don't waste your Saturday. I ended up just walking out to go home and work on my current ASP.NET MVC project.

I was told there would be a .NET/C# exam by one of their recruiters. Instead, it was one of those pointless exams asking old college questions about contiguous integers, and pouring different amounts of liquid from various jars to reach the desired amount. I'm surprised that they didn't ask me why manhole covers are round. Apparently they think they are Google. As soon as I saw the test, I knew it was a joke. If you want to see how "creative" I am, look at the work I have produced professionally and ask me questions about those projects.

Red flags I ignored: 1. They wouldn't even work with my salary requirements. 2. Saturday interview. 3. Bad reviews from current/former employees.

If you recently graduated college and have no professional coding/engineering experience, this might be right for you to get your foot in the door, but I would be wary, the employee reviews are still bad.

Interview Questions

• I have three water jugs, one with 10 liters another with 5 and another with 6, how do i get 8 liters on the first one?   4 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied from CraigsList and got an email/phone call the next day asking to come in on the weekend for a technical exam. The exam was a paper exam with ~30 questions. There were about ~75 people all taking the same exam. The exam was all multiple choice and even though I was applying for the Java Software Development Engineer, the majority of the questions were not java related. I was told 15min later that I did not have a qualifying score to move onto the next round. The pay was too small to begin with so I took the exam half-heartedly. I briefly passed the work area to the exam room and the work area is completely filled with cubicles that nearly reached the ceilings, blocking out everything.

C# Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

They herded all applicants, of which there were approximately forty, to a written test. The instructions said that we can use pseudocode to solve the problems, but halfway through the test, they said that they wanted actual code, which takes longer to write correctly.

Interview Questions

• Write a program that determines whether a game of tic-tac-toe has been won.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Grand Rapids, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

Had a phone call.After that F2F interview held.They have gone through resume and asked about all the technologies used in current project and what you have done in your current project

Web Developer for Microsoft Client Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got a call from a consultancy for opening at HCL America for Microsoft client. They setup the interview after 2 days at 11 a.m.
    I reached there half hr early and was asked to wait at the cafeteria.
    After around 20-25 mins, they called me for the interview round.
    It was whiteboard interview and all technical.

Still waiting for response from the recruiter about the offer.

Interview Questions

• 1. Brief about your work experience   Answer Question
    • 2. write a code to print first n even numbers   1 Answer
    • 3. write a code to return the sum of digits of a number   Answer Question
    • 4. Write an sql query to display employee name and manager name from Employee Table   2 Answers
    • 5. For the following table structure:
      Create Table tbl( A int, B int)
      Insert into tbl values ( 0,1)
      Insert into tbl values ( 1, 0)

what is wrong with this query:
      Select A B from tbl   1 Answer
    • 6.difference between Store procedures and functions   1 Answer
    • 7.how many primary keys allowed on 1 table and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

**WORST EXPERIENCE EVER**
    Two rounds of Interview.
    1st round: Some basic questions from Java/J2EE, Spring, Hibernate, RESTful over skype
    2nd round: Some behavioral questions over skype
    they confirmed me after few days and asked details for bgv verification. They told me you will get joining letter 1 or 2 days. I resigned from my company after confirmation. He kept telling me you will receive joining letter tomorrow or maximum in this week. He rarely picked my call and never replied to my email. After a month, he picked my call and told me we are not hiring. This could be the worst think ever can happen with me.